Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th January 2011, 17:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.

கிடைக்கிறது கிடைக்காம போகாது
கிடைக்காதது கிடைக்கவே கிடைக்காது...

In the same line,

What is planned, never happened. Whatever happened, was not planned.

So, what was planned?

Kottayam,
Kumarakonam,
Vagamon,
Megamalai.

And what happened?

Madurai,
Vaigai Dam,
Suruli,
Vellimalai

But, does it matter?

No. All it matters is, how well the vacation went.

Did it?

Yes, it did went very well....

Empty tank, fortunately its Golden Lotus, so still alive
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_meenkshi_temple.jpg

Mahal, No fight for this "chair"
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_mahal.jpg

Vaigai Dam.
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-02_vaigai_dam.jpg

Small Falls in Veerapandi
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_veerapandi.jpg

Streams inside the forest
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_streams.jpg

Estate next to the forest
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-03_estate.jpg

On the way to Vellimalai.

What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-08_return_forest.jpg
Old 5th January 2011, 18:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.

Mahesh,

Looks like you had a fantastic trip. It is also my experience that too much of planning kills the excitment and fun. Unplanned and unexpected brings lots of surprise value.

nice teaser, look forward to read of the new destinations (except Madurai) i have not heard of .
Old 5th January 2011, 19:45   #3
BHPian

The pictures look crystal clear. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. We are going to have a treat of the pictures that you might have clicked during your vacation. Come on... post them. Waiting to see!

The falls in Veerapandi reminds me of many tamil cinemas. Is that the place where they film?

Last edited by joe1980 : 5th January 2011 at 19:46.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Mahesh,

Looks like you had a fantastic trip. It is also my experience that too much of planning kills the excitment and fun. Unplanned and unexpected brings lots of surprise value.

nice teaser, look forward to read of the new destinations (except Madurai) i have not heard of .
Thanks Bond! You are right about the surprises a unplanned trip brings in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
The pictures look crystal clear. Looks like you had a wonderful vacation. We are going to have a treat of the pictures that you might have clicked during your vacation. Come on... post them. Waiting to see!

The falls in Veerapandi reminds me of many tamil cinemas. Is that the place where they film?
Thanks Sir.

I think the Tamil films showing such falls are either taken in kumbakarai falls??, or Balmuri falls in Mysore.
Old 5th January 2011, 21:52   #5
BHPian

கிடைக்கிறது கிடைக்காம போகாது
கிடைக்காதது கிடைக்கவே கிடைக்காது...Excellent eye catching lines and its very true.

And coming back to pics, each photo talks about some a spot and you have made it very well. Black border looks attractive and bright. I liked the Vaigai dam photo, it was shot from a strange angle and entire dam comes in one single picture. was it shot from different angle or a PS job?? Please post some more pics to this thread.

BTW, what camera was that??
Old 5th January 2011, 22:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
And coming back to pics, each photo talks about some a spot and you have made it very well. Black border looks attractive and bright. I liked the Vaigai dam photo, it was shot from a strange angle and entire dam comes in one single picture. was it shot from different angle or a PS job?? Please post some more pics to this thread.
Thanks.

Most of the panorama here was basically different shots "stitched" together. I use AutoStitch application. Very easy to use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camchennai View Post
BTW, what camera was that??
My humble Canon IXY60.
Old 6th January 2011, 10:16   #7
Senior - BHPian

It all started in November, when we were thinking of what to do in the long vacation coming up during the year end. Due to my Sunday classes and other official travel, I have not taken much vacation during the year and hence had like 12 days to be cleared.

Applied for vacation, and the place in my mind was Vagamon & Valparai. [blame it on Lalu's effect]

Then in the beginning of December started calling hotels for booking and could not manage. Thanks to srikanth for the pointers. But no luck.

Then came up a function to be attended in Kottayam on Dec 26th. So, the plan was altered to Kottayam, Vagamon and surrounding areas.

Suddenly my in-law calls for a get together around Christmas time. So, all his brothers family and our family decided to meet up in Megamalai [near Cumbum] and spent couple of days.

Stay should not be a problem since my sister stays in Cumbum. So, combined all these visits together.

Although I got vacation for 2 weeks, cant really start before 23rd due to kids schools.

So, the route planned was

Bangalore - Salem - Cumbum - Kottayam - Kumarakonam - Vagamon - Cumbum - Megamalai - Cumbum - Chennai - Bangalore

And then we get a call from Madurai about a cousin not feeling well. So, we join Madurai to the itenery.

But we never thought this one addition will change to such an extent that the whole route is altered completely.

Finally this is the route we took in the vacation.
What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_route.jpg
Old 6th January 2011, 12:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

You drive all around the place, and puts the blame to me
A MacD visit is now essential!

Waiting for the story.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by laluks View Post
You drive all around the place, and puts the blame to me
Ok, lets change the word from "blame" to "credit"

Quote:
A MacD visit is now essential!
Check your PM.

December 22, 2010.

Packed all luggage. Loaded the car, and headed to my Kid school. Yes, they had parent - teacher meeting on that day and hence went early at 9AM, even-though the timing allotted to us was around 12pm.

There was a pleasant surprise waiting for us. They were just inaugurating the Christmas carnival and asked my Kids to cut the ribbon

Kids were happy and you should see the smile in their face. Completed the meeting and were back to my house by 10am.

Sharp 10:30am left the house and started our journey. Filled Petrol in Shell on varthur road. [Rs.63.75 :( ]

Target was to be in Madurai before it gets dark. Luckily there was not much traffic till we hit the Krishnagiri. After crossing the bridge towards Salem on NH7, we were crossing the ghat sections.

I see so many triple-speed-breakers in every turn. I was cursing the speed breakers. Infact, they had marking mentioned like the one we see in hills for hair pin bend. yes, it was marked like 1/10...

Few passed and then I see an accident. This made me to know the reason for so many breakers there.

Inspite of these speed breakers and signs, we saw as many as 3 accidents within 1KM.

First it was a long trail truck, which went straight into the bushes and hanging.

Second was one more truck, with driver side nothing.

Third it was a Manza. Not much damage but was ready to be towed.

There was another surprise waiting when we reached the Toppur toll gate. The toll charges was raised from previous Rs48 to Rs66. Infact, till Madurai all tolls was almost on the other side of Rs50.

Checked with the toll person, and he smiled and said it was raised about 6 months ago. Too bad.

I was almost about to enter Salem, I get a call from one of the BIL asking us to take a detour into Salem. He stays in Salem and want to meet for the lunch. And since it was around 1pm, and anyway I need to stop for lunch, agreed to meet.

Got into the Sarada collage road and the hotel he mentioned was near the Ramakrishna Mission center. Had a very good lunch, spend sometime in his house, and started again around 3:30pm.

Till Karur it was a pleasant drive. but after that, till Dindigul I see too much of opposite traffic in our lanes. And that too, on the extreme right. It was a nightmare to overtake.

Mentioned this at the toll too but I know, its of no use.

After crossing Vadipatti, just before the exit to Madurai, the roads are very bad. Infact, no roads at all. And here, i was suppose to take the left to go through Paravai. But by mistake i took the right, and continued straight towards Kanyakumari route.

Then I noticed the Samayanallur and so came back and joined the correct road.

By the time I reached the in-laws house, it was almost 7pm.

Route : Bangalore - Krishnagiri - Salem - Karur - Dindigul - Madurai.

Sorry, no pictures on the way. Ya, surprising, but true. Lol...

Contd...

Last edited by mjothi : 6th January 2011 at 13:38.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:43   #10
Senior - BHPian

That is a long trip Sir. Good that you enjoyed, keep those pictures coming. Also share the stay details at Vellimalai. Is there any other option to stay in Megamalai apart from the Woodbriar Estate.
Old 6th January 2011, 13:48   #11
Team-BHP Support

You mentioned the hills to be near Cambam, which we regularly cross on our way to Kerala. However isnt that area mostly plains?
Old 6th January 2011, 14:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Replied to the PM.

Last November I drove down to Cumbum in search of that tamarind (kudam puli) that is used in Kerala Red Fish Curries. But ended up in some wineyards and finally at Suruli falls.

I was amazed to see that Cumbum is an agricultural town, with fresh crops all around the place - or is it that I got lost somewhere enjoying the greens?
Old 6th January 2011, 14:33   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pypkmsrikanth View Post
That is a long trip Sir. Good that you enjoyed, keep those pictures coming. Also share the stay details at Vellimalai. Is there any other option to stay in Megamalai apart from the Woodbriar Estate.
No sir. i did not visit Megamalai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
You mentioned the hills to be near Cambam, which we regularly cross on our way to Kerala. However isnt that area mostly plains?
The one you mention is towards Kumily.

The hills I went is on the other side of Megamalai. The entry point is from Theni side. The below is the geotag of the picture I took in the forest. Ofcourse, the red line inside the forest is not that straight line

What is planned, never happened. What ever happened, was not planned.-01_vellimalai.jpg
Old 6th January 2011, 14:45   #14
BHPian

Mjothi,

Great teaser ! Great pictures. Especially the one with the dam.

I feel like, am reading one more travelogue of Star', i mean the "BOND" in the forum.

Very similar way of getting guys hooked to the thread.

Seems like its going to be a treat of pictures.

Keep posting.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:10   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Replied to the PM.

Last November I drove down to Cumbum in search of that tamarind (kudam puli) that is used in Kerala Red Fish Curries. But ended up in some wineyards and finally at Suruli falls.

I was amazed to see that Cumbum is an agricultural town, with fresh crops all around the place - or is it that I got lost somewhere enjoying the greens?
yes those area is famous for those wineyards. The water from Suruli is keeping these place green almost all through the years.

When you are going from KKPatti to Suruli falls, take any left and you will end up at the foot hills of Megamalai. Lovely locations. But most are private farms.

I love the route to Suruli more than the Suruli falls itself. It use to be a great place once. But not anymore. With so many tourist using it as bathroom, I dont feel like getting into the water of late there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
Mjothi,

Great teaser ! Great pictures. Especially the one with the dam.

I feel like, am reading one more travelogue of Star', i mean the "BOND" in the forum.

Very similar way of getting guys hooked to the thread.

Seems like its going to be a treat of pictures.

Keep posting.
Thanks for the comment.

Don't compare this Micro with starMegaBond

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks