Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 21:13   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
Where did you keep your Indigo? Wonderful to see Nano doing the Segur ghats. Thats the ultimate test of the machine
Roy, Had to get rid of it with a heavy heart. Check out threads started by me and see the closure. I wanted to get rid of car EMI for a 2nd home loan eligibility.

I did not know the masinagudi route was called segur ghats. Not only the ascent is a test for the engine + gear box combo - the Descend is a BIGGER test for BRAKES, where the nano failed nearly!!! with no discs - it is a different story - coming up later...
Old 30th March 2010, 21:43   #17
Senior - BHPian

Continued..........

Then at last my dream destination of this trip is before me...

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-museum_1024x768.jpg

Its is a unassuming old building. Poorly maintained because of lack of funds from TN Govt. This place was setup by Tamil University in Tanjore. Primary motive to learn and collect info about tribes of south india. I went in at 3ish in after noon and had the gardener volunteer as a guide. Was a intelligent well informed chap. He did not ask for any $$$ upfront. After 2 hours, while walking out, I paid him 100Rs and he was VERY happy...

Let me exhibit a few of the many collections inside the museum

The tribes of Niligiris Map...

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-tribes-niligris_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-tribes-closeup_1024x768.jpg

Model Toda Hut

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-model-toda-hut_1024x768.jpg

Kota Tribe Temple

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-kota-temple_576x768.jpg

Agri implements - Kannikaran

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-agri-kannikaran_576x768.jpg

Bee hive (this is a BIG business for many tribes)

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-bee-hive_1024x768.jpg

Bird Trap Kannikaran:

This tribe doesnt believe in killing a living thing and taking its life painfully. Aka the Halal principle. These arrows are actually lined with a sticky bark gum - and when shot at the bird, the bird's wings get stuck and the bird falls out of the sky. Then I did not bother asking how its killed.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-bird-trap-kannikaran_576x768.jpg

Clay Toys

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-clay-toys_1024x768.jpg

Clayware

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-clayware_576x768.jpg

Cooking pot + Holder - since the round bottom vessel will roll over on coal/wood, the holder keeps it in place.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-cooking-pot-holder_576x768.jpg

Deer Horns

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-deer-horns_1024x768.jpg

Divine Lamps

Name:  divine lamps_576x768.jpg
Views: 3620
Size:  48.0 KB

Divine Symbol Toda

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-divine-symbol-toda_576x768.jpg

Fire - The Toda's and few other tribes believe FIRE is a PURE form of God's energy, and they dont use STORED fire. (Matchbox, etc, etc). All cooking fires, Temple Fires - are LIT using this ONLY. How many ever minutes, hours it takes - they will GENERATE fire using this quartz tipped stick and a wood bark and some dry leaves/grass and make FIRE.

(Probably they need a nano )

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-fire_576x768.jpg

Irular - Flutes

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-irular-flutes_576x768.jpg

Kannikaran - Irrigation System

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-kanikaran-irrigation-system_576x768.jpg

Misc

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-misc_1024x768.jpg

Mortar + Pestle - Kanikaran

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-mortar-pestle-kannikaran_576x768.jpg

Terracota Necklace

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-terracota-necklace_1024x768.jpg

Transparent Toda Hut

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-transp-toda-hut_1024x768.jpg

Trumpets

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-trumpets_1024x768.jpg

Walking stick Toda

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-walking-stick-toda_576x768.jpg

Wooden Toys - Kattunayakan

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-wooden-toys-kattunayakan_1024x768.jpg

-----------
More in the museum later......
Old 30th March 2010, 22:49   #18
Senior - BHPian

Continuing.......

Andaman Jarawas are a special tribe on the evolution of Man map. Google for it... their population is dangerously low.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-andaman-jarawas-hut_576x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-jarawas-pics_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-bw-tribe-pics_1024x768.jpg

Did you know? Toda tribe is pure vegetarian. I felt ashamed on hearing that. :(

These buffalo heads are only sacrificed along with a dead man to be his company in the after life. Buffalo's are GOD for the todas.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-cremated-buffalo-heads1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-cremated-buffalo-heads_1024x768.jpg

Jewels....

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-jewel1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-jewel2_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-jewel_1024x768.jpg

Kitchen Items

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-kitchen-items_1024x768.jpg

Kota Pics

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-kota-pics_1024x768.jpg

Tribal Paintings

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-paintings-tribals1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-paintings-tribals2_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-paintings-tribals_1024x768.jpg

Random Pics

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics2_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics3_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics4_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics5_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-pics_1024x768.jpg

The man - More on him later...

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-prof.hrudayanath_576x768.jpg

Outside valley view with School

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-rear-view-valley1_1024x768.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view valley1_1024x768.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	319061

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-rear-view-valley3school_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-rear-view-valley_1024x768.jpg

I was the last visitor for the day - shutter closed.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-shutterclosed_1024x768.jpg

It is easy to miss the entrance. I missed it and went 3Kms ahead.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-busstop-name1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-busstop-name_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-enterance_1024x768.jpg

Toda Wedding - Interesting Story

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-bow-arrow-wedding1_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-bow-arrow-wedding_1024x768.jpg

It is something akin to a live-in relation, but more pure in its thoughts.

If a Toda man likes a girl, he can approach her family and if they approve, along with her - he can take the girl away to his house for Rs1.25. Yes - 1 rupee, 25 paisa.

If within 7 months - the girl conceives - there is a grand function - called the bow and arrow function. Here the man and woman get married...

Else - The girl is sent back to her home, and the man goes in search of another bride. (Dont ask me about the girl, i dare not to ask the guide).

This is practiced to ensure the population of the tribe grows...

---------------------
End of museum trip and day 2, next trip to a secluded view point where the AMMA of TN resides (controversially tho)
Attached Thumbnails
nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-rear-view-valley2_1024x768.jpg  

Last edited by svsantosh : 30th March 2010 at 22:54.
Old 31st March 2010, 21:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Google Earth Location

These are the Google earth location with co-ordinates of Tribal Research Center and the big good shepherd school which will one will cross on the way...

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-trc.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-trc1.jpg
Old 31st March 2010, 22:27   #20
BHPian

A different travelogue. Very educative, thanks for sharing..
Old 31st March 2010, 22:57   #21
kkg
BHPian

I
Quote:
did not know the masinagudi route was called segur ghats. Not only the ascent is a test for the engine + gear box combo - the Descend is a BIGGER test for BRAKES, where the nano failed nearly!!! with no discs - it is a different story - coming up later...
[/quote]

Sorry sir. I couldn't hold to my patience. Kindly elaborate on the braking performance as i am also going for a long drive to Shimla next week.

BTW very informative travelogue.
Old 31st March 2010, 23:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

I'm glued to this thread. Heartening to see a Nano making it all the way up.

Yes, please do provide details about the descent! I'm planning to do Ooty in Indica, in two weeks.
Old 1st April 2010, 11:56   #23
BHPian

I am going to ooty tomorrow and this is a timely travelogue. Very informative too. Thanks.

p.s. Can you elaborate on the road condition, especially thru nanjangaud, gundulpet, bandipur?
Old 1st April 2010, 12:35   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
A different travelogue. Very educative, thanks for sharing..
You are most welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
Sorry sir. I couldn't hold to my patience. Kindly elaborate on the braking performance as i am also going for a long drive to Shimla next week..
More here. If you are doing ghats in a nano - just watch out for the braking perf. You can feel the 'fade' or lack of braking perf getting bigger and bigger. Learn to pump all the way down to ~0 and pick up speed. Can be VERY annoying!!

Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajushank84 View Post
I'm glued to this thread. Heartening to see a Nano making it all the way up. Yes, please do provide details about the descent! I'm planning to do Ooty in Indica, in two weeks.
Thanks.

Nothing big to note about the descent. Just keep shifting between 1-2nd gears. 3rd is a big risk and you can manage it with some spectacular hard braking with 36 hair-pin bends withing a 10Km distance and climbing down nearly 2000Meters. Better stay slow and dont exceed 30KmPh.

Oh and while climbing with a diesel engine - stay in the mid-torque revs, else you will nearly stall. Enter a hairpin say in 3rd gear, cut down to 2nd and rev your way out of it. Come down to 1st, if in 2nd. Ghats are a pain for diesel. I did this in a Indigo CS TDI too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttingcrew View Post
I am going to ooty tomorrow and this is a timely travelogue.... Can you elaborate on the road condition, especially thru nanjangaud, gundulpet, bandipur?
Thanks.

Tarmac, the surface, is absolutely fine. Just watch out for the infinite humps. Else, I did Ooty Bustand - BTM 2nd stage (bangy) in 4Hrs 30Mins FLAT in a tiny nano. Maxed out at 90, didnt go beyond that.

Last edited by svsantosh : 1st April 2010 at 12:37.
Old 1st April 2010, 12:47   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Oh and while climbing with a diesel engine - stay in the mid-torque revs, else you will nearly stall. Enter a hairpin say in 3rd gear, cut down to 2nd and rev your way out of it. Come down to 1st, if in 2nd. Ghats are a pain for diesel. I did this in a Indigo CS TDI too.
Thanks much. My Indica is petrol though, so I guess it should be somewhat easier .
Old 1st April 2010, 12:58   #26
BHPian

Thanks for the road info.

Quote:
I did Ooty Bustand - BTM 2nd stage (bangy) in 4Hrs 30Mins FLAT in a tiny nano. Maxed out at 90, didnt go beyond that.
That is impressive. 4 and 1/2 hrs in any car is really good, but in Nano ...
Old 2nd April 2010, 22:35   #27
BHPian

A most informative and interesting trip to tribal living in a Nano. Thanks Svsantosh
Old 2nd April 2010, 23:07   #28
BHPian

Quote:
You are most welcome.
...... Ghats are a pain for diesel. I did this in a Indigo CS TDI too.
Aren't the diesels equipped with more torque so less changing of gears?
I have a RE (which has undersquare configuration - so more torque) and I love the ascents - no vroom vroom of the plastics. Have a little trouble in the ghats though - but is think that may be due to my riding skills.
Old 3rd April 2010, 19:49   #29
Senior - BHPian

Last Day of the trip.

26-Mar-10
Friday

The last day of the trip, Friday, was planned for a different kind of a view point. Its pretty faaar from Ooty town. 52Kms to be exact. It is called - KODANADU View point. Google for kodanadu and most likely you will end up with a controversial estate row!! I actually did not realize I pass 'the' estate just a KM before the view point. Whew!! What a place to have a vacation place for your own!!

The view point was nothing much, since it was a very cloudy day. There is some rock Peak near this point. Can anyone identify this cliff? Looked great.

Oh, and some of the most pretty nano-moment was here... just couldnt miss the nano pic.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01142_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01143_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01144_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01145_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01146_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01147_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01148_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01152_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01157_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01158_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01159_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01165_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01166_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01167_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01168_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01171_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01174_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01175_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-nano3_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-nano_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-nano2_1024x768.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-nano1_576x768.jpg

--------------------At last saw a Toda Temple in Real-----------

Just before the kodanadu view point, I saw this REAL temple of the Toda tribe. I felt very lucky.

Notice the TINY enterance. This is a signature of their construction. 2 reasons. 1) Bow your head to your home as a mark of respect 2) Conserve heat and retain it inside the home.

Njoy.

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-temple.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-temple1.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-temple2.jpg

nanoLogŪ - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-temple3.jpg

--------------------------

On saturday, started at 1PM in afternoon and reached bangalore at 530PM. Hope you njoyed the tribes of South India.

The End

Last edited by svsantosh : 3rd April 2010 at 19:54. Reason: The End................
Old 5th April 2010, 11:07   #30
BHPian

Good one!! Loaded with pics!! I am looking forward to my trip to Mysore to see the rail buses (?).

How was the power of the car in the Ghats?

I am sure the competition is burning the Nano's to keep it from succeeding

Most Viewed

Copyright Đ2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks