Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2010, 19:15   #1
Senior - BHPian

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...

To burn, or not to be burned...!

With all the 'fire' around the nano, I planned a cool get-away at Ooty. I am not going to write a lot, but compensate with pics.

Car - Tata nano
Pax - Me and wife
Luggage - lots of it for 4 days
Route - Bangy-Mysore-Masinagudi-Ooty (& Back)
Total Kms - ~735Kms
Avg FE - 25 on plains and 16 in the hills
Camera - P&S Sony DSC-750
----------
Primary Objective - The NMR train ride + Learn about the tribes of South India
----------

Day:1
24-Mar-2010

Get out of home with full luggage and a fuller tank. Roads are pretty empty on the mysore strech. Eat at Kamat and rush past Mysore before 730. Spotted the famous Bus Train at najanud.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-train.jpg

Reached Theppakadu where the road splits (1) to Masinagudi and (2) to Gudalur. I had a moment of thought (serious one) before taking the left to masinagudi route. I told wifey to keep her ear's and nose' open for --you know what --.

Saw some cute deer's on the way at bandipur. Also, wifey clicked a pretty peacock.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-deer.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-deer1.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-deer2.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-peack.jpg

The STRAIN:

Crossed masinagudi at 11AM. Within a few kms 'the' 1st hair pin looked down upon my tiny nano and said 'so you dare to?'.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-3636.jpg

With a heavy mind, I took it and half way I heard the 'klink-klink' knocking sound in 2nd gear. Slowly slotted into 1st and took each of the 36 bends with patience. I stopped around half way to let the pots cool themselves.

Finally around 45 mins later saw this... Whew. (its in reverse, 1st being at ooty level, 36th at ground level).

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-136.jpg

Wow - I told wife 'congrats on not becoming toast'. After this acid test, every other KM was pure abuse to the sorry car.

Gave a damn for each pothole, speed bump, and such stuff.

After whiling away the day, clicked the famous 'Charring Cross' fountain. It looked better than these pics.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-foun.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-foun1.jpg

The hotel darshan we stayed in looked nicely lit up.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-hotel.jpg

We took the 6th and topmost floor for this view.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-hotel-view.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-view.jpg

To be Contd...
Coming up - the NMR Ride.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Day 2:
25-Mar-10

(1st half of the day)

I had done this train ride only once back in 2000. Wifey had done ooty only once before, and never the NMR. I had booked the tickets only 1 day ago on IRCTC website. Paid ~100Rs for 1 1st class ticket. Later found out the 2nd class is only 3:00Rs!!! BTW, these prices are for Coonor - Ooty only. The Mettupalayam-Coonor route is still closed for repair work due to the land slides of 2009. I feel that route is more scenic and breath taking...

I am going to post a handful of pics from this ride.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00821_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00832_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00836_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00840_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00857_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00863_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00864_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00867_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00876_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00877_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00881_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00883_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00892_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00893_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00894_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00897_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00898_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00944_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00970_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00973_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00985_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc00989_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01001_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01011_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01012_1296x972.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-dsc01013_1296x972.jpg

These pics are of both to & fro Ooty-Coonor. I parked the nano outside Ooty railway station for 10Rs. This ride starts at 915AM and reaches Coonor at 1020. The reverse ride leaves at 1040 and reaches at 1140AM.

The return journey put my 'dabba' ahead of the train. Had a good open ride back. The pic of the 2 school girls was a scary experience for me, but common for them. The guard becomes the driver in the reverse ride and he keeps honking constantly to alert the track walkers. These girls cleared the track just in time...!! (pic doesnt show it)

-------------------------------------------------------------

2nd half of the day was more interesting in the tribal musuem... To be Contd.

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th March 2010 at 20:31.
Old 28th March 2010, 20:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

The more I see this train, the more I want to do it. Planning to do this in next month or two. But surely before THIS monsoon!
Old 29th March 2010, 10:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

Nice start SVSANTOSH! I have been to Ooty may be 15 times since childhood since my aunt is settled there, but never been able to make the train trip and was so desparate to have it this time. So sad the Mettupalayam - Coonor stretch is spoiled in the land slide, any idea on the expected time of restoration?
Old 29th March 2010, 10:53   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice travelogue. Keep going.

Though I have passed through Nanjangud many times, never seen the bus-train. Where does one spot them exactly?
Old 29th March 2010, 11:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
But surely before THIS monsoon!
For once, I prayed it doesnt rain again in niligiris this year. Else, what ever is left of the bridge (in pics) will also get washed away!! Hurry before it rains...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
...any idea on the expected time of restoration?
The TT told probably by next 1 month to meet the season rush, but you know these things take time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbraj View Post
Where does one spot them exactly?
Just before Nanjangud from mysore side, there is a pretty long bridge (over a river, name?). To its left you will see 3 regular train 'dabbas'. A lil' further you will see this 2 rail buses. You can actually drive upto it and step in, if you want to.
Old 29th March 2010, 11:38   #7
MCR
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
Just before Nanjangud from mysore side, there is a pretty long bridge (over a river, name?). To its left you will see 3 regular train 'dabbas'. A lil' further you will see this 2 rail buses. You can actually drive upto it and step in, if you want to.
Its kapila River. Excellent travelog svsantosh.

May be you can mail this to Tata to boost their spirits.
Old 30th March 2010, 11:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
May be you can mail this to Tata to boost their spirits.
+1 and hopefully they come clean on the 4 fire incidents. They are still MUM!!!

Guys, caught up with work, will continue to post pics today eve.
Old 30th March 2010, 12:59   #9
BHPian

Somethings amiss with this thread and i think its the photo of the Nano
Old 30th March 2010, 14:09   #10
BHPian

Quite a great positive spirit that you have, a bunch of nanos burning on one side and here on the other side you venture out on a long drive and that too a hill drive ! Kudos !

Very well written, I wish the Coonor-M'palayam stretch gets repaired asap.
Old 30th March 2010, 14:19   #11
BHPian

Thats a nice way to be Nanoed SVsanthosh. You mentioned that you waited for the engine to cool down in the ghats. Was there a raise in engine collant temperature?
Old 30th March 2010, 17:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranava999 View Post
Somethings amiss with this thread and i think its the photo of the Nano
Yes,Sigh. Will come up tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
Quite a great positive spirit that you have, a bunch of nanos burning on one side and here on the other side you venture out on a long drive and that too a hill drive...
thx. This trips main agenda was to push the nano to its limits. Next trip hopefully to a higher hill station in south...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElantraGT View Post
Thats a nice way to be Nanoed SVsanthosh. You mentioned that you waited for the engine to cool down in the ghats. Was there a raise in engine collant temperature?
Nope. Just a precaution not to get fried/BBQ'd!!!
Old 30th March 2010, 17:34   #13
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Nothing can beat the charm of the mountain railways. Many of the photos show the debris left behind by the landslides. I've missed ooty till now. Even my father-in-law asked whether he can arrange our honeymoon in Ooty. I turned it down and ran away to the himalayas with my wife. Never told family where we were for 10 days. Guess, I should target a trip to Ooty and ride this iconic train which has found it's place in touching scenes of many movies. Sadma (moonram pirai) and Kilukkam to name a few.
Old 30th March 2010, 20:41   #14
Senior - BHPian

Continuing.......

After the train ride, we had lunch back at the Hotel darshan. Couldnt resist a nice warm afternoon pic outside the room.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-hotel.jpg

The tribal museum is in a place called M.Palada. M.Palada houses one of the largest schools 'I' have ever seen in my life. Later I googled for Good Sheperd International School and learnt about it.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-good-shep.jpg

On the way to the Museum I crossed a funny place.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-hilarious.jpg

This part of niligiris is famous for carrot farming... which meant - pics time for the nano for the 1st time.

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-car-road.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-carrot.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-carrot1.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-carrot-1.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-rear.jpg

What a School!!

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-schol1.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-school-car.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-side.jpg

nanoLog® - Bangalore-Masinagudi-Ooty & Back with a different agenda...-side1.jpg

Then came the Tribal Museum...

To be Contd
Old 30th March 2010, 20:56   #15
Senior - BHPian

Nice one svsantosh, Where did you keep your Indigo? Wonderful to see Nano doing the Segur ghats. Thats the ultimate test of the machine.

The train reminds our trip there early last year. Keep the pics flowing.

Abhi

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks