Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 16:38   #61
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
Today - 24th July. Myself and my wife, who arrived here last weekend, visited the popular "Tam Coc" location. This place is 100 Kms from Hanoi.
Also, we visited a Citadel - Hua Lu, which is 30 min away from Tam Coc cruise location.

We left at 7.45 AM. Reached the Citadel at 10.15AM. Stayed till 11 AM at this location. Then, travelled towards Tam Coc. Took the boat ride from 11.30 AM to 2 AM. Had lunch at a hotel on the bank, which was part of the $50 package per person.
The car was a Chevy Optra (here, it is called Daewoo xyz). comfortable.

Let the pictures narrate the rest.

Lovely and informational pictures and log. A few questions:
  • How did you travel from HCHC to Hanoi, heard the overland travel is very difficult and flight is expensive.
  • This package of $50 includes what all?
  • What would it cost for a 3 star hotel, twin occupancy, for stay and food?
=======
Old 26th July 2010, 17:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
In the city center, there is this huge square area, where most of the Government buildings and Presidential palace is present. It also has a few nicely maintained parks, the Single pillar Pagoda and the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum.

The street from West Lake to the Presidential palace in Hanoi.
Look at the first pic. The pavement is lovely. When will we have such a scene in bangalore where one can walk peacefully? I miss this the most !
Old 28th July 2010, 11:38   #63
Senior - BHPian

Wow! Very well written travelogue with apt snaps which self explain the context. Its my first tour on Vietnam and never knew its the second fastest growing economy.

Food is presented better than Taiwan (saw in Star's Taiwan travelogue).

Happy to see many beautiful cars, tax is less there? Found Matis and Optra also as taxi.

Tam Coc & Hua Lu Citadel looks amazing, like the locations in Jap/Thai fight movies .
Old 28th August 2011, 18:57   #64
Senior - BHPian

Re: VietNam - A BackPacker's view

Hi.. Nice thread. I stumbled upon this thread while searching for information on Vietnam and Indonesia. It seems pramods has abandoned this thread.
Thanks for sharing whatever you have. It seems like the only thread on Vietnam on this forum.
Old 29th August 2011, 01:29   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
It seems like the only thread on Vietnam on this forum.
God willing not for long.

Pramod gave me many leads for my research on Vietnam, set up contact with a travel agency for initial quotes, that got me started on the basic info, last year. Have been digging till today Great thread with useful information.

--Ramky
======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 29th August 2011 at 01:46.
Old 4th October 2018, 11:36   #66
BHPian

Hey Guys!

Putting it here, since this seems to be the thread with the most posts on Vietnam.

I am now living in Vietnam (HCMC, to be more specific). Please do not hesitate to PM me if you need any information while planning a trip here. Will be happy to help you in whatever way possible.

Disclaimer: I am not associated with any tour/travel agency. I work in Marketing here, and will try my best to provide you information to plan your trip, or if you need any urgent assistance here. This is just my way of giving back to the community, for all the information & knowledge I have gained over the years.
Sinner666 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th October 2018, 18:14   #67
BHPian

Like Sinner666, I can also help about Hanoi and Halong Bay.
I was there for last 3 months, so if anyone has any queries, will definitely help.
I guess, Pramod has already outlined a very good read about the country so do read through his posts.
PS: I am a pure vegetarian and survived Hanoi.
Old 5th October 2018, 12:44   #68
BHPian

Which is a good month to visit Vietnam? In terms of rain, climate, any festivals etc.
Old 7th October 2018, 07:36   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
Which is a good month to visit Vietnam? In terms of rain, climate, any festivals etc.
The peak season is October to February. They just have summer (accompanied with rains) and winter. Of course, as the country is spread lengthwise, you may experience different things at different times and places.
Ha Long bay is best visited during Oct to Feb
turbospooler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2018, 14:33   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbospooler View Post
Like Sinner666, I can also help about Hanoi and Halong Bay.
I was there for last 3 months, so if anyone has any queries, will definitely help.
I guess, Pramod has already outlined a very good read about the country so do read through his posts.
PS: I am a pure vegetarian and survived Hanoi.
Wow...missed a Tbhpian in a new country. Although I've just been to HN once on a brief visit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SajiNSalin View Post
I think the best place is October/November onwards till April/May, when the rains start. This I say for the South of Vietnam (HCMC till maybe upto Danang), where there are just 2 broad seasons - rains & summers. Although it is cooler when its raining & the summers are really hot & humid. Since you are from Kerala, you may relate as I find the weather to be an exact replica of Kerala.

Further North (Hanoi etc.), you have more clearer well defined 4 seasons, winters included.

You may want to avoid the Tet holidays here (Chinese/Lunar New Year), which falls around end Jan-mid Feb. Everyone goes back to their native places, or is travelling (locals go home & all expats go back to their home countries too), and everything completely shuts down. I've heard stories from colleagues that even malls close down for 3-4 days, and even their water supplier was on a holiday.
Sinner666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th December 2018, 20:47   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Hey Guys!

I am now living in Vietnam (HCMC, to be more specific). Please do not hesitate to PM me if you need any information while planning a trip here. Will be happy to help you in whatever way possible.
I am travelling to Vietnam in the last week of December. Looking for following information i.e.
a) Looking for reasonable veg/non veg (Indian/Continental/Chinese) food options in Hanoi, Hoi-An and Saigon.
b) We would like to try Vietnamese dishes? Any recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 18th December 2018, 09:33   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpkbehera View Post
I am travelling to Vietnam in the last week of December. Looking for following information i.e.
a) Looking for reasonable veg/non veg (Indian/Continental/Chinese) food options in Hanoi, Hoi-An and Saigon.
b) We would like to try Vietnamese dishes? Any recommendations.

Thanks in Advance.
Hi,

There are plenty of Indian restaurants in all the 3 cities you mentioned. I shall try to list them city wise.

HCMC - Most of them are concentrated in the backpacker street area (Bui Vien). I guess there would be some 6-7 Indian restaurants, if not more. Baba's Kitchen is usually the most recommended, and something I personally like too. However, please keep in mind that most Indian restaurants close by 11PM, so if midnight hunger pangs strike, Taj Mahal on Bui Vien is your only hope - it stays open till about 1 AM. If you are willing to venture out a bit, there are more options like Natraj, Ganesh, Ganges, Benares (a bit pricey), Tandoor etc.

Hoi An - The best I have heard/tried so far are Baba's, Ganesh (same branch from HCMC), and Omar's.
Make sure you are spending the evening in Hoi An, as that's when they switch on the lights, and it truly comes alive. Best if you can stay the night, else hang around till 9-10 if you are staying in Da Nang.

Hanoi - Again, most of the restaurants are clustered in the Old Quarter/Hoan Kiem area, but you do have some in the expat enclaves of Tay Ho. I have tried a couple, but somehow always found better Indian food in HCMC than Hanoi. You could try Khazaana, Grills & Gravy, PK, Dalcheeni or Maazi (in Tay Ho, bit far from city center, but a newer & classy decor)

Plenty of Vietnamese dishes you can try, but given they do not have same definitions of 'vegetarian' as us, you need to be a bit more open & adjusting.

Pho (Noodle soup) is the trademark dish that you should have when here. Its traditionally beef, but you get chicken versions too, but the broth may be beef. But if you go to a Vegetarian only place (there are quite a few, catering to the Buddhist population; Look out for 'Chay' written on boards), you can be assured that everything is made out of vegetables or tofu.

Another must try is Banh Mi, which is like a Baguette subway sandwich (It was even the official dress for Vietnam's entry into the Miss Universe competition recently). You can easily find it in street side carts all over the cities. You can customize this as its assembled in front of you like a Subway sandwich. There is a very famous Banh Mi shop in Hoi An (Banh Mi Phuong), which was reviewed by Anthony Bourdain when he was here, and is all the rage. Expect to queue for 10-15 mins.

The taste varies too, as you travel North to South. South is more sweeter.

Besides, if you are in the mood for good vegetarian if in HCMC, you should visit Hum. A bit pricey, but worth it.

Hope I have been able to answer your queries. What dates are you here? I would be in HCMC & travelling to Hanoi for work too. PM me if you need any help while here.

Last edited by Sinner666 : 18th December 2018 at 09:42.
Sinner666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 10:32   #73
BHPian

I am planning a Thailand, Vietnam trip in late March 2019, travelling with wife. Did a bit of research and while most of the things are working out well, Hanoi seems difficult to plan in the 2Days, 2 Nights that we plan to spend there. Sharing the tentative itinerary for some guidance on whether it is possible/sensible:

Day 1 - 8:45 am - Arrival at Hanoi airport
Day 1 - 11 am - Reach Old Quarters taking bus from Airport to city
Day 1 - rest of day - local sightseeing (water puppets, market, prison, museum, mausoleum, cathedral)
Day 2 - Visit to Halong Bay taking a one-day trip - research indicates tour operators start at 8:30 am from Old Quarters, take to Halong Bay by 12 noon, return back after cruise by 4 PM and drop back to Hanoi at around 8 PM.
Day 3 - flight is at 12 Noon so leave from Old Quarters to airport by bus at around 9 AM.

Stay is planned somewhere in Old Quarters. We are planning this to be a proper backpacking trip and particularly leisure one so rushing from one spot to other and crashing on bed at night.
Old 18th December 2018, 12:37   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
I am planning a Thailand, Vietnam trip in late March 2019, travelling with wife. Did a bit of research and while most of the things are working out well, Hanoi seems difficult to plan in the 2Days, 2 Nights that we plan to spend there. Sharing the tentative itinerary for some guidance on whether it is possible/sensible:

Day 1 - 8:45 am - Arrival at Hanoi airport
Day 1 - 11 am - Reach Old Quarters taking bus from Airport to city
Day 1 - rest of day - local sightseeing (water puppets, market, prison, museum, mausoleum, cathedral)
Day 2 - Visit to Halong Bay taking a one-day trip - research indicates tour operators start at 8:30 am from Old Quarters, take to Halong Bay by 12 noon, return back after cruise by 4 PM and drop back to Hanoi at around 8 PM.
Day 3 - flight is at 12 Noon so leave from Old Quarters to airport by bus at around 9 AM.

Stay is planned somewhere in Old Quarters. We are planning this to be a proper backpacking trip and particularly leisure one so rushing from one spot to other and crashing on bed at night.
Hey ksameer1234,

It does seem a bit optimistic. Although I live in HCMC, and been to Hanoi for work previously, but recently had a chance to do Halong & other touristy stuff while my parents visited us here. So, giving a more realistic picture in terms of how things may NOT roll the way you planned.

Arrival to Old Quarters - Do you have an e-Visa or planning to pick up one on arrival. Depending on the time you land, season etc. getting the Visa done can take anywhere from 30mins - 2 hours (this is not including the time you spend in the immigration queue). I haven't flown into Hanoi, but HCMC is notorious for this, and I suggest you read up whether this is as big a problem in Hanoi as in HCMC. There are workarounds though (this is an equally corrupt system as India ) - you pay an agent who fast tracks all this process via the backdoor. The airport itself is a good 1 hr drive from the city. But since, peak office hours will be getting over by the time you land, should not be much of a problem.

Sightseeing - Again depends how long your visa will take to get processed, but in all seems a bit ambitious too. You should choose basis what interests you. I personally liked the war museum as I dig that kind of stuff (Personal highlight was that you could actually walk down into the bomb shelter, see the war room, period maps etc.)

Halong is a bit of a tight run – It is a proper 3.5-4hr journey one way. Although, it’s recommended to stay the night, I don’t see any way you could fit it into your schedule. Be advised though that the day trips will take you only to most of the nearest & commercialized (read: chocablock with tourists - mostly Chinese) islets.
One tip though: Select a nicer boat, as most of your experience depends on how good the boat is. Although it’s more of a concern if you are staying the night, but I’ve seen quite a few run down boats too, which seemed too unappealing even for a day trip. Otherwise, it’s a very standard package, with very few things that can go wrong.

Way back to Airport – Bus#86 runs around Hoan Kiem to the Airport. You should check with the hotel on the nearest stops.
Weather should be okay in March, although the Gulf of Tonkin and Halong Bay is known to have bouts of bad weather & tropical storms, which puts all sailing on hold. Maybe, check couple of days before you fly.

Last edited by Sinner666 : 18th December 2018 at 12:45.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 12:55   #75
BHPian

Thanks a lot for the detailed help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Arrival to Old Quarters - Do you have an e-Visa or planning to pick up one on arrival.
Planning to get e-visa from this website (link). I have read several horror stories around the world regarding visa on arrival (scams, bribes etc.) so e-visa is top priority.

Quote:
The airport itself is a good 1 hr drive from the city. But since, peak office hours will be getting over by the time you land, should not be much of a problem.
This is the only concern, the distance of airport from city. Also, I land at 8:45 am and armed with e-visa and cabin baggage, aim to be out of the airport in an hour, at max. Will that land me in the office rush hour?

Quote:
Sightseeing - Again depends how long your visa will take to get processed, but in all seems a bit ambitious too.
Yes, it is ambitious and we'll probably shortlist a few spots closer to the date of travel.

Quote:
Halong is a bit of a tight run – It is a proper 3.5-4hr journey one way. Although, it’s recommended to stay the night, I don’t see any way you could fit it into your schedule.
The plan currently is to travel from Hanoi to HCM and stay there for 2 days, so I can change flight options so as to fit in overnight stay in Halong Bay. Actually that was the initial plan but wife is simply not impressed by Halong Bay from whatever she's read/seen and one-day trip is the best I could convince her for.

Quote:
Be advised though that the day trips will take you only to most of the nearest & commercialized (read: chocablock with tourists - mostly Chinese) islets.
I did foresee this risk of one-day trip. However, we are not convinced that 2-day trip is worth it from time and money perspective. One-day trip costs about 3-5k INR per person while 2-day is 15-20k INR. Are these cost estimates correct?

Quote:
One tip though: Select a nicer boat, as most of your experience depends on how good the boat is.
Reading up reviews to find best possible one, which also fits the budget.

Quote:
Weather should be okay in March, although the Gulf of Tonkin and Halong Bay is known to have bouts of bad weather & tropical storms, which puts all sailing on hold.
Will do. I was planning for early-March where this might be little less of worry but hope late-March is not too much of trouble.
P.S: Wife is very excited about going to Cu Chi Tunnels in HCM and firing some rounds. That is the only thing which sealed the Vietnam trip for her. I hope it works as written by others with no surprises.

Last edited by ksameer1234 : 18th December 2018 at 12:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks