Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 10:45   #46
v&v
Senior - BHPian

pic of sun rise and visit to Vivekananda rock.

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-779.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-785.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-803.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-807.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-810.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-844.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-848.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-854.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-857.jpg
Old 12th June 2010, 08:33   #47
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Padmanabha puram palace - 400 years old palace.

Last place in our itinerary for the season. Slippers/Shoes not allowed.
Monday is closed. I have seen many part of this palace in films too.
The palace is big and multi-storied. it was built in AD 1610. A lot of Chinese influence can be seen in carving and technology used.

How to reach : 65 kms from TVM or 30 kms from Kanyakumari. One has to take right while coming from KK at a place called Thucklai. The palace is located around 3 kms from NH.

Note : En route from KK there is a ancient hanuman temple name Suchindaram which is around 13 kms. We could not have dharshan as it was closed when we crossed around 2.30 pm. it opens at 4 pm in the evening.
Also there is a water all too near the palace. Didnt remember the name.

Name:  L1A10 875.jpg
Views: 1100
Size:  77.9 KB

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-876.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-877.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-878.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-880.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-883.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-884.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-889.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-893.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-895.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-901.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-902.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-907.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-909.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-910.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-912.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-914.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-920.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-921.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-923.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-924.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-928.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-930.jpg

Vacation in a Vacation : Discovering Kerala - A Photologue-l1a10-933.jpg
Old 12th June 2010, 14:26   #48
v&v
Senior - BHPian

This closes our trip for the season.
Total distance traveled = 700 kms , fuel = 28 liters approx for Rs 1500.
Further update on next vacation.
Old 12th June 2010, 14:59   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi v&v

thanks for the detailed photolog. i have waited for you to finish

God's own country and your description, pictures of it certainly deserves a 5 star. It has motivated me to make a visit, let me try.

thanks for sharing...
Old 13th June 2010, 07:46   #50
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi v&v

thanks for the detailed photolog. i have waited for you to finish

God's own country and your description, pictures of it certainly deserves a 5 star. It has motivated me to make a visit, let me try.

thanks for sharing...
thanks StarVegabond. It worth a visit. There are many more places like these i my list to cover. Yes truly God's on country.

v&v

Last edited by v&v : 13th June 2010 at 07:47.
Old 13th June 2010, 08:24   #51
Team-BHP Support

I missed the later postings! Amazing trip you had there.

Just a question to you all,

How is the island experience at Poovar? I was trying to compare to Kumarakom. The one main difference I could think off is that Poovar is an island. That means exploring the island should be one amazing activity. Any feedbacks on that?
Old 14th June 2010, 06:47   #52
Senior - BHPian

The Padmanabhapuram Palace is indeed in a sorry state of affair. Though its "taken care" by ASI - the place cries out loud of neglect.

The most important attraction the lamp "Anayavilakku" cannot be viewed now as they claim the stairs are old and cannot enter the top.

Hopefully the palace is not let to dilapidate and gets the due soon.

Yesterday - I was there at the palace , and I must admit I had seen it in its glory atleast 20 years ago.
Old 14th June 2010, 07:59   #53
BHPian

Wow, looks like you had a great time! terrific pictures!

Its been a long long time since I have been to any place south of Kochi - Need to do it next time!
Old 14th June 2010, 08:15   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

How is the island experience at Poovar? I was trying to compare to Kumarakom. The one main difference I could think off is that Poovar is an island. That means exploring the island should be one amazing activity. Any feedbacks on that?
Try out the kuruva island close to sultan batheri, it is a beautiful island with numerous water ways connecting smaller parts of the island and and the virgin forests, remoteness of the place add to its charm and a fantastic place to visit for a day trip.
Old 14th June 2010, 08:25   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics, v&v. Missed the travelogue earlier because of internet connection issues on the move. Read the whole travelogue at one go. You're back in Delhi already?
Old 14th June 2010, 12:16   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Note : En route from KK there is a ancient hanuman temple name Suchindaram which is around 13 kms. We could not have dharshan as it was closed when we crossed around 2.30 pm. it opens at 4 pm in the evening.
Also there is a water all too near the palace. Didnt remember the name.

The deity at Suchindram is not Hanuman, though there is a huge statue of Hanuman. Its the Trimurti - Siva, Vishnu and Brahma. One of the very few temples in the country which has all the three gods!

The water fall is Tripparappu - a nice place, if you do not have too much expectations. Also it may get crowded, with people coming with soap and shampoo and taking a bath there

Sad to note that Padmanabhapuram palace is not being maintained properly. A lovely palace, not as ostentatious as other palaces in the country, but having intelligent architecture and also being aesthetically very good.

Thanks for the sunrise pictures of Kanyakumari - that remains an unfulfilled dream, though I spent a better part of my life - 25 years - in Kanyakumari district itself

Lovely travelogue and a personal favourite for me for the above reason
Old 14th June 2010, 18:49   #57
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

Thanks ampere. I can tell you about poovar, as i have not yet visited kumarakom. Poovar is a good place for 3 to 4 nights vacation. Lots to explore around the island plus the Vallam cruse is awesome. I think the max % of tourist are foreigners, they might more interested in Ayurvedic Village.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
The Padmanabhapuram Palace is indeed in a sorry state of affair. Though its "taken care" by ASI - the place cries out loud of neglect.

The most important attraction the lamp "Anayavilakku" cannot be viewed now as they claim the stairs are old and cannot enter the top.

Hopefully the palace is not let to dilapidate and gets the due soon.

Yesterday - I was there at the palace , and I must admit I had seen it in its glory atleast 20 years ago.
Yes, but i think some maintenance work was in progress when we went there. But yes lot can be done to keep it spic and span.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Wow, looks like you had a great time! terrific pictures!

Its been a long long time since I have been to any place south of Kochi - Need to do it next time!
Yes bigzero, it was a nice trip. Lots to see in kerala. We have started our mission with this first season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeet007 View Post
Try out the kuruva island close to sultan batheri, it is a beautiful island with numerous water ways connecting smaller parts of the island and and the virgin forests, remoteness of the place add to its charm and a fantastic place to visit for a day trip.
Yap sumeet007, already in my radar. would like to do this with my wayanad trip. my brother who is in manglore too was refering about it. Sultan batheri itself is an historic place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Great pics, v&v. Missed the travelogue earlier because of internet connection issues on the move. Read the whole travelogue at one go. You're back in Delhi already?
Thanks doc. No, reaching this weekend. i had been tracking your trip too. Hope all are enjoying the trip to the max.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
The deity at Suchindram is not Hanuman, though there is a huge statue of Hanuman. Its the Trimurti - Siva, Vishnu and Brahma. One of the very few temples in the country which has all the three gods!

The water fall is Tripparappu - a nice place, if you do not have too much expectations. Also it may get crowded, with people coming with soap and shampoo and taking a bath there

Sad to note that Padmanabhapuram palace is not being maintained properly. A lovely palace, not as ostentatious as other palaces in the country, but having intelligent architecture and also being aesthetically very good.

Thanks for the sunrise pictures of Kanyakumari - that remains an unfulfilled dream, though I spent a better part of my life - 25 years - in Kanyakumari district itself

Lovely travelogue and a personal favourite for me for the above reason
Thanks mallumowgli for updating the info, didnt knew about it and we just prayed from outside as it was closed and everybody at KK speaks about hanuman statue when you ask about Suchindram temple.

As for the water fall , is it on the same route of palace or any other diversion, also how far is it from the palace ?
Old 15th June 2010, 14:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
As for the water fall , is it on the same route of palace or any other diversion, also how far is it from the palace ?
I remember it as the same route as the palace - should be around 10 kms from the palace. I'd been there long back, when I was in school - so dont remember the route exactly. But if you are coming from Trivandrum, i think there is a diversion at Marthandam itself. Need not reach Thuckalay
Old 15th June 2010, 16:34   #59
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Suchindram has an 18 ft hanuman statue. Suchindram is more famous for the fact that it is a temple for the holy trinity (Shiva, Vishnu and Brahma). Very few places in India has temples for Brahma and even fewer has the holy trinity. So essentially, it's a temple of the holy trinity and not of Hanuman. The temple's name is Thanumalayan temple and the name stands for the holy trinity.
Thanu - Brahma
Mal - Vishnu
Ayan - Shiva
Apart from the huge Hanuman, the temple also houses the female Ganesha (vigneshwari) and geetopadesha statue.
There are claims that this is the only temple in India where the holy trinity are housed and worshipped. But Triambak has a shiva ling which houses the holy trinity in linga form.
Old 16th June 2010, 13:15   #60
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I remember it as the same route as the palace - should be around 10 kms from the palace. I'd been there long back, when I was in school - so dont remember the route exactly. But if you are coming from Trivandrum, i think there is a diversion at Marthandam itself. Need not reach Thuckalay
We went to palace from Kanyakumari, hence we took right from Thuckalay. While coming from Tvm we the sign board for palace, i think the place was Marthandam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks