Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th December 2018, 14:00   #76
BHPian

Re: VietNam - A BackPacker's view

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksameer1234 View Post
Thanks a lot for the detailed help!

Planning to get e-visa from this website (link). I have read several horror stories around the world regarding visa on arrival (scams, bribes etc.) so e-visa is top priority.
Do not have much experience with eVisas, but I have heard that in case its a multiple entry visa, its not applicable for land border crossings. Please check this in case you plan on travelling further

Quote:
This is the only concern, the distance of airport from city. Also, I land at 8:45 am and armed with e-visa and cabin baggage, aim to be out of the airport in an hour, at max. Will that land me in the office rush hour?
Ideally, should not. Office hours are generally early here (Govt. offices are 7:30AM-4:30PM. Private offices are usually 8:30ish). Plus, 70% of the route to Hanoi from the airport is a highway, that's not usually very crowded. You will face traffic only when you hit the city limits. I think you should be okay.

Quote:
The plan currently is to travel from Hanoi to HCM and stay there for 2 days, so I can change flight options so as to fit in overnight stay in Halong Bay. Actually that was the initial plan but wife is simply not impressed by Halong Bay from whatever she's read/seen and one-day trip is the best I could convince her for.

I did foresee this risk of one-day trip. However, we are not convinced that 2-day trip is worth it from time and money perspective. One-day trip costs about 3-5k INR per person while 2-day is 15-20k INR. Are these cost estimates correct?

Reading up reviews to find best possible one, which also fits the budget.
To be honest, I personally find very little to 'actually see' in HCMC - its more like any other SE Asian city barring the few museums & markets. What it actually is, is a great base to explore other areas around. Maybe just me, but I prefer more nature and stuff than the city, which actually is pretty much like back home in Gurgaon - glass buildings, traffic etc.

Halong, on the other hand is a UNESCO World Heritage site, and some of the views are mesmerizing. I do admit it’s a bit overrun by tourists, and even the one night stay that we opted for, didn’t take us to the most beautiful beaches, but it’s an experience. Stay prices swing depending on what kind of boat you opt for. We paid approx. INR 12k/person for a 3 star-ish boat for 2D1N. Whatever you decide, you should insist on the name of the boat, and read reviews on TA before you pay. Also, insist you get the same boat, and they don’t switch boats.

Quote:
P.S: Wife is very excited about going to Cu Chi Tunnels in HCM and firing some rounds. That is the only thing which sealed the Vietnam trip for her. I hope it works as written by others with no surprises.
Around HCMC, couple of places to head out – Cu Chi is one of them, although I haven’t been there yet (wife is claustrophobic, and isn’t too thrilled with firing Kalashnikovs). It’s a half day trip, and have heard it is good, but typical touristy stuff. You could also head to Vung Tau, which is the nearest beach – a full day trip, and not the most impressive beach though, which I am assuming you'd have had your fill of in TH.

Last edited by Sinner666 : 18th December 2018 at 14:02.
Sinner666 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 14:38   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Do not have much experience with eVisas, but I have heard that in case its a multiple entry visa, its not applicable for land border crossings. Please check this in case you plan on travelling further
Thanks. Didn't think about this. Will find out the details.

Quote:
To be honest, I personally find very little to 'actually see' in HCMC
Same here. We had almost dropped HCM from itinerary until wife stumbled upon the firing range.

Quote:
Maybe just me, but I prefer more nature and stuff than the city, which actually is pretty much like back home in Gurgaon - glass buildings, traffic etc.
Same here again. But we have had quite a few such trips so wife wants to be among crowd now. I am sure this experience will make her change mind.
Old 18th December 2018, 16:07   #78
BHPian

any Team-Bhp members in Hanoi?, planning a trip around Mar 15 alone, plans is to do Ha long bay and Cat Bay cruises for photography and also HA Giang in the mountains, wanted feedback and any other help in this matter
Old 20th December 2018, 16:46   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
any Team-Bhp members in Hanoi?, planning a trip around Mar 15 alone, plans is to do Ha long bay and Cat Bay cruises for photography and also HA Giang in the mountains, wanted feedback and any other help in this matter
Hey shivshanker,

Although I don't live in Hanoi, but have traveled around the place some, so can add in with some bits.
Halong & Cat Ba cruises can be combined. Basically, cruises which offer more than 2D1N will have the option of Cat Ba, or other islets. You would just need to select the cruise that offers Cat Ba. A typical itinerary looks like this:
Day 1 - Board cruise by 12, and have lunch while cruising on the bay, on the way to the most popular/crowded island (I forget the name - It’s the one which has the second largest cave in Vietnam)
After a couple of hours here, you shall be taken to another islet, which has a little beach, as well as the highest spot/lookout point in the bay. An easy 15-20 min hike.
You will be back on the boat by 6PM ish, followed by an early dinner, and by 9, you are free to lounge around/drink on the deck.
Day 2 – Usually taken to a Pearl farm, followed by some kayaking after breakfast.
Have lunch by 12, and then head out for Cat Ba, and stay the night in Cat Ba (not on the boat), but on the island.
You can do various activities here like biking, hiking etc.
Day 3 - Leave post breakfast & cruise in the bay to arrive at Halong Bay by 12, and off you go.
Please note that I have done only the 2D1N option, and what I say for Cat Ba is basis what my tour operator’s sales pitch was for the 3D2N option. There are even longer options too, which will take you out further to more unexplored corners, but the price will go up exponentially, due to lack of economies of scale.
Ha Giang, I have not been to yet. So, no clue. Read up blogs – Cristina’s blogs are usually pretty accurate on for most destinations in Vietnam.

Feel free to ask any more questions, and I shall gladly help with whatever I know.
Sinner666 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th October 2019, 03:46   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivshanker View Post
Did you end up doing the Ha Giang loop? Was there any issue with IDPs issued by the Mumbai RTO?
Old 7th October 2019, 09:24   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Did you end up doing the Ha Giang loop? Was there any issue with IDPs issued by the Mumbai RTO?
@prateekm, I did not go to Ha Giang as the weather forecast was predicting heavy rains, no point in a photo tour when the weather is incremental. Also the safety of my camera kit was more important.

I did rent a two wheeler in Hanoi though for two days and they either swipe your card for a deposit or if paying cash then they prefer to keep your passport. What I was told is that incase of any problems with Cops, you need to sort it out yourself.

Hope this helps
Old 7th October 2019, 19:54   #82
Senior - BHPian

Anyone planning to go for the Vietnam F1 race, next april?
Old 17th April 2023, 23:30   #83
BHPian

Guys, Any travel agent you recommend please, my cousin wants to travel from India, Bangalore to Vietnam.

Thanks,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks