Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2010, 14:33   #31
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Glenmorgan is on the way towards Pykara. Very Scenic Drive. Loved every second of driving there.. though we didn't go there we just drove around 6-7kms and came back to head towards bangalore.
We crossed Pykara on the way back. The scenery along those roads were among the best we have seen. However, with Monday biting at the back of my head, had to make it back to Bangalore at the earliest. Also, i hate driving on Mysore highway once it gets dark. People drive you mad with floodlights!

Thanks for the info provided about Glenmorgan. Added to next time's itinerary.
Old 11th June 2010, 15:44   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
We crossed Pykara on the way back. The scenery along those roads were among the best we have seen. However, with Monday biting at the back of my head, had to make it back to Bangalore at the earliest. Also, i hate driving on Mysore highway once it gets dark. People drive you mad with floodlights!

Thanks for the info provided about Glenmorgan. Added to next time's itinerary.
You are true, this is the first time i took Gudalur Route in my 6-7 trips to Nilgiris and was shocked to see the scenic beauty and roads. They were the best to say. I enjoyed driving that route.

Also Nanjungud - Mysore Highway is also worst during evening times when it gets dark.
Old 13th June 2010, 09:09   #33
BHPian

Seems like everyone and their uncle was in Ooty recently . We are just back from a quick trip to Ooty as well. Went up two familes (plus dogs) in convoy (Bolero + Qualis) via the Sigur ghats (Bandipur - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Kallatty - Ooty), and back via Gudalur (Ooty - Naduvattom - Gudalur - Mudumalai - Theppakadu - Bandipur). Fantastic weather during the trip up and our first day there, but the monsoons hit during the return.

Was underwhelmed with the Cafe Coffee Day experience. Even the USP - clean loos, left much to be desired at Maddur.

Decent spottings - elephant, chital and surprising numbers of gaur. No Nilgiri langur or cats though. Managed a few pics.

Roads were good, better than I remember them in countless trips except for the stretch between Mysore and Nanjangud - potholed and crummy tarmac with no signs of repair in sight. For the return leg, peeled off onto the NICE road at Kengeri, zipped all the way to Electronic city, thereafter Attibele > Varthur > Whitefield > ITPL Road > home to CV Raman Nagar. More mileage, but were only 20 minutes behind our friends who when through the city to Museum road, and was absolutely traffic free. Great for a Saturday evening attempt to get into Bangalore. NICE road was great except for a small bit between Mysore road and Kanakpura Road, and of course the Gottigerehalli madness.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:07   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by modthomas View Post
Seems like everyone and their uncle was in Ooty recently . We are just back from a quick trip to Ooty as well. Went up two familes (plus dogs) in convoy (Bolero + Qualis) via the Sigur ghats (Bandipur - Theppakadu - Masinagudi - Kallatty - Ooty), and back via Gudalur (Ooty - Naduvattom - Gudalur - Mudumalai - Theppakadu - Bandipur). Fantastic weather during the trip up and our first day there, but the monsoons hit during the return.
Certainly looks like everyone was in Ooty. The number of KA registered vehicles in Ooty, despite the off-season amazed me! Proof of the same is the responses from various members on this, we well as other Ooty related threads.

Quote:
Was underwhelmed with the Cafe Coffee Day experience. Even the USP - clean loos, left much to be desired at Maddur.
Considering i loved the Mandya outlet over the others on Mysore Road, the fall in quality is quite appalling. The lone guy at the counter when we went there also hints at the same. On the other hand, the Maddur outlets had a lot more visitors. Now you tell me, the case was horrible there as well!

Quote:
Decent spottings - elephant, chital and surprising numbers of gaur. No Nilgiri langur or cats though. Managed a few pics.
Despite being on the lookout for animals, we spotted none of significance, save for some monkeys, as well as a peacock on the return journey.

Quote:
Roads were good, better than I remember them in countless trips except for the stretch between Mysore and Nanjangud - potholed and crummy tarmac with no signs of repair in sight.
Well summed up, regarding the road conditions. Had to keep my eyes peeled out for potholes.
Old 14th June 2010, 13:15   #35
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Considering i loved the Mandya outlet over the others on Mysore Road, the fall in quality is quite appalling. The lone guy at the counter when we went there also hints at the same. On the other hand, the Maddur outlets had a lot more visitors. Now you tell me, the case was horrible there as well!
The best way to get the best CCD outlet (read : clean outlet) is to choose the one which is farthest. (For example Mandya, Maddur, Gundlupet).

If there is crowd, service may be better.

But nothing can said about toilets though.
Old 16th June 2010, 08:42   #36
Team-BHP Support

Day 2 - We go to Coonor

As we generally do when on holiday, we dont just sleep off the mornings, but have always felt it is best to explore a place before the rest of the world awakes. We were up by 6, and then made our way out for a drive. We first managed to lose our way within the town limits and after sorting out the mess headed out to catch some mist and fog.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8534.jpg

Found some signboards which pointed us towards Kothagiri, but seeing the distance we didnt want to head out that far, since we wanted to get back to the hotel for breakfast.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8529.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8530.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8532.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8533.jpg

Stopped at some places for some pics and generally just sitting around seeing the run rise before our eyes. Despite the fall in temperatures last night, it was soon climbing with the sun going about its duties. Some more roaming around, and pics later, we headed back to the hotel for breakfast. After breakfast, we decided to check out of the hotel and carry on. We were now going to Coonor.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8558.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8559.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8550.jpg
Old 16th June 2010, 15:30   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pictures there. Even I had been to ooty on the 10th and 11th. My log is coming soon.
Old 16th June 2010, 18:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Glenmorgan is on the way towards Pykara. Very Scenic Drive. Loved every second of driving there.. though we didn't go there we just drove around 6-7kms and came back to head towards bangalore.

About Glenmorgan
I think the highest power plant fact has been beaten long back by the power plants in uttaranchal (over the alakananda).
Old 16th June 2010, 22:04   #39
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Nice pictures there. Even I had been to ooty on the 10th and 11th. My log is coming soon.
Thats nice to know! Amazing how so many of us happened to be there at a similar point of time. Looking forward to your travelogue. Its always interesting to see a place you visited from another person's perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolin View Post
I think the highest power plant fact has been beaten long back by the power plants in uttaranchal (over the alakananda).
I guess records are always upstaged by another newer entity. However, the previous entity continues to bask in the glory of the past.
Old 17th June 2010, 09:02   #40
Team-BHP Support

Coonor

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8628.jpg

Situated about 25-30 kms from Ooty, Coonor is famous for its tea plantations. The drive from Ooty to Coonor reminded me of the drives in Kuttikanam and Kumily in Kerala, which i do ever so often on my trips to Kerala, since my wife's place is nearby. However, the traffic there in the hills is a lot more controlled (except for the private buses), as opposed to people who were in a constant hurry along with some rash driving, even in the hills!

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8629.jpg

Coonor town was slightly difficult to navigate through and we asked and made our way to the climb leading to Dolphin's Nose viewpoint. The way up the hill had roads which used interlocking tiles in many places, which came as a surprise, and was also narrow in some places which meant if a bus came from the opposite direction, at times you had to reverse to someplace which had more space to allow the other vehicle through.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8637.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8643.jpg

Our trip to Coonor really seemed worth it, since we finally saw mist and fog.. and the temperatures too were quite favourable. Wifey wanted a pic of hers clicked in the attire worn by the women who work in tea gardens, and there were cameramen who even had such a setup as a business model. We made our way to Lamb's Rock and then Dolpin's Nose viewpoint.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8647.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8654.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8655.jpg

Lamb's Rock meant we had to climb to the top of the hill, from where we should have had a splendid view of the scenery below, which also included Coimbatore. However, mist meant that we didnt have too much of a view, just some peaks piercing their way through the clouds as well as mist to indicate they were very much there.

Name:  IMG_8658.jpg
Views: 1057
Size:  365.0 KB

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8663.jpg
Old 17th June 2010, 09:29   #41
BHPian

The pictures are just too good. Nice travelogue there bensbe. Travelogues on Ooty/Coonoor is always refreshing. I am visting Ooty/Coonoor/Kotagiri again in a weeks time.........
Old 17th June 2010, 14:27   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamdiesel View Post
The pictures are just too good. Nice travelogue there bensbe. Travelogues on Ooty/Coonoor is always refreshing. I am visting Ooty/Coonoor/Kotagiri again in a weeks time.........
Your going once again? How long since the last time you had visited?
You really are making the most of the diesel prices and mileage you get from your Swift. Another writeup on the cards, perhaps?

Thanks for the comments. Your travelogue helped me locate some of the places we should visit on our trip.
Old 17th June 2010, 19:27   #43
BHPian

The last time I visited Ooty was in Feb. I usually tend to stay away from Hill stations during season. No travelogue on Ooty this time. Have written 3 Ooty/Coonoor Travelogues already. Will upload some pics and any new info related to Ooty/Coonoor in the existing travelogues. Did you enjoy the Ooty chocolates benbsb? and some more pictures pls..
Old 18th June 2010, 00:11   #44
Team-BHP Support

Continued...

As compared to Lamb's Rock, Dolphin's Nose viewpoint was a disappointment. Crazy traffic situation atop the hill as well as some rather boisterous tourists meant the place couldn't really be enjoyed. Sensing greater crowds which were yet to come up the hill, we decided to head down.

Snaps from Lamb's Rock

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8664.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8665.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8674.jpg

Wifey gets her snap taken in the traditional attire worn by women working in tea gardens

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8684.jpg

Since we had come this far, we also decided to check out Sims park, which was once again famous for its flora.

Making our way to Sims park was not too difficult. We were quite tired out by then with all the walking, and decided not to trudge too far into the park since the place which is on an incline meant the father we wandered, the more we had to climb to get back.

Some snaps clicked at Sims Park

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8692.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8695.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8696.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8701.jpg

Some snaps later, we made our way back to the car. The time was around 2:30 PM then. With the next day being a Monday, and a working day for both of us, we decided to head back to Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8675.jpg  

Old 18th June 2010, 07:45   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Some snaps later, we made our way back to the car. The time was around 2:30 PM then. With the next day being a Monday, and a working day for both of us, we decided to head back to Bangalore.
Great snaps benbsb. Sad to see the litter in the last snap. That was one thing that struck me in my trip, the hills are losing their pristine sheen in spite of the Nilgiris plastics ban.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks