Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2010, 23:05   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hey lovely pictures.I am seeing the "Aana" buses after eternity,close to 10years.Nostalgic for sure.Thanx for sharing these pictures.I was quite a regular on a 9am-blr departure KSRTC bus that reached Calicut at 5pm during my college days in Blore.All these buses have a scheduled(atleast used to have)stop at a Gundulpet restaurant(one of the dirtiest possible places on the route!!) just before they take the right to the forest road.Good old days!!!Glad to see that the Thamarasserry ghat roads are done up now,i remember during my travel days,they would only let the vehicles leave in convoys and there would always be a palpable tension inside the bus just before the driver began the descent.It was fun.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:37   #17
BHPian

Mavoor - Ottappalam

Before I move on to the Mavoor-Ottapalam stretch, a couple of pictures from the earlier section:

The first hairpin as you go down. Tiles paved to prevent frequent pitting I guess.
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-093.jpg

Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-094.jpg

The next day I drove to Ottappalam from Mavoor. The route was Mavoor - Kavanakkal Bridge - Vazhakkad - Edavannappara - Kondotty - Malappuram - Perinthalmanna - Cherpulassery - Ottappalam.

Here is the route I took: ( from my trip log in instamapper - it uses Google maps)
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-mavoor_ottapalam.jpg

The roads were excellent upto Perinthalmanna. From Perinthalmanna to Ottappalam, the road condition was strictly average, with uneven surfaces and broken stretches here and there. However, Once you get off from the Kozhikode-Palakkad road at Perinthalmanna and eventually take the Perinthalmanna-Cherpulassery road, the traffic density drops down considerably, and overall the driving becomes much more easier.

Somewhere in Malappuram
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-096.jpg
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-097.jpg

Caught in the rain
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-102.jpg

Reached Ottappalam by lunchtime, and visited the Chinakkathur temple a few km outside Ottapalam town in the evening.

Chinakkathur temple in the evening
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-116.jpg
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-114.jpg

Rest after today's drive-a lot more to do tomorrow!
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-125.jpg

Last edited by Bigzero : 27th July 2010 at 08:44.
Old 27th July 2010, 08:43   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Hey lovely pictures.I am seeing the "Aana" buses after eternity,close to 10years.Nostalgic for sure.Thanx for sharing these pictures.I was quite a regular on a 9am-blr departure KSRTC bus that reached Calicut at 5pm during my college days in Blore.All these buses have a scheduled(atleast used to have)stop at a Gundulpet restaurant(one of the dirtiest possible places on the route!!) just before they take the right to the forest road.Good old days!!!Glad to see that the Thamarasserry ghat roads are done up now,i remember during my travel days,they would only let the vehicles leave in convoys and there would always be a palpable tension inside the bus just before the driver began the descent.It was fun.
Thanks!

The Ghat roads are much better nowadays.

Well I know which restaurant you are talking about. Our bus stopped at a different one, this time before Gundlupet. I didnt have lunch at all ( as I had a decent brunch in Mysore ), so I cant comment on the quality of food there...
Old 27th July 2010, 08:52   #19
Team-BHP Support

Real nice. Very nostalgic as Ranjit mentioned! Evening snap and the one one with scooter caught in the rain is worth a "chilli bajji"
Old 27th July 2010, 09:20   #20
BHPian

Return journey starts

The plan for the return journey was like this - reach Bangalore by evening, stay somewhere overnight, and then push off early in the morning to reach Hyderabad for lunch.

So, we left Ottappalam at around 7.30 am. It was drizzling when we left, but it stopped eventually. However the sky continued to be heavily overcast, and the temperature was pleasant throughout.
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-146.jpg
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-148.jpg

The shortest route from Ottappalam to Bangalore will be Ottappalam - Perinthalmanna - Nilambur - Gudalur- Mysore -Bangalore . Another option was to go via coimbatore, krishnagiri etc. I decided to go via Perinthalmanna-nilambur with a slight twist in the route. I had wanted to explore the Perinthalmanna-Melattur-Karuvarakkundu-Kalikavu-Nilambur route for a while now, and this was an opportunity to do that. The Kalikavu-Nilambur stretch was familiar to me as I had spent a couple of years of my early childhood in a place near Kalikavu ( more on that later ). We also had our small patch of rubber estate in the area as well, which we sold off in 1989 or so. I had made a number of trips to those places when I was a teenager. So that was reason enough to try this route. I wanted to find out how these places looked twenty years later. Also, Karuvarakkundu was a place I had never been to, and I just wanted to find out what kind of place it was. So the decision was taken, and off we went.
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-otpkaruvarakundu.jpg

Oh by the way, I had configured my mobile to feed my location data to a site called www.instamapper.com, so that I could retreive it later and relook at all the places I went ( I dont have a GPS equipment, so my phone coupled with google maps for instant reference and instamapper for recording is a cheaper alternative - at least till the time I invest in a full-fledged GPS solution. ).

Ottappalam to Perinthalmanna was a very pleasant early morning drive. We crossed through Perinthalmanna town towards the Ooty road ( the Perinthalmanna-Nilambur regular route ). The turnout to Melattur is at a place called Pattikkad, around 5 km or so after Perinthalmanna.

The road surface was excellent upto Melattur, where I had to take a right turn for Karuvarakkundu, onto a slightly narrow but still quite decent road.

Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-155.jpg
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-156.jpg
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-157.jpg

Eventually I touchted Karuvarakkundu, which is a small town right outside the Silent Valley Range and close to the mountains.
Photos - a very short trip to Kerala - 22-24th Jul 2010-kerala_jul2010-160.jpg

We stopped at a local tea shop to have some nice "podi"tea. A pity I didnt take a snap of the place. An old hajiyar was at the counter and we chatted for a while . It was great, to have piping hot tea in a small tea shop with benches and desks and a samovar in the background, while it drizzled outside.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

what a climate for a drive (careful since kerala roads look muddy and slippery). very nice pictures. keep coming.
i bought something from the shop 'gandhi village' last time i visited sultan battery. there are many 'green' shops on the same stretch.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:54   #22
BHPian

@Bigzero - nice travelogue with some beautiful green pictures. The one titled "Caught in the rain", you were parked beneath a tree?
Old 27th July 2010, 12:19   #23
BHPian

Hi Bigzero,
The pics are really good. Especially liked the first one of the ghats.
Old 27th July 2010, 12:54   #24
BHPian

Super photos! Those buses really bring back old memories ... especially the 'toddy' sign
Old 27th July 2010, 13:56   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
Thanks!

The Ghat roads are much better nowadays.

Well I know which restaurant you are talking about. Our bus stopped at a different one, this time before Gundlupet. I didnt have lunch at all ( as I had a decent brunch in Mysore ), so I cant comment on the quality of food there...
Well, I guess he is talking about hotel Kaveri after Gundelpet. Once upon a time, this was regular stop for all the buses (KL and KA SRTCs). They had clean toilets and served average food too.
It all started when they opened up the bar. Now this place has turned into a full fledged brothel.
So be warned guys..never ever step into this place, especially if you are traveling with your family.
Old 27th July 2010, 14:05   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quaint towns, nice roads, excellent scenery, even better weather and a wonderful narrative - what more you need!! Looking forward for more

I'd done the Pattikad-Pandikkad-Nilambur route in pouring rain in the night with my Santro jumping from one pothole to the other. Seems you had a much better time. Great going
Old 27th July 2010, 18:58   #27
BHPian

Bigzero. Nice pics. Green Kerala is always tempting. The 1st Marigold field pic was truly eye-catching. Loving it.
Old 27th July 2010, 19:13   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by renney.varghese View Post
Super photos! Those buses really bring back old memories ... especially the 'toddy' sign
+1 to that

My last to*dy session in Mysore was a disaster. This time I am planning to do it in my home town (next month).

Thanks for sharing pictures
Old 27th July 2010, 20:02   #29
BHPian

This blog brings back a lot of memories. It's been a long time since I've got into those KSRTC buses. And as far as I remember they drive like hell on the highways. You never realize the beauty that is KL until you leave :-(
Old 28th July 2010, 07:00   #30
BHPian

Thanks all for appreciating the thread! Will post the next set shortly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutty Nair
The one titled "Caught in the rain", you were parked beneath a tree?
Yes!

Last edited by Bigzero : 28th July 2010 at 07:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks