Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2010, 09:29   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Ranga - Is it possible to cover the Navagrahas in one single day ? Are there good places to stay at Kumbakonam, assuming that one cant complete the navagrahas in one day ? This is one trip my wife is wanting to do for a long time and your inputs will certainly help us plan one this winter.
It is almost impossible to cover all the Navagrahas in one day because they are spread out in all directions from Kumbakonam. Besides, all of them close between approximately 11 am and 3-4 pm, which means that even if you leave very early in the morning, it is still difficult to cover all of them in the morning and evening hours. And if you are doing special poojas in any, that will add to the time taken at each. Ideally, you can do in 2 days.

Sorry, Ranga, for the interruption.

You must also check out with GSMINC who does the Navagraha circuit almost every month, and he does it pretty quick.
Old 18th May 2010, 09:42   #17
BHPian

Navagraha temple No 1 - Thirunallar -

As it was a Saturday , It was suggested to visit Thirunallar temple first . Thirunallar is app 50 Kms from Kumbakonnam . Roads is very narrow and not that great . The road from Kumbakonnam takes u to Pondy district . Once u enter Pondy district , u have a security gate . We are supposed to enter our car numbers , our name and a 20Rs courtesy tip to the fully drunk Police guarding the borders .

Moon Park Hotel stay for Day 2 .

We went to Moon park Hotel for our stay on Day 2 . Booked a family room and started unpacking .

Bath in Nala Kola : When u visit the Thirunallar temple , u have to have a bath in the Nala Kola ..( Place for having bath ) . Its also a practice that u leave a old cloth of urs after u have ur bath here .

After finishing the bath , we went back to our Hotel . As there was a heavy rush in the temple , I took help of a guide who was available in the Moon park Hotel

His name is Rajkumar ( He can be contacted on Phone : 09865283982)

He arranged a quick Darshan in the temple and had a special archanam + darshanam in the temple premises . After having a satisfactory Darshan , we went to light the Thila deep am
One can contact the above guide if u want to have a very quick darshan of all 9 Navaragha temples . These guys know shorter routes and can take u faster from temple after temple .

We took Rajkumar service only for Thirunallar . Please note the photograph of the Thirunallar Shani mahatma temple was provided by friends from Tamil Nadu for this Travelogue . Camera is not allowed inside the temple ...
Attached Thumbnails
Srirangam- Tanjavur - Navaragraha Temple - Travelogues-navagraha-temple-thirunallar-shani-bhagawan.jpg  

Old 18th May 2010, 10:03   #18
Senior - BHPian

Is Rajkumar Guide based in Tirunallar or Kumbakonam?
Old 18th May 2010, 10:12   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
It is almost impossible to cover all the Navagrahas in one day because they are spread out in all directions from Kumbakonam.
Sorry Sir, it is possible to cover & this is why I reserved my comments earlier waiting for this question.

When we did during 2008 end, we found a travel agency (very very professional & kind people) who get it done on a single day. To be frank, until I visited Thirunallaru, I couldn't believe that they can do it in a single day.

Let me try to recall the sequence - Thingaloor, Alangudi, (breakfast), Thirunageswaram, Suriyanaar, Kanjanoor, (lunch), Vaidheeswaran kovil, Thiruvengadu, Kezhaperumpallam, Thirunallaru followed by dinner at Kumbakonam; started around 5:30 AM & reached Kumbakonam by 22:00.

The trick being that, the localites know all the possible interiors which goes through small villages evading long traffics & main roads which works to 296 Km total instead of 500+ kms. One can get about 30 minutes at each of the 9 temples.

Quote:
How does one locate the Maami's mess?
Sir, I'll try to brief the place in my best efforts as I only remember the way. This place is parallel road to Sarangapani Temple. Here's something on Wikimapia, will you be able to figure out?

Last edited by aargee : 18th May 2010 at 10:31.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:14   #20
Team-BHP Support

I had taken the Trichy Tanjore Mayavaram road in Nov 2008. Since I was on an Innova and there was a driver, did not feel the stress. But yes getting out of Trichy on to the Tanjore road (NH67) was a real problem. Traffic all over the place.

There is roundabout where the NH45 cuts NH67. That place was a mess. Just cleared it out of shear luck and nothing else. Otherwise would have got stuck there for hours.

Last edited by ampere : 18th May 2010 at 10:24.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:21   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Sorry Sir, it is possible to cover & this is why I reserved my comments.

When we did during 2008 end, we spoke to one of the travel agencies (very very professional & kind people) who arranged to get it in a single day. Until I visited Thirunallaru, I couldn't believe that they can do it in a single day.

The trick being that, the localites know all the possible interiors which goes through small villages evading long traffics & main roads which works to 296 Km total instead of 500+ kms. One can get about 30 minutes at each of the 9 temples.
I agree, it should be possible if you can plan well and/ or have a experienced guide with you. AS I mentioned earlier, I think GSMINC does it too in one day.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:24   #22
BHPian

We reached Thirunallar around 5PM , had darshan and started the next day @ 6AM and we could cover all the remaining 8 Navagraha temples . This is possible if u plan ur day properly .

The trick is that after u visit each temple , find out the nearest temple which we need to visit next . One should understand tamil , speak to people for the short cut routes . The best way to do is to ask a cab driver who will be standing outside these temples .They are helpful and will guide us to go through the best short cuts available . If one can't do this , hire Rajkumar for the whole day and he will guide us to all these temples . ( He will charge app 800-1K INR) for the entire day .Raj kumar is based in Thirunallar

Traditionally its said that we need to end the trip with a beneficial planet like Moon , Shukra , Buddha or Guru . So we need to end the trip with any of the above temples .

We also need to keep in mind that all temples in TN work between 6- 1PM - 4PM - 8.30 PM .So u need to do the max travel between 1 & 4PM . In the next part of my travelogue , i will inform on the best way to cover the remaining 8 navagraha temples in one single day Morning 6- evening 8 PM

The best route to visit all navagraha temples will be

1. Thirunallar - Shani temple

2. Ketu temple

3. Buddha temple

4. Kuja temple - Vaidyanateshwara temple

5. Surya temple

6. Shukra temple

7. Rahu temple

8. Guru temple - Alangudi Dakshinamurthy

9. Moon temple

Last edited by Ranga : 18th May 2010 at 10:34.
Old 18th May 2010, 10:36   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I agree, it should be possible if you can plan well and/ or have a experienced guide with you.
Experienced guide along with a good driver or both qualities in a single person are must, without which it is impossible in a single day.

Quote:
AS I mentioned earlier, I think GSMINC does it too in one day.
What is GSMINC?
Old 18th May 2010, 11:07   #24
BHPian

Day 3 - Agenda to visit all 8 remaining Navagraha temples .
Ketu Temple
Time of visit 8AM

Temple visit time taken - 25 mts -
Parking - Available - 20 Rs Parking Fee

If u see the road map attached , we had come all the way down from Kumbakonnam to Thirunallar . This is in Pondicherry and is very close to Karikal . Karikal is 5Kms from Thirunallar .
We had our breakfast early morning in Karikal and started towards Keezhperumpallam temple or the Ketu temple . This is approximately 46 Kms from Thirunallar . Once we leave Karikal , we again enter Tamil nadu and enter the other Navagraha temples . Please note that roads are very narrow , dug up . and u have TN state buses driving as if they own the roads . One need to be a bit careful while driving along these roads .

Navagraha Temple No 2 - Sri Naganathaswamy Temple, Keezhperumpallam, Near Poompuhar, Nagapattinam District, Tamil Nadu - Phone numbers 04364 - 275222 , 04364 - 260582 , 04364 - 260088

About Ketu temple

Sri Naganathaswamy temple at Keezhperumpallam is well known as Ketu shrine. The shrine is also called as Vanagiri. It is a small village surrounded by green fields. The temple is devoted to Lord Shiva and Sri Naganathaswamy is the presiding deity. Soundaranayaki is the consort of the Lord. In Vedic Hindu astrology the South Lunar node or the descending node is recognized as Ketu. It is also called Dragon's tail. There is special significance for Ketu in Vedic Hindu astrology. Ketu is considered as a planet.

The sanctum sanctorum of Ketu is located at this temple. It is rare to find Ketu with his head. You may see Lord Ketu with his consort Chitralekha and you may also see Lord Ketu with his head as well. At this shrine Lord Ketu performed penance towards Sri Naganathaswamy and prayed Lord to get rid of His sins. Lord Shiva blessed Lord Ketu and the sins of Ketu were relieved here. You may also find Lord Ketu worshiping Sri Naganathaswamy (Lord Shiva) with his folded hands and he is facing north-west direction.

Last edited by Ranga : 18th May 2010 at 11:14.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:04   #25
BHPian

Hey Ranga,
Thanks for the wonderful pic of the temple, being born and brought up in TN I somehow have missed seeing these places, I will add this to my places to visit. But you have given a visual treat by watching and reading the log.

Load more photos on how the temple looks from outside and some road snaps
Old 18th May 2010, 12:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

@Ranga - if you don't mind, I can contriubute some from my side during my 2008 end visit; would like to do it with your permission or I can start a new thread. I'm OK with either.
Old 18th May 2010, 12:27   #27
BHPian

Navagraha Temple No 3 - [COLOR=black]Sri Suvedaranyar temple is located in Thiruvengadu which is in Nagapattinam district near Mayiladuthurai, State of Tamil Nadu – Phone numbers [/COLOR]04364 256424

Time of Visit : App 8.30
Time with in the temple - 20 mts

Parking Available

Distance from Ketu temple : App 5-10Kms

About Buddha Temple

When we enter the temple , we are greeted with a green color baskets sold near the temple . Color Green is the color denoted for Buddha ( Mercury ) . Mercury rules communications and the thought process .

Compared to the Ketu temple , this is a large temple complex . As according to all the other Navagraha temples , this temple main shiva deity is Aghoramurthy. Also known as Aadi Chidambaram, Natarajar's dance here is known as Hasti Natanam.

The Budda temple is on the other side of the temple . We had the Archanam done here and then proceeded towards Kuja temple - Vaidyanateshwara temple . There is a short cut for going to Vaidyanateshwara temple . This tip was passed by a cab driver who was doing rounds for the Navagraha temple
Old 18th May 2010, 12:53   #28
BHPian

Hi

Let me first complete my thread . Suggest u open a new thread
Old 18th May 2010, 12:56   #29
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
This place is parallel road to Sarangapani Temple. Here's something on Wikimapia
Thanks, aargee. I have already saved the co-ordinates of Mami's Mess in my favourites in MMI for future guidance.

Old 18th May 2010, 12:58   #30
BHPian

Navagraha Temple Detailed road map - Attached

Attached is the detailed Road map of the Navagraha Temple i got from one of my friends

Attached is the same for reference .
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Navagraha temple road map - Detailed.pdf (2.87 MB, 1862 views)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks