Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2010, 21:53   #16
BHPian

Sorry folks. Got busy with my convocation, and then the return trip, so could not post further. Anyway, trips done, cars in fine fettle and I am all ready to post the details of the rest of the days.

Day 3 : This was our day off, as we were just chilling at my grandparents place in BBSR. I got up early and went along with my grandpa to buy some fresh fish and prawns for lunch. After breakfast, and a shower, the four of us went to Lingaraj temple. A quick tour cut short by the searing heat, we were back and home for the fish and prawns. After lazing around for a bit post lunch I decided to take my friends to Udayagiri caves and so around 4pm we head there, check out the caves and get back. Went to the club for dinner, and hit the sack by 11.

Day 4: Final day to Kolkata. Left by 7:30 AM, and were speeding down towards calcutta on the 4 lane road, with me behind the wheel. Around balasore the road becomes single lane, and your usual array of diversions begin, but the stretch is still better than the BBSR - berhampur stretch we had experienced on day 4. Its much shorter too, and soon the 4 lane highway began again, most of it now thought was cement road and not tar, so a little more tyre noise. Entered bengal, big line of trucks, but there was space inbetween for us to go through, unlike the AP - Orissa border which was chaos. Around 1:15PM we get stuck in this huge jam at Debra. A truck had run over a worker, and they blocked the road. The jam mustve stretched for kms, we were near the head of it though. We got down, and walked around town, and finally after an hour, they some agreement was reached, and the block was removed. Traffic was sparse, as everyone was stuck in the jam, and we reached kolkata in an hour. Drove through park street, thinking we will have a late lunch, but couldn't figure out where to park so went down to alipore and ate at dominos. Then hit the Diamond Harbor road and reached campus by 5. A sense of achievement overcame all of us, as it was our first road trip sans elders. The whole evening was spent telling people "yes, we did drive down from Hyd to Cal"

The bridge over the Mahanadi just after leaving Cuttack
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040587.jpg

The river is almost totally dry, save for this small part of water near the bank
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040588.jpg

Once the 4 lane highways started
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040591.jpg

Cement Surface Roads
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040593.jpg

Not much of greenery in these part of Bengal
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040594.jpg

The board for the Vidyasagar Setu
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040595.jpg

It's finally visible. Yay!!
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040599.jpg

Eden gardens from the bridge
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040603.jpg

On the Vidyasagar Setu
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040604.jpg

Victoria Memorial
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040606.jpg

Road leading to Ft. William
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040608.jpg

Driving past Victoria Memorial.
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040609.jpg

The ancient, wooden Blue buses of Kolkata
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040610.jpg

Final Tripmeter reading
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040611.jpg

Resting at New Hostel, IIM Calcutta
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040613.jpg
Old 19th April 2010, 18:59   #17
BHPian

Very nice travelogue dude, and a heck of a trip! Nice pictures, thanks for sharing.
Old 19th April 2010, 19:04   #18
Team-BHP Support

By the way its only 50% complete. Where is the return trip !
Congrats on the vehicle, drive and also the degree!

Where are the convocation snaps ?
Old 19th April 2010, 20:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
By the way its only 50% complete. Where is the return trip !
Congrats on the vehicle, drive and also the degree!

Where are the convocation snaps ?

well, I was all set and edited images to post for the return trip, but after day 3 of the hyd- cal leg i got no replies, so deferred its posting. If you guys are up for it, I shall start posting the return leg from tonight itself ( with a few convo pics )
Old 19th April 2010, 20:18   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhuvan_prasad View Post
well, I was all set and edited images to post for the return trip, but after day 3 of the hyd- cal leg i got no replies, so deferred its posting. If you guys are up for it, I shall start posting the return leg from tonight itself ( with a few convo pics )
Well every one is game for a drive. If not, at least read about one !
Is it not ?
Old 19th April 2010, 22:56   #21
BHPian

Hey dude,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. This thread title did sound odd like an ad, but only after following your initial ownership thread on Ritz, I landed here.

Road trip from Hyderabad to Kolkata, Wow! Should have been a wonderful long drive on your new car. Glad to know that your windshield replacement was covered by the Insurance.

Come on mate, please post your return journey as well along with some convocation pictures!
Old 19th April 2010, 23:21   #22
BHPian

The Convocation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Hey dude,

Thanks for sharing your pictures. This thread title did sound odd like an ad, but only after following your initial ownership thread on Ritz, I landed here.

Road trip from Hyderabad to Kolkata, Wow! Should have been a wonderful long drive on your new car. Glad to know that your windshield replacement was covered by the Insurance.

Come on mate, please post your return journey as well along with some convocation pictures!
The windshield was not covered by insurance, but by warranty. I did not have to claim insurance.

Here goes then, the convocation. Come April 3rd, and mixed emotions grappled most of us. We were happy that finally we were going to pass out of an illustrious institute like IIM-C, but also sad that this also meant the end of student life, frivolity and a lot of other things. I have no work experience, and so for me its been one long ride studying continuously till the age of 23, and entering the corporate world now, is one big, looming challenge. Anyway, after a snack/lunch we all headed to our respective robing rooms. The robes were quite crumpled, but from far, it wasn't that apparent. The hat did not fit my big head properly We queued up, and marched, as we had rehearsed earlier into the auditorium. A quick speech later, the degree handing out process begun.

I had taken part in my convocation during B.Tech, unlike a few of my other friends, so considered myself quite an expert at convocations. Little did I know what was in store. So ya, my name was called out, I start to climb/jog up the pair of stairs to the stage and trip on the stairs, as I'm not used to my formal shoes. My hat falls down, and everybody is laughing. Grinning away to glory, I pickup the hat, press it down, and get my degree from Mr. Ajit Balakrishnan, our esteemed alumnus and head of the board, IIMC and rediff. On my way out, I bow to the chief guest as we were told, and my hat again pops off my head, and I swiftly put my hand up to hold it in place. More laughter. SO yeah, I made a very boring and serious procedure funny, but in the process woke up a few of my friends who were sleeping awaiting their turn.

I would have mentioned what the chief guest and all spoke about, but I doubt there would be many takers for it. Nonetheless, if anybody wants to discuss such stuff I'm game.

The stage upon our entry - all set
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040664.jpg

Getting my degree
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040684.jpg

Mr. Ajit Balakrishnan talking
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040698.jpg

Dr. Sandeep Pandey talking
Go on a Roadtrip, Come back with an MBA-p1040700.jpg
Old 20th April 2010, 11:56   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Man.
Hope you have a wonderful career ahead .

Cheers
God bless
Old 20th April 2010, 12:07   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan on your succesful programme completion and offcourse the long drive on the new baby Ritty.
Old 20th April 2010, 12:36   #25
BHPian

Your Thread Made for a wonderful read.

Wishing you a wonderful Journey('s) Ahead!
Old 20th April 2010, 12:46   #26
BHPian

Congratulations, Bhuvan on graduation !

And wonderful travelogue.

Cheers.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:18   #27
BHPian

Congrats Bhuvan! You mentioned about feeling sad for ending student life for good. Believe me, the pain will be more accute a few years later when you read about someone else's convocation. Your thread brought back memories of my own convocation from IIMB, all those years ago. Try to attend Hyd TBHP meets one of these days, before you join the rat race of corporate world.
Old 20th April 2010, 14:32   #28
BHPian

Congrats...on all Counts!!!

Hi Bhuvan,

Going through your travelogue was reminiscent of the same trip I had done on my Enfield Electra during 5th to 7th April 2009 (the travelogue should there somewhere in this section).

You finished your MBA and went for your drive, while I took my ride just before I quit my job and joined my MBA

TO the nice car, good drives and a great career ahead!!
Cheers!
Old 20th April 2010, 14:38   #29
Team-BHP Support

Nice perspectives. Complementary !
I have never attended a convo till date. All degrees came by post .

I hope for my next one I am there. But I dont need to drive so long for that !
Old 20th April 2010, 16:39   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoudhury View Post
Congrats Man.
Hope you have a wonderful career ahead .

Cheers
God bless
thanks a lot for the wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacs View Post
Congrats Bhuvan on your succesful programme completion and offcourse the long drive on the new baby Ritty.
thank you, both took some effort, but were a lot of fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshkishore View Post
Your Thread Made for a wonderful read.

Wishing you a wonderful Journey('s) Ahead!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulations, Bhuvan on graduation !

And wonderful travelogue.

Cheers.
Really glad you find it nice to read. I just write as I think, barely stopping to correct spelling and punctuation. Have changed my tense too, I noticed later at some places. And, thanks for your wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Congrats Bhuvan! You mentioned about feeling sad for ending student life for good. Believe me, the pain will be more accute a few years later when you read about someone else's convocation. Your thread brought back memories of my own convocation from IIMB, all those years ago. Try to attend Hyd TBHP meets one of these days, before you join the rat race of corporate world.
I can imagine, sorry to cause you that pain . I would love to attend Hyd TBHP meets before I leave which in may 2nd. Do keep me in the loop. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justROYal View Post
Hi Bhuvan,

Going through your travelogue was reminiscent of the same trip I had done on my Enfield Electra during 5th to 7th April 2009 (the travelogue should there somewhere in this section).

You finished your MBA and went for your drive, while I took my ride just before I quit my job and joined my MBA

TO the nice car, good drives and a great career ahead!!
Cheers!
Lovely toast I say, was not working before my MBA, so was quite young, and thus couldn't have driven to my MBA unlike you. All the best for your final year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Nice perspectives. Complementary !
I have never attended a convo till date. All degrees came by post .

I hope for my next one I am there. But I dont need to drive so long for that !
How many degrees do you plan on collecting?? Make sure you attend this one, and don't trip on your way up

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks