Team-BHP > Travelogues

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2010, 11:12   #1
BHPian

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour

This is my second trip to Norway, first one was only for two days and was in Oslo for business meeting. My schedule for Norway was for two weeks and I had 4 days off to explore Norway.

Before I start my travelogue, let me give you some info on Norway. Norway comes under schegen country and it’s the costliest country in the Europe, just to give you the cost factor the taxis are the costliest of them for about 12 km I paid around 800 nok ( around 6000 Rs ). Hotels will give you discounts only if you book in advance, hotel rates vary, during weekends it’s the max. Every city in Norway has a city center were all the action takes place; always try to book your hotel around city center. There are Indian restaurant in city center so eating will not be a problem, and to save cost always take the city bus ,its very cheap.

Norway in a nutshell-----The fjord tour
Bergen ---- Myrdal ---- Flam ------ Gudvangen ------ Voss ------- Bergen.

next post in two hours
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3734.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3733.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 12:26   #2
BHPian

I arrived in Norway – Bergen on 3-oct-10, its was Sunday and check in to a hotel booked by our counterpart in Norway, I immediately went to sleep as I was very tired and just one day before my departure to Norway I arrived from Singapore.
4th,5th,6th,7th was all work and no play. On 8th we decided to visit the city center, we took the city bus ( bus no. 50E ), after a short ride we arrived at city center of Bergen. The land mark is the big fish market. The very first thing we did was to visit the tourist info center which is located opposite to the fish market. There we took the map of Bergen, Fjord tour iteniery, and names of all Indian restaurants and the Bergen bus card – this card is very useful as you can travel any no of times on all city bus and you also get discounts on cable car ride to the mountain top, discounts on Bergen city tour and free entry to any museum in Bergen, this card is valid for 48 hrs and the cost is 250 nok.

We decided to take the Norway in nut shell fjord tour as it was very popular among tourist. The cost of the fjord tour was 975 nok ( around 10,000 rs ).

NOTE- you get only info at the tourist center were you will be given the direction as were to gi, what to see and were you do the bookings for the fjord tour.

We decided to take the tour on Sunday, we went to the railway station to do our bookings. The booking can be done at the ticket office , you just have to tell the person that you want to take the Norway in nutshell tour and he will give you all the tickets in one shot.
So the booking was done and we were happy that we now can relax and explore the Bergen city. As it was Friday so we had two days to explore the Bergen city.

We decided to take the cable train to the mountain top. We headed to the cable car station which is near the fish market, at the ticket counter we showed our Bergen card and we were allowed free entry.
Old 17th October 2010, 13:13   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another one from Norway from you, Bring it On!! The Fjords have natural beauty that is unparalleled. Its an amazing sight to be cruising in the Fjords. I am so lucky that I did Norway for free while working on cruise. You are right, its bloody expensive!!
I see that you took the Flam railway!! I have never taken it but I believe that its one of the most exciting journey through high mountain ranges. Cant wait to see the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
We decided to take the cable train to the mountain top. We headed to the cable car station which is near the fish market, at the ticket counter we showed our Bergen card and we were allowed free entry.
Are you talking about the Funicular here? Its amazing isnt it? And I can say for sure that the Bergen fish market is one of the cleanest with wide variety of seafood available. Did you taste the whale meat?

Please continue!!
Old 17th October 2010, 13:22   #4
Team-BHP Support

Now we are talking! Fjords are one of the best natural landscapes!
Waiting to see the snaps!
Old 17th October 2010, 13:26   #5
BHPian

enjoy the pic, in the third pic you can see the cable train station.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3351.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3352.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3456.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3357.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3358.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3359.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3360.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3361.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3362.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3363.jpg  

Old 17th October 2010, 13:37   #6
Senior - BHPian

Beautifull pics Udai!!! Your pics have refreshed my memory of Bergen. Thanks for posting and waiting for more.

It seems that they have changes the colour of the cable train. It used to be blue when i visited, it looks like red now

And also, the 3rd pic looks more like Flam Marina to me and not Bergen. Am I right?

Regards
Old 17th October 2010, 14:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Beautifull pics Udai!!! Your pics have refreshed my memory of Bergen. Thanks for posting and waiting for more.

It seems that they have changes the colour of the cable train. It used to be blue when i visited, it looks like red now

And also, the 3rd pic looks more like Flam Marina to me and not Bergen. Am I right?

Regards
yes the pic is of flam i posted the wrong pic. There are two cable train,one red and other blue. I have pic of both. Yes the cable trains are called funicular.
Old 19th October 2010, 13:33   #8
Senior - BHPian

Udai its been a while since you posted, kindly continue with your log. Waiting for the rest of the pictures
Thanks
Old 19th October 2010, 14:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deky View Post
Udai its been a while since you posted, kindly continue with your log. Waiting for the rest of the pictures
Uday may already started his journey toward new country as he is doing it since past six months.

Now, i remember, he pm me about route to Tuljapur.
He may be at Tuljapur.

@UDAY,
next post please.
Old 19th October 2010, 16:58   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
Uday may already started his journey toward new country as he is doing it since past six months.

Now, i remember, he pm me about route to Tuljapur.
He may be at Tuljapur.

@UDAY,
next post please.
Ashish is some what right, Yes I am planningmy next trip, hmm I am going to my native place and then to Japan. But not before I complete this travelogue.

I am in office right now, will write in the evening when I reach home, may be at night in the mean time I amposting some pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3365.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3366.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3367.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3375.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3377.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3381.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3382.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3384.jpg  

Last edited by udaydesai : 19th October 2010 at 17:00. Reason: wrong pic
Old 19th October 2010, 17:11   #11
BHPian

The view for the top was breath tacking, we spent ( we - i.e Myself and my collegue ) around one hour, there is not much on the mountain top just two, three hotels were one can get refreshment. You can also take one's car to the mountain top. After a good one hour we again decended back to the base of the mountain. This was on friday, remember we had book our fjord tour on sunday, so one more day to explore. We did some shopping and after having our dinner in an indian hotel we called it a day and return back to our hotel.
Next day we took a open bus ride to explore the Bergen city, This I shall cover at the end of my travelogue as every one is waiting my experience of fjord tour and yes a lot of picture.

Next travelogur tonight the Fjord tour.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3386.jpg  

Last edited by udaydesai : 19th October 2010 at 17:14. Reason: want to add a pic
Old 19th October 2010, 21:41   #12
BHPian

We got up early at 6 am and after morning ritual we had our break fast ( breakfast is always included in the room tariff ),we set out to catch the 9.30 am bus, when we stepped outside our hotel, a very cold breeze just made us relies that it -2 deg and we had to hurry so that we get into the bus which has heaters inside, took the city bus and reached the railway station. The train was already there when we reached the station. Its was 10.00 am in the morning when we reached the station and the was to depart at 10.30 am. My colleague went to buy some refreshment, I went in search of loo to relive myself. Found one, guess what?, 10 nok to pee ( 100 Rs ), had to pay, what choice do I have.

Went inside the train, found our seats and made our self comfortable. The train ride from Bergen to Myrdal is of two hours and this train slowly climbs the mountain and reaches the height on 800 m above sea level.

Inside the train the heaters made us very comfortable so much so that i had to remove my jacket . the two hour train ride was very eventful as it passes through very great country side , lakes forests and mountain

After two hours we arrived at Myrdal station which is the highest railway station about 800m above sea level. When we got down the tempt was -7 deg and it was freezing cold.

We had to take another train to go to Flam. This train was just next to the adjacent platform. We did click some snaps as we had another half hour before the train leaves for Flam.

The train journey from Myrdal to Flam is one to die for, it’s the most memorable journey we had in our lives.

After half hour we started our descent towards the Flam.

Lets the pic do the talking.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3387.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-image105.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-image100.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3389.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3388.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-image106.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3391.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3393.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3397.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3396.jpg  

Old 21st October 2010, 09:10   #13
BHPian

The train to Flam passes through several wooden tunnels and takes two stops. The journey takes about 45 mim were you are zapped with most beautiful country side that you will ever seen.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3399.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3402.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3404.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3416.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3418.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3419.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3426.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3433.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3435.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3438.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2010, 15:36   #14
BHPian

At Flam there was two hours break for lunch, There are no indian hotels at Flam, but you can surviev on fruit juice and cakes.
we decided to explore the Flam and clicked lots of snaps.
The actual Fjord tour starts now, there is a medium size cruse boat, it had three decks, the ground floor are for cars, the upper deck houses a hall which has heaters so as to keep you warm. it also has an open deck. The top deck is the open deck which gives you a very wide view of the Fjord.
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3440.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3441.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3445.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3456.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3436.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3470.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3503.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3509.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3520.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3524.jpg  

Old 3rd November 2010, 10:19   #15
BHPian

Sorry for not updating this travelogue for long time as I was In Singapore.

Ok, the journey from Flam to Gudvangan is of two hours, this journey is made my a mediem size boat. this journey take you to the un explored parts of Norway, on the way the boat stops to pick up people leaving on remort location, som of the villages do not have roads and are totally depended on this boat.

The tempreture now was -4 deg and was freezing cold.
enjoy the snaps
Attached Thumbnails
Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3504.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3510.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3521.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3524.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3528.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3529.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3536.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3551.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3556.jpg  

Norway in Nutshell- Fjord tour-img_3560.jpg