Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2010, 18:20   #1

Bangalore to Horanadu

Journey: Bangalore to Horanadu
Journey Type: Religious
Vehicle: Ford Ikon
Distance: 790 km

Last december I had been on a week long journey to the coastal regions of Karnataka and while coming back to Bangalore I had visited Horanad for the first time. I was very impressed with the Idol [which was unusual for me] and the cleanliness of the place. that moment I had decided I would visit again this year.
With my wifes exams and other committments it just wasn't happening. finally I decided to just get-going on Deepavali weekend.

woke-up at 5:00am and had planned to leave by 7:00am, but exited the home compound at 8:05am. Had planned to pack-up the breakfast and
have it while driving, but after reaching nearby restaurant, decided to finish it up then-n-there and carried just couple packets for journey.
Withdrew some money from ATM and finally hit the road at 8:45am. Took the NICE road from Kanakapura Road till Tumkur Road, Rs.65/- Normally the road has few vehicles. But this time it was empty,
What a luck . Hit the accelerator and reached 152 kph. Ya... That Burns more fuel but, how many times do you get to hit that speed . In a short while the rush turned into mixed reaction [astonishment,fear,frustration & anger] , saw a Mercedes Benz coming the Wrong way with blinking lights. I just couldn't believe this is happening on the NICE road. The guy was coming from the Magadi road and going towards Mysore-Road. Idiot is such a low word for that person.

Reached Kanakapura Road to Hasan Road junction in just 35min. Hasan road use to be such a beautiful stretch, it is now screwed-up and WIP just like entire Bangalore. The drive was ok till Kunigal, after that the roads are patchy. After Channarayapatna there is not much smooth road till Hasan.

Earlier had thought of taking break in Hasan, but then decided to skip it and do a stop over at Chickmagalur. I didn't take the Mudigere route, coz I was told, that route is full of pot-holes. Hasan<->Belur to a major part has a smooth.. Smooth road.. Just like Babies bottom . Beyond that it is again motorable till chickmagalur.

Took a lunch break in Chikmagalur in "Planters Court". Decent looking place and not very expensive Veg Thali. You find this place on the route, no deviation, it is on the way.Here I almost ended up having the lunch at a private party , [that’s a separate story]. From here it is 100km to the destination. It takes approx 2.5 hours.

Once you cross chikmagalur city and start entering the mountains, the road Is very winding, patchy motorable roads, but beautiful lush greenery. There are certain curves where you have to be careful, coz if the other side does not honk, you will never know until you reach the curve. This happened to me and I almost rammed into white Dzire.

Note:- I think once you cross Holebannur there are no ATMs, Petrol Pumps and Phones until you reach Horanad, so I suggest fill it up in Chickamagalur.

I hate driving in dark, primarily because some idiots "Number is pretty high for my comfort" drive with high-beams without showing any consideration to the opposite drivers.
So I reached Horanad I think by 5:00pm. It is a small quite village. There are multiple Homestay places available, never tried one though. Went straight upto the temple lodging [it is adjusent to temple],
I think I was the last person get the room on that day, atleast that's what I could de-code based on some conversations. The place in-general is kept clean, except I cannot say about the bed-sheets, bed & blankets. However if you do not get any rooms, you can go to the temple office [inside temple] and they will provide beds inside temple veranda. General public bathrooms and toilets are kept clean. Last year
When I visited, I was very pleasantly surprised to find toilets and bathrooms clean.

Stayed there one night and next morning started the journey back after lunch. Journey back was pretty un-eventful till channarayapatna which I reached I think between 5 and 6:00pm. Once it is dark the
Hassan to Bangalore road was difficult. It was raining and it was pitch black, absolutely no light. There are multiple deviations in the road due to construction. Some places you have to drive on left and other time on right. There were times I was not sure if I was on the correct side. First time in my life I drove a large distance with High-Beam, off-course dipping it for the opposte side.

After reaching Nelamangla took that fly over, It was the first time I travelled on that road after the construction was over… totally confused on which exit to take. Anyway.. Reached back home by around 8:30pm
Old 18th November 2010, 20:04   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hey Chetan,
A few photos to go with would have made this interesting. I am sure you have plans to upload a few. I have been to Horanad a few years back and that place is really beautiful. Look forward to seeing a few snaps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms_chetan View Post

Note:- I think once you cross Holebannur there are no ATMs, Petrol Pumps and Phones until you reach Horanad, so I suggest fill it up in Chickamagalur.
Is that BaleHonnur ?
Old 18th November 2010, 21:14   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hi Chetan.....Nice write up.....few pics will help.....could definitely better if you share more on experience of driving though these amazing hills.......at some spots on this stretch you feel you are actually on top of the world!!!

Next time you are in Chikkamagalur, don’t forget to eat the best Benne Masale Dose in the world in Town Canteen!!! The best Butter Masala Dosa - i translated it in English - you can get anywhere in the world!!

yes it should be Bale honnur....

Best Regards.....

Moderator's Note:

1- Please do not copy paste from an external editor like MS Word. That leaves behind formatting tags. Notepad works fine.

2- Please take the time to use proper punctuation as per Team-BHP rules. Avoid...typing...like...this. Thanks.

Last edited by Eddy : 18th November 2010 at 21:17. Reason: Note Inline
Old 19th November 2010, 00:42   #4
BHPian

And in good time you did it. I always take 9.5 - 10 hours ( with breaks ) but I like the stretch upwards of Kottigehara atleast I make sure I do this stretch either one of the way : to or from : and I lose time on the hairpins and on the bad Belur : Mudigere road via Gonibeedu, but anything for those bends.

It's a sight to see ( and hear her at night, mesmerizing! ) the Bhadra crossing.

Last edited by airguitar : 19th November 2010 at 00:47.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Is that BaleHonnur ?
Yes it should be read as Belohonnur.
Nearest ATM, Petrol bunk you can find in KALASA, which is hardly 6kms from Hornadu.
Quote:
Originally Posted by airguitar View Post
I like the stretch upwards of Kottigehara atleast I make sure I do this stretch either one of the way : to or from : and I lose time on the hairpins
Yes the road has been freshly tarred right from Kottigehara - Kalasa. Now it's fantastic to drive on that road.
Old 19th November 2010, 12:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

Chetan, good to know you enjoyed your trip, but without pictures a logue is incomplete

btw most of the Temples in the coast and the surrondings are kept clean, i guess Kollur is an exception.

On the idols, temples & Idols in south canara has a great charm/style which is pretty similar in Kerala.
Old 19th November 2010, 14:05   #7
Team-BHP Support

Nice descriptions! Snaps would really light up the thread. Now I getting ideas about how to do this?

What was the route from CKM to Horandadu? Did you go via Aldur/Koppa or Kottigehara?
Old 19th November 2010, 14:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

What was the route from CKM to Horandadu? Did you go via Aldur/Koppa or Kottigehara?
He has mentioned about Balehonnur, so the route has to be CKM-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-MAGUNDI-HORNADU.

Koppa doesn't come into picture if you are going from CKM to HORNADU or Viceversa.
Old 19th November 2010, 15:10   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
He has mentioned about Balehonnur, so the route has to be CKM-ALDUR-BALEHONNUR-MAGUNDI-HORNADU.

Koppa doesn't come into picture if you are going from CKM to HORNADU or Viceversa.
@Sushrutha,

Sorry Koppa was a typo. I meant Balehonnur. Thanks for pointing that out.
Also how is the road condition from Balehonnur to Kalasa/Horanadu?

I remember Addy going through Mudigere and not CKM (on his way to Kudremukh). Any differences between the routes (one via CKM and other via Belur/Mudigere)
Old 19th November 2010, 15:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Sushrutha,

Sorry Koppa was a typo. I meant Balehonnur. Thanks for pointing that out.
Also how is the road condition from Balehonnur to Kalasa/Horanadu?

I remember Addy going through Mudigere and not CKM (on his way to Kudremukh). Any differences between the routes (one via CKM and other via Belur/Mudigere)
Balehonnur-Kalasa was good sometime back, but I don't know the condition now.
Mudigere-Kalasa is in superb condition as of now. Not much of the difference between the two roads/ distance. Both route are filled with curves :-)
Old 19th November 2010, 15:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Balehonnur-Kalasa was good sometime back, but I don't know the condition now.
Mudigere-Kalasa is in superb condition as of now. Not much of the difference between the two roads/ distance. Both route are filled with curves :-)
Maybe CKM then is a better option. Stay over night and then keep Horanadu/Kalasa as an outing option with CKM as base!
Old 19th November 2010, 16:50   #12
BHPian

Near Kalasa

When in Kalasa there is a place called Dhugappana katte, before the Kalasa temple. There is a tea stall and a small play area for kids on the right when u are driving towards Kalasa.
Take ur car all the way to the top.
I drove my i10 sports with 5 people.
The view from there and the tea at the small hotel down are great.
Later on I will post photos that I took last year.
Old 19th November 2010, 17:23   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
When in Kalasa there is a place called Dhugappana katte, before the Kalasa temple. There is a tea stall and a small play area for kids on the right when u are driving towards Kalasa.
Take ur car all the way to the top.
I drove my i10 sports with 5 people.
The view from there and the tea at the small hotel down are great.
Later on I will post photos that I took last year.
Where exactly is this place ? Driving towards kalasa - from which direction - from kottigehara side ? or from Kudremukh side ?
Old 19th November 2010, 20:00   #14
BHPian

From the Kottigehara side.
From Kudremukh you pass(U can only take right) the main temple toward Kottighehara and its on your left.

My uncle used to work in Kalasa as a excise inspector and I used to visit frequently. There are umpteen places that were good but mostly private owned estates.
Fishing in the river is so much fun and picking fruits around.

I really plan(if wifey agrees) to buy a small peice of land and visit Kalasa for vacations every year.

The main aarathi(at night) in Horanadu temple is very nice to watch with all lamps lighted. And the free food in the temple has a unique taste and its very yummy.

Don't visit the temples during the long weekend and holidays and in December(lotsof ayyapa swamy devotees), you may have to stand in queue for couple hours each for darshan and food.

Also do buy local stuff like coffee powder, spices, kokum juice syrup,... its cheaper and fresh.
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:57   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoNotHorn View Post
The main aarathi(at night) in Horanadu temple is very nice to watch with all lamps lighted. And the free food in the temple has a unique taste and its very yummy.
The MAHA MANGALARATHI, will be there even during day time too, around 1pm.
Here also they lit all the lamps inside the sanctum sanctroum. It's a treat to watch.

DoNotHorn, I did like your post very much

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks