Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2010, 08:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor

Ever since we moved to Bangalore and bought our own car, we had always wanted to visit Ooty. That we had seen various scenes of the place in movies, as well as heard a lot to look forward to, this trip was something which was always on the To-Do list, but which nevver happened so far.... till the last weekend ie.

We got to know some of our relatives would be visiting somewher near Ooty, and since it had been a while since we had met them, thought of driving down, and in the process also visiting a place we had heard a lot about.

Here are some pics from the trip.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8643.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8663.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8658.jpg

More as I continue with the rest of the writeup.
Old 8th June 2010, 09:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Finally - you are on the move
Waiting for the classic pictures.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
Finally - you are on the move
Waiting for the classic pictures.
Been a while since we went somewhere on a vacation as such. Trips to the hometown arent exactly what one can call a vacation.

Got a bit busy with work, will be continuing the writeup soon.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Niceee A travelogue after quite a while Ben. My last trip was to Coonoor as well in feb, though didnt really take too many pics.
Looking forward to this.
Old 8th June 2010, 21:59   #5
Team-BHP Support

And so we're off!

And so the plan was ready, and was decided to start early on Saturday morning so we would make it to Ooty by 10AM. We also took into consideration that Bandipur would be closed for the night, and we had to cross the place only after it opened.

Checked up the route which we were to take, and hit upon dreamdiesel's travelogues to Ooty, which had the route mentioned, as well as places we could check out in Ooty. Since this wasnt exactly the so-called 'season', we didnt make any prior hotel bookings and decided to try our luck, and take it as it came. With the car tanked up, and with the alignment and wheel balancing which was done last weekend (unplanned), we were all set to go!

Since i had slept late the previous night since i had to catch up with some work in office, i decided to get some early shut-eye since i had to drive. Hit the bed around 9PM, and awoke at 2AM, which was when we went through dreamdiesel's travelogues to catch hold of the names of some of the places we could visit.

Left from home about 4AM, and traversed through the empty Bangalore city to hit the road towards Mysore. I had washed the car the previous evening, and so it was no surprise for me to wake up and see that it was raining when we started out. The rain Gods n me have this understanding we share so well, that it happens every time!

This was the route which we had decided upon :
Bangalore -> Mysore -> Nanjangud -> Bandipur -> Gundalpet -> Ooty.

Stopped for an early morning cuppa at the Cafe Coffee Day at Mandya.

Morning cuppa at Cafe Coffee Day @ Mandya

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8415.jpg

There were about 3-4 cars, which wasnt surprising at all, since it was the weekend. The snacks which we had werent all that great, though.

Made it to Mysore negotiating the crazy speedbreakers along the SH, and took the Ring Road to bypass the city, and head towards Nanjangud. Here, the roads werent all that great, but there were no vehicle-breaking potholes. Made good time here, and reached the checkpost to Bandipur. At one checkpost, our bags were searched for any spirits, which i didnt take too well, since we clearly mentioned we werent carrying any. This is not the first time we've been subjected to such checks, while others have been let through with no scrutinizing. However, we didnt want to make that spoil our trip, and carried on to the famous hairpins to Ooty.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8431.jpg

The 36 hairpins didnt seem too danting to me, having done a lot of such hill climbs over many journeys, however the car had to use the 1st gear to clambour up some of those slopes.

Some pics along the way to Ooty

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8430.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8435.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8436.jpg

I expected cooler climate as we climbed higher, but that was not to be. We reached Ooty around 10:30AM, which also included a few stops along the way.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Queen of Hills is always attractive, irrespective of the season

pictures look great, i look forward to a great time here in this thread.
thanks, for sharing.
Old 8th June 2010, 22:40   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Niceee A travelogue after quite a while Ben. My last trip was to Coonoor as well in feb, though didnt really take too many pics.
Looking forward to this.
Samarth, how was it like in Feb? Must've been real cold, then. Also, isnt it also supposed to be the peak season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Hi,

Queen of Hills is always attractive, irrespective of the season

pictures look great, i look forward to a great time here in this thread.
thanks, for sharing.
Thanks a lot, StarVegabond.
Ooty was quite warm when we landed, and i was actually surprised. Will be covering this in the next post of mine.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:12   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Samarth, how was it like in Feb? Must've been real cold, then. Also, isnt it also supposed to be the peak season?
Oh it was brilliant. The evenings were chilly and the days were pleasant, slightly towards the warmer side though. Had stayed in the Neemrana property - Walwood Garden- walking distance from the Sims park, which I thought was really lovely. Didnt stay in ooty though, drove straight to Coonoor and back.
Thankfully it wasnt really crowded so could enjoy.
Old 8th June 2010, 23:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Botanical Gardens - Ooty

Our first stop was to be the Botanical Garden. We didnt have much problem finding the place, and both the local people as well as signboards were helpful in getting there.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8443.jpg

Parked at a parking lot which had a lot of clothing shops around it, which were manned by people from the North-East. Clothings on offer included sweaters, ladies tops, etc. Wifey engaged herself in some shopping, and then we visited the garden. Entry tickets were priced at a rather nominal Rs.5/- and Rs.10/- for a camera. It was quite sunny, and it really had me wondering if i had indeed landed at Ooty!

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8444.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8445.jpg

Despite the heat, there were a lot of families and people around. It was slightly tiring to walk and cover most places of the garden, and soon we settled ourselves on a bench under a tree, and just watched people enjoying themselves. Sitting in the shade, we were soon aware of the difference in temperature, and we actually did began to feel cold.

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8447.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8448.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8450.jpg

Ikonic journeys : Bangalore to Ooty & Coonor-img_8455.jpg

After spending quite some time in the Botanical Gardens, we made our way outside, and bought some home-made chocolates. We then asked the shopkeeper for directions to Doddabetta which is basically the highest peak of the Nilgiris.

When taking the car out of the parking lot, i was stunned to know that the charge for parking came to a grand total of Rs.45/-, which was fixed. There was also a printed ticket provided. For all i remember, except for parking at the International Airport, i have never paid such an absurd amount as parking charge!

Last edited by benbsb29 : 8th June 2010 at 23:30.
Old 9th June 2010, 10:35   #10
BHPian

Good to see you. I presume more pics are on the way.

Quote:
The snacks which we had werent all that great, though.
For such a popular joint, I always found CCD food not to my liking. Add to it I still can't digest that they do not serve filter coffee.

Quote:
Made it to Mysore negotiating the crazy speedbreakers along the SH, and took the Ring Road to bypass the city, and head towards Nanjangud.
Ring road to left? Wouldn't it eventually lead you to the road near Mysore zoo. Is it complete? I always take the city route. Mysore town is a beautiful place, especially after living in Bangalore.

Quote:
This is not the first time we've been subjected to such checks, while others have been let through with no scrutinizing.
Means you look like a true Malayalee. Next time ensure that you carry a couple of liquor bottles filled with some colored water, would be fun.
Old 9th June 2010, 12:28   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
Good to see you. I presume more pics are on the way.
More pics are certainly coming up. I can only put up the pics and writeup from home, hence the delay in between.

Quote:
For such a popular joint, I always found CCD food not to my liking. Add to it I still can't digest that they do not serve filter coffee.
In Dec 2006, i had stopped at the same CCD outlet while on my first long trip after buying the car. We were on a Xmas holiday to Kerala via Wayanad, and along the length of Kerala till we got to Kottayam. At 3AM, the food we had at this outlet was excellent, which is why we thought we should stop by this particular outlet over others which had more number of people.

Quote:
Ring road to left? Wouldn't it eventually lead you to the road near Mysore zoo. Is it complete? I always take the city route. Mysore town is a beautiful place, especially after living in Bangalore.
I am not sure if this leads to the Zoo. I had gone thouugh the city when i visited the mysore Zoo, since there are better directions to get there. The road wasnt complete in all stretches, but you certainly couldnt miss some of the mountainous car breakers along them.

They say today's Mysore is a mirror of Bangalore in the olden days, which i tend to agree with. However, with the way the city has started growing, wouldnt be too far away when it ends up like Bangalore.

Quote:
Means you look like a true Malayalee. Next time ensure that you carry a couple of liquor bottles filled with some colored water, would be fun.
I dont want to be the scapegoat. I guess the fact that we looked young, and out on a joytrip to Ooty led them to believe we were lying.

We've had a similar experience earlier at the last TN checkpost before the turn towards Palakkad. It was Xmas season and they literally opened and went through most of our bags to check for spirits. By the time they were done, i had a frown on my face while they had frustration written all over theirs, from finding nothing.
Old 9th June 2010, 13:25   #12
BHPian

Looking forward for more pics
I was also in ooty on 5th, 6th & 7th..
Old 9th June 2010, 13:29   #13
Team-BHP Support

I was there on the third week of May and it was pretty cool. It also rained heavy on the night we landed. Hopefully that did not spoil our fun and we had good time.

Hope to see more snaps!
Old 9th June 2010, 13:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
The first 2 shots are breathtaking! I did the ooty, kodai trip back in the day and not one bit disappointed with the places. Waiting for more...
Old 9th June 2010, 15:31   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
Looking forward for more pics
I was also in ooty on 5th, 6th & 7th..
Oh, that's nice! Where were you put up?
We were in Ooty on Saturday, and left to Coonor on Sunday. Started back to Bangalore on Sunday afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I was there on the third week of May and it was pretty cool. It also rained heavy on the night we landed. Hopefully that did not spoil our fun and we had good time.

Hope to see more snaps!
It rained really heavily by evening on Saturday. We were along with our relatives at the Boathouse, and ended up getting wet since we had left the umbrella in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtremeTorque View Post
The first 2 shots are breathtaking! I did the ooty, kodai trip back in the day and not one bit disappointed with the places. Waiting for more...
Thanks for the comments, ET. Will continue with the rest in the evening.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks