Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2010, 10:51   #346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkbharat View Post

I bought one -20 Degree winter Sleeping bag in last trip, though never used it.

I bought a Rock Empire Bag for the trip, they got it from Mumbai, pretty expensive around 3K, but worth it. I think it should be available at Mumbai / Delhi at around 2 K.

The Temp Label, the green range says -2, wonder what that really means? Anyone?

Leh-docked-img_2026.jpg

At Rangdum temp was around 0, I was pretty sick and cold, the sleeping bag kept me very warm. At Sarchu the night temp was below 0, bag got so warm I had to remove the Rajai on top.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd July 2010 at 10:59.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:23   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkya1 View Post
At Rangdum temp was around 0, I was pretty sick and cold, the sleeping bag kept me very warm. At Sarchu the night temp was below 0, bag got so warm I had to remove the Rajai on top.
Firstly, there sleeping bags are supposed to be used single not alongwith rajais at least in the temperature range they are designed for.

IMO, the label means that Its safe and comfortable at +3C, however the extreme range is -19C. It would be advisable to add rajais at this temperature.

The Sleeping Bags (for low temperature) are filled with goose weathers. How it works is not by producing heat but by blocking your body heat to go out and outside cold to creep in. Its a very good non-conductor of heat. So, the sleeping bag may initially feel cold but after 5-10 mins would be comfortable. Dont wear thermals and get inside the bag, it may cause sweating.

The quality or efficiency (the temperatures it can work for) is judged by the quality and density of feather fillings.

Dont ever buy synthetic sleeping bags to serve you in cold temperatures.

BTW, does the above one has only one piece or a separate inner and outer sleeping bag?

Below is the link of cliff climbers I posted in previous thread. You may like to have a look. They provide items to Indian Army IMO.

http://www.cliffclimbers.net/index.php

Disclaimer : I dont have any affiliation with them. Infact I have not bought anything from them since last 8-10 years.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 23rd July 2010 at 11:29.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:22   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Exciting is a gross understatement...

Looks like my kind of holiday, want to go off the beaten track, but surely we will need 4x4 to go into wild tracks out there, Let's plan it...

=====
yes 4X4 is must with huge space . no clue where will it come from, lets plan it

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Now thats interesting! Possibility/feasibility of a lady being there. Great. My wife wants to go there with kids and camp around with me. Of course possible only next year.

BTW RKB you have some good camping stuff. Dont even try that Sleeping bag except cold places unless you want to shed off some weight sweating. To the interested people, there is a shop known as "Cliff Climber" in Dehradun which used to have some camping stuff. I know of the sleeping bags. They are good VFM. What they have in store needs to be explored.
Though I feel uncomfortable in sleeping bags, but at places in Ladakh, all sleeping bags can fail to keep warm.

I bought mine from Stikage here in delhi, BTW its max -10 Degree, for 2000 Rs

Quote:
I bought a Rock Empire Bag for the trip, they got it from Mumbai, pretty expensive around 3K, but worth it. I think it should be available at Mumbai / Delhi at around 2 K.

The Temp Label, the green range says -2, wonder what that really means? Anyone?

Attachment 392369
Places like, Sarchu/Hanle/Rangdum/Lukung, can get sub zero with bone chilling winds.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:39   #349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaureanBull View Post
Firstly, there sleeping bags are supposed to be used single not alongwith rajais at least in the temperature range they are designed for.

IMO, the label means that Its safe and comfortable at +3C, however the extreme range is -19C. It would be advisable to add rajais at this temperature.

The Sleeping Bags (for low temperature) are filled with goose weathers. How it works is not by producing heat but by blocking your body heat to go out and outside cold to creep in. Its a very good non-conductor of heat. So, the sleeping bag may initially feel cold but after 5-10 mins would be comfortable. Dont wear thermals and get inside the bag, it may cause sweating.

Dont ever buy synthetic sleeping bags to serve you in cold temperatures.

BTW, does the above one has only one piece or a separate inner and outer sleeping bag?

That's interesting information.

The bag has only one layer, not outer or inner ones. I understand multi layer ones are for extreme conditions below 20? The Rock empire site gives detailed information on their bags.

An outdoor veteran advised me AGAINST buying feather ones in India, they need maintenance, need to be taken out and aired once in a while, cannot be kept bunched up inside a bag for a long time. The synthetic ones are low maintenance, lighter and can take more abuse.

=====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd July 2010 at 12:49.
Old 23rd July 2010, 12:42   #350
BHPian

@ RKB you're absolutely right, its the windchill which kills the most, sometime back I valiantly took at -5 labeled with me and was short of a horror story. Though my tent wasnt very sturdy, this time I am getting some Alpine ones which will hold on and help me with next years trek.

@Taureanbull now a days getting these equipments in-country is easier. There are labled big brands like North Face, Quecha etc (though costly, only buy in offseason) Sites like 20north.com else if you want to buy within India then go to Find a resellerI usually buy things from OlivePlanet you can visit Decathlon store in B,lore

Guruji, is a genius with technology, I've had the pleasure of knowing him, though little through 8 odd years. Gem of a person!
We both know (or only I know, whom you can give jitters/shivers) will elaborate once in Gurgaon during 1st week Aug.
Quote:
Gem of a person!
haven't known you otherwise!
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:04   #351
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ushuaia View Post
@Taureanbull now a days getting these equipments in-country is easier. There are labled big brands like North Face, Quecha etc (though costly, only buy in offseason) Sites like 20north.com else if you want to buy within India then go to Find a resellerI usually buy things from OlivePlanet you can visit Decathlon store in B,lore
I never recommended buying from outside. Infact I gave the address of a store in Delhi.

Guys, believe me this synthetic stuff will not work whatever its temperature rating is, unless its some extremely good stuff (i dont know of any) which would cost a fortune.

If I tell you price of a feather one with an inner and an outer you would be shocked. In 2003, it used to be more than 10k! But that was some wonderful imported stuff. You have to use the outer only in case temperature is not very low and both in case the temperature is very low.

Have anyone of you thought how the Army guys survive in Siachen? They dont carry rajai; they can not because its so heavy, the transportation would be a problem. They dont have SUV to carry for them. Its good old vehicle No !!. They use these feather sleeping bags. Let me tell you that one can not use these feather ones can not be used in snowbound areas they are so warm.

Maintenance You have to wipe off the sweat and dirt. Keep in sun to dry. Pack it and forget it. Its as simple as that. Dont we do this with our blankets and rajais. However, avoid any cuts on the body.

I have stayed in -15C comfortably in these sleeping bags. If you are not going to be very regular on these trips, find out if you can hire them out. There would be people. After all these foreigners on bicycle use them.

RKB, no offence plz but for a feather sleeping bag for that temperature 2k is a very less amount. IMO you wont get a good one below 10k. I will try any find out more on the recent developments.

Last edited by TaureanBull : 23rd July 2010 at 13:06.
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:26   #352
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post

I had never seen snow before.. So, it was time to P L A Y
Attachment 382235
It seems to be sunny yet there is ice.
Whats the approx. temperature there?
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:37   #353
BANNED

Quote:
One photo and one PDF just for information.... it would great if someone else would put their car car thro the test and validate...

Attachment 382914

========

Some more form this roue....
Can anyone explain this principle?
How is it violating the gravity and what is happening there?
Old 23rd July 2010, 13:46   #354
BHPian

@Ramky reference to ratings (Sleeping bag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
  • the upper limit is the highest temperature at which a 'standard' adult man is able to have a comfortable night's sleep without excess sweating.
  • the comfort rating is based on a 'standard' adult woman having a comfortable night's sleep.
  • the lower limit is based on the lowest temperature at which a 'standard' adult man is deemed to be able to have a comfortable night's sleep.
  • the extreme rating is a survival only rating for a 'standard' adult man. This is an extreme survival rating only and it is not advisable to rely on this rating for general use.
The transition zone, in between the comfort and lower temperature, is usually considered as the best purchase guideline

@TaureanBull got your point, I had a simple synthetic stuff and it didnt work, your comment on Down is absolutely correct since its really costly/time-consuming to maintain, however there are alternatives available in the form of synthetic micro-shell and I used a Biovac format (its when you sleep without a tent outdoors) during a trip to Breckenridge (Colorado) in winters me and a colleague (ex marine) camped outside only using biovac at -13 with a windchill. He was the teacher and I was the student in outdoor survival (he slept in North Face Summit series and I slept on a Quechua biovac cheapie with -10 extreme rating).

Downs are good at -15 and beyond, but even first-rate Alpiners loathe them but love them between 19000 - 27000 ft. Recently met/asked a acquaintance (Italian) who is planning for smaller peaks in Nepal. he's using a North Face Tundra (Climashield Rating:-20) and Dark Star -40 rating both synthetic.

For our kind of travel we seldom pitch outside, though there is emerging concensus here that we should. It may make sense to own a simple 4 layer contraption (effective wind-stopping tent - synthetic sleep mat - -5 rated Lower Limit and a "Duckback" yes hot water bottle)
Old 23rd July 2010, 16:00   #355
BANNED

Pics are too good and breath taking especially of the mountain.
I think you had a nice time at Leh.
Old 23rd July 2010, 18:44   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
To all bikers who ride all the way to LEH..

Whatta pics man. Awesome is the word.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:20   #357
BHPian

Ramky Sir, very nice photos and excellent travelogue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
Ramkya sir. Can't avoid making this comment. Please pardon me if it hurts your sensibilities.
From some photos I can see that it's not only the himalayan peaks that are glistening!

There's one more such mystery spot in California where things roll up the incline. More than Magnetism, I think it is to do with centre of gravity!

check this site.
The Mystery Spot Official Website

And while we wait for your video, do note sir, there are so many such spots in US which seem to show things roll up an incline. It's pure centre of gravity that moves your vehicle. The optical illusion makes you think it's moving up hill. Could be due to the angle at which other things surrounding are!
We have been to this Mystery Spot in California. I think this place is more of an optical illusion packaged nicely.

Optical illusion or not, there is a major difference between mystery spot and magnetic hill. The mystery spot is converted to a tourist spot and marketed very nicely using online media as well as artifacts that people carry with them and in process let other people know about the place. If you go there, you need to buy tickets, and the guides will make you believe that it is a mystery spot.

I think we are way behind in marketing such places, just my opinion. This place could be a revenue generator if marketed properly. I think there are only two places with this feature. One in Eastern Canada and the other is in India.
Old 24th July 2010, 12:42   #358
Senior - BHPian

I got these D-shackles (rated for 4T load) for Roshun & myself for Rs. 375/- each from Chawri bazaar. The tow rope (rated 5T) too was picked from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I got the D-shackles for 300rs/pair. The tow straps(rated 4 tonnes) I got for 1200 INR.
I have used these multiple times in towing out heavier MUVs also, and at one time I used these for towing a sumo uphill for over 500meters on a snowed out rohtang pass.
I wonder who is selling 2500rs shackles!
The shackles of the type that you have Ramky, got straightened out while pulling a stuck Scorpio in distress while on our way to Tso Moriri. On our return we replaced those shackles with the D-shackle.

Quote:
I am in Delhi this week-end and would love to pick up a pair of D shackles for 300/-, please let me know where you bought it from.

As for the toe-strap, mine rated for 5 tonnes, I paid 500/-, they asked for Rs.650/-. I heard that these straps were used on Anil's Scorpio last trip during their Leh drive, it straightened out on pulling as reported by a member from that trip.

=========
Quote:
Its available in Mayapuri, I bought D-Shackle for 350 and Tow strap for 3 Ton, was only used once to pull out Safari from P-Tso lake by a Scorpio.
Quote:
Thanks, will give it a try. Any particualr shop there?

=====
Old 26th July 2010, 12:39   #359
BANNED

Magnetic Hill

Later I have searched in Google and came across another magnetic Hill.It may find interesting.
Strange Phenomenon at Magnetic Hill
In July 2005 on our way to tour New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and Newfoundland in eastern Canada, we visited Magnetic Hill near the city of Moncton in the Province of New Brunswick. Please take a look at the following four pictures that I took at the Magnetic Hill.
Leh-docked-1.jpg
At this location, visitors can drive their cars to the lowest point (bottom of the hill) on this section of the road as shown in the following second picture.
Leh-docked-2.jpg
At the lowest point, the visitor stops the car, shifts the transmission of the car to the neutral position and releases the brake. (Some visitors even turn off the engine entirely at this point.) Then the car will start rolling up the hill (slope of the road) on its own and will keep on going up the hill as shown in the following two pictures.
Leh-docked-3.jpg
Leh-docked-4.jpg
If you have not tried it yet, it is fun to try it to experience this strange phenomenon first hand, if you have an opportunity to travel near that area in the future for sightseeing or any other purpose.Due to this strange phenomenon on this section of the road, a parallel new road was constructed to bypassthis section of the road so that visitors can try it to experience the strange phenomenon on this section of the road without worrying about running into regular vehicular traffic on the road.There were quite a few visitors with their cars, vans, trucks, recreational vehicles, motorcycles, etc. waiting on line to try this strange phenomenon at Magnetic Hill when I was there in July 2005. An old guy told me that this was his second time to visit Magnetic Hill. The first time was about 50 years ago when he was a teenager. He said that 50 years ago, they did not use cars but used bicycles. He sat on the bicycle and did not pedal the bicycle, but the bicycle just rolled up the hill on its own.The brochure entitled “The Story of Moncton’s Mysterious Magnetic Hill” for visitors at Magnetic Hill in Moncton indicates that the local farmers had observed this recurring strange phenomenon on their horse wagons in the early 1800’s. When they were going downhill on this section of the road, the horse seemed to be using substantial effort to pull the wagon to go downhill. But when they were going uphill, the wagon would run up on the heels of startled horse. There were also stories of barrels and bales of dry goods rolling mysteriously “uphill”.Observers also note that water in the roadside drainage ditches also seemingly runs “uphill.” This rules out magnetic as the force for this strange phenomenon.Location and Direction:The Magnetic Hill is at northwest part of the city of Moncton in the Province of New Brunswick. Moncton is in eastern Canada on Transcanada Highway 2, about 1,036 Km east of Montreal and 273 Km northwest of quot]Halifax. Directions: Take exit 450 of the Transcanada Highway (i.e. Highway #2) for Route 126 (i.e., Mountain Road) and follow the signs of Magnetic Hill. Phone: 506-853-3516. Websites
www.tourismnewbrunswick.ca/en-CA/Products/Attraction/FE390665-FEE8-468D-94C5-641B0E2761BB.
htm
http://www.eureka4you.com/magnetichi...Moncton-NB.htm
Old 26th July 2010, 12:57   #360
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
S S traders, adjacent to Khalsa Restaurant, on main road, opposite, but little ahead of CNG petrol pump. This guy have all sizes and good variety of Straps and D-Shackle.

In case you are going there, I can catch up with you for a little meet
I was in Delhi on 24th, me and my brother met RKB around Ghaziabad and experienced SX4 and heard RKB's experience with the car, looked very very postive.

We went to Mayapuri and got the D shackle for Rs.240/- There were lots of varieties and this was one of the smallest there, lots of tow-straps, a 4 mtr 5 ton capacity strap was offered for around Rs.650/ (MRP about 1650), we thought of buying that later.

RBK thanks a lot for spending your holiday with me, added SX4 to the short-list for next change of car.

Around 5 PM, I could also attend the TBHP meet at Noida Sector 18 thanks to Tanveer's co-ordination and directions, it was a great meet with about 20 people, well organized. You'd find photos on the TBHP Noida meet thread........

Adding a photo of the Shackle.
Attached Thumbnails
Leh-docked-amrdshackle.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 26th July 2010 at 13:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks