Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2010, 10:37   #31
BHPian

Thanks Srikanth. Hope you don't mind if i PM you for some more details regarding route / accomodation later when i finalise my plans for Valparai.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

No issues Rajesh, for the benefit of all I will try to list some information in this thread, hopefully before day end.
Old 24th May 2010, 10:52   #33
Senior - BHPian

Panorama Shot from the Nalla Mudi Pooncholai View Point, pictures don't do justice to this place. You could see electric fences destroyed by elephants here. The other side is sheer drop opening up to Kerala.
White Lightning strikes Valparai-nalla-mudi-panorama1.jpg
Old 24th May 2010, 11:38   #34
BHPian

Excellent report, Srikanth. Reminds me again that a trip to Valparai and Parambikulam is long over due. Never been there before.

Loved the pics too. The beautiful hills, valleys, waterfalls and wildlife were just what was required to hijack my mind and heart away from work on a Monday morning. As such I am a poor starter on Mondays.

Sighting the gaur in the tea plantation must have been a cool experience.I mean, you could have bumped into it as you walked through the estate!

The picture of the 'Nilgiri Tahr on the way to Chennai from Valparai' was interesting. How did you know it was going to Chennai?
Old 24th May 2010, 12:28   #35
Senior - BHPian

Some information from my side for those who want to visit Valparai & TopSlip.

The various places to see at Valparai.

1. Puthuthottam Estate between Rotti Kadai & Valparai town is best for wildlife, has almost the entire population of Lion Tailed Monkeys in Valparai
2. Balaji Temple - Periya Karumalai Estate could be accessed from Iyarpadi side (on Pollachi - Valparai Road) or from Valparai town through the tea gardens
3. Sidhi Vinayak Temple - Jayashree Estate (Birla Estate)
4. Nalla Mudi Pooncholai View Point - Near Mudis' Estate
The above two are on the same side of Valparai
5. Nirar Dam - Tantea Estate (Chinchona)
6. Vellaimalai Tunnel - Though I did not go inside, it is possible to go inside the tunnel when water does not flow, its used to bring water from Nirar Dam
7. Sholayar Dam - On the way to Athirapally - Water stored here is taken to Aliyar Dam via Manombolly power house
8. Kadamparai Power House - On the way to Valparai from Pollachi though you would require permission from TNEB
9. Loams View - On the way to Valparai from Pollachi, this is the place where you could possibly see Nilgiri Thar grazing on the sides.

In addition to this one can also see Chinna Kallar which is undergoing some repair work now hence I did not make it there. This is close to Nirar Dam, supposedly the wettest place in South India.

Valparai has one BPCL & one IOC petrol pumps, I noticed one SBI and one Indian Bank ATM as well. In addition to this you have one Axis Bank ATM near Aliyar Dam (Pollachi - Valparai Rd.)

In terms of stay options NEPC, Waterfall & Stanmore have bungalows which are given for outsiders. I have phone numbers for Waterfall & Stanmore, anyone wanting can always PM me, will be happy to share them. Both NEPC & Waterfall are on the way to Valparai from Pollachi.

For those who wish to go Valparai / Top Slip from Darapuram side, instead of going to Pollachi one can go to Udumalaipettai continue onwards towards Pollachi for about 7 kms take a left onto Anamalai Road which would lead you directly to the Pollachi - Valparai Road in the case of Valparai where you take a left to reach Aliyar. In the case of Topslip you reach Anamalai from where one takes a left to Vettai Karan Pudhur.

This is shorter by about 20 kms overall from Dharapuram.

Vettai Karan Pudhur has ICICI, SBI & Axis Bank also a HPCL pump, which is suspect in terms of fuel measure based on the mileage calculations for me.
Old 24th May 2010, 16:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Lion Tailed Macaque Special

Different moods of the troop of Lion Tailed Macaques which we saw at the Puthuthottam estates, though I feel sad that they have become too close to the humans for their own good.

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6169.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6172.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6173.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6174.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6175.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6177.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6178.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6180.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6181.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6182.jpg

White Lightning strikes Valparai-dscf6184.jpg
Old 24th May 2010, 16:59   #37
BHPian

hi srikanth,
thanks for your reply to my PM. i liked the fourth photo, the way it is posing and the expressions on its face makes the photo different.
Old 24th May 2010, 18:32   #38
BHPian

That Panorama Shot is stunning to watch , it gives you the actual view of Nalla Mudi Pooncholai View Point while the normal portrait or landscape view wouldn't have given this effect.

Great Work
Old 24th May 2010, 19:23   #39
Team-BHP Support

Has any one tried the tea bungalow?
Tea Bungalows - Tea Plantation,Tea Tourism, Munnar,Valparai, Meghamalai,Tea,Tea Museum, Farm Tourism, Tea Factory Visit
Old 24th May 2010, 20:14   #40
Senior - BHPian

Woodbriar is the group which owns the Stanmore bungalow in Valparai, they also own properties like Thalayar Bungalow in Munnar, Cloud Mountain Bungalow in Meghamalai (near Theni), most of their estates were bought over from Hindustan Lever so they have some very good properties right across. Infact my next agenda is to visit the Meghamalai property, probably after this year's monsoon, hoping by that time the road from Chinnamanur to Highwavys estate is done up the the Highways department

@ Ranjith, i.1979, pjay_in, nuttynair, ampere, nkrishnap, gvk thanks for the comments on the pictures, on a brighter day I could have possibly shown this fantastic place even better

Last edited by pypkmsrikanth : 24th May 2010 at 20:24.
Old 24th May 2010, 20:27   #41
Team-BHP Support

Some time after monsoons, I was thinking to go to this place.
(The one is Valparai). Looks very good!
Old 25th May 2010, 09:36   #42
BHPian

Srikanth ,
what was the temperature at valparai during day time. i am planning to do a trip on first week of june. i hope the weather will be OK.
Old 25th May 2010, 09:52   #43
Senior - BHPian

The rains have started, when we stayed the climate was very pleasant and the early mornings reasonably nippy, when you go around June 1st week, the rains would be well and truly on so more than heat, you should be worried about rains keeping you indoor.
Old 25th May 2010, 16:41   #44
Senior - BHPian

The Sholayar backwaters is a testament to the the rains the region receives during monsoons, in about 3 months time it would be upto the levels marked by the lines.
Attached Thumbnails
White Lightning strikes Valparai-sholayar-backwaters.jpg  

Old 25th May 2010, 19:36   #45
BHPian

hey Srikanth - am planning to visit Valparai in the 2nd wk of June. I'll be there for about 2.5days and am trying to figure out how to cover Top slip and Parambikulam. I'll be starting from CBE, so should I first go to Parambikulam, stay there for a day and then proceed to Valparai OR can I go to Valparai, come to Sholayar Dam and then take the safari towards these places?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks