Team-BHP > Travelogues
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2011, 13:33   #46
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisa

After the havalies, we headed to Sam. it around 45kms from city.
We started off by 3.30 pm. it took around 1 hrs to reach Sam. We had to a entry tax of Rs 30/- at entry. Jaisalmer - Sam can be easily done in 30 - 40 minutes. There is a good traffic movement to sam post noon.

Midway to sam we saw some tourist enjoying jeep towed parasailing. Stopped around 10 minutes to see the activity.

Reached Sam by 4.30 pm. Was already crowded. Lots of tourist were already travelling on camels to dune tops. Sam is now fully commercialsed. shots, hotels, tents. Lot of dirts around and on the dunes.

Pana shots taken enroute to sam.

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-20110107155241.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-20110107155406.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_9762.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_9760.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0286.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_9763.jpg
Old 17th January 2011, 15:09   #47
BHPian

Re: Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisa

Hello sir,

We did the mistake of not following the tracks and hence, the tyre got stuck. Anyways, it was a really good experience. The new pics posted by you are really good.
Old 17th January 2011, 18:25   #48
BHPian

Hello V&V,

I had done the Delhi- Jaisalmer stretch last year. Since Sam was packed by the time we reached (i.e. around 5 pm). So we kept on driving and around 6 kms from Sam, we came across beautiful untouched dunes. There was nobody around and we sat there till sunset.
Later, we returned and went out for a night safari on the camels. Must say it was a great experience.

PS. Awesome panorama shots. Is it from Canon?

Best,
Tapish
Old 18th January 2011, 07:22   #49
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sami316 View Post
Hello sir,

We did the mistake of not following the tracks and hence, the tyre got stuck. Anyways, it was a really good experience. The new pics posted by you are really good.
Thanks sami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapish View Post
Hello V&V,

I had done the Delhi- Jaisalmer stretch last year. Since Sam was packed by the time we reached (i.e. around 5 pm). So we kept on driving and around 6 kms from Sam, we came across beautiful untouched dunes. There was nobody around and we sat there till sunset.
Later, we returned and went out for a night safari on the camels. Must say it was a great experience.
PS. Awesome panorama shots. Is it from Canon?

Best,
Tapish
Thanks tapish. I was using both for panas. Low light condition i was using N8 as it has f2.8 and was easy to use under low light condition.

We too did the same. Seeing the crowd we drive 3-4kms ahead of Sam. Kids wanted to have camel drive, so we came back and negotiated a camel cart. it started with Rs 300 to drop to nearby dues and for full engagement till sunset with extended drive around wantd Rs 2500. Negotiated hard and finally closed the deal for Rs 900/-. I was nice to be away from the crowded dues. Kids enjoyed thoroughly. Some more shots from dunes.

Camel cart , Camel - Raja Hindustani

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0371.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0320.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-20110107174206.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0291.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0295.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0296.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_9766.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_9768.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0312.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0318.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 18th January 2011 at 07:25.
Old 18th January 2011, 09:02   #50
v&v
Senior - BHPian

We thoroughly enjoyed the Sam and the cart ride plus the sun set for 2.5 hrs. Buy 6.30 pm we are back.
Summary of Sam - is do not take a deal at Jaisalmer. it will be very expensive instead come little early say 4 pm and stuck a deal here. Even if you wanna stay at sam, there are plenty of options. One more observation we saw lot of Jeeps bringing Foreign tourist and others too. Coming in day is OK but going back on an open jeep will be chilly at nights especially at with kids.

In the mean time we had new development as we were planning to stay at Sam for the night and planned to visit my classmate at Pokhran on 8th morning and by evening drive to Binkaner and stay with my another classmate at AF Station Nal. Now the plan changed to drive from Sam to Pokhran and attend a party and night stay with him. So we started from Sam by 6.50 and were are Pokhran by 8.10 pm. it was chilly there. But throughly enjoyed the party.

Some more shots of sam

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0315.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0328.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0301.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0330.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0332.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0333.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0365.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0367.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 18th January 2011 at 09:07.
Old 18th January 2011, 16:54   #51
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Next day morning we left by 11.30 am from pokhran. Since the fog condition was bad in delhi we decided to drive as much as possible instead of halting at bikaner. Called my buddy and informed him about change of plan.

NH15 is bliss to drive. We hit bikaner by 2 pm and spent around half any with my friend and continued our journey back to Delhi.

Route planned a shorter one -
POKHRAN - BIKANER - FATEHPUR - MANDAWA - JHUNJHUNU - CHIDAWA - LOHRU - DADRI - JHAJJAR - BAHADURGARH - PERAGRAHI - VASANT KUNJ.

Road upto FATHEPUR is good. After fathepur we took internal road via mandawa to Jhunjhunu. Roads at times were bad and narrow. Reached Jhunjhunu by 6.30 pm. Lohru by 8pm and Dadri by 9.30 pm. After dadri fog came to play were progress was slow. Reached delhi by 11.30 pm.

The only advantage of this route is shot by 110 kms. Roads is average with occasional bad patch.

This bring the to an end of log.
Total distance traveled - 1910 kms. 120 L of fuel consumed.

Last few pana of sam.
Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-20110107174343.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-20110107180459.jpg

Yet another Rajasthan trip - Sambhar lake, Ajmer, Pushkar, Osian (Jodhpur), Jaisalmer-img_0287.jpg

Last edited by v&v : 18th January 2011 at 16:56.
Old 18th January 2011, 17:16   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Lovely shots from Sam.

While the route you took is smaller I find it easier to continue on NH15 and take either of Chomu-Shapura or Jaipur-Chandwaji bye-pass to NH8. This is much faster and entry in to Delhi from West to South would have also been avoided. JFYI another route is Jhunjhunu-Mahendargarh-Rewari-NH8 but is best avoided.
Old 18th January 2011, 18:59   #53
BHPian

The sand dunes shots are cool mate. How I wish I'd (again) gone to Jaisalmer instead of Bikaner for the desert safari. Found no sandy sand dunes in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
While the route you took is smaller I find it easier to continue on NH15 and take either of Chomu-Shapura or Jaipur-Chandwaji bye-pass to NH8. This is much faster and entry in to Delhi from West to South would have also been avoided. JFYI another route is Jhunjhunu-Mahendargarh-Rewari-NH8 but is best avoided.
How about Fatehpur - Sikar - Kotputli - NH8? I took this route on my drive to Bikaner and found it excellent.
Old 18th January 2011, 19:45   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

@lordofgondor: About 20 kms of single lane track - you need to get off the road whenever opposing truck or bus comes.
Old 19th January 2011, 07:27   #55
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Lovely shots from Sam.

Thanks sudev. My only concern not taking the chomu- chandwaji route was post nimrana fog issue would have been severe with high truckers density the progress would have been even slower.

I too agree the route taken by me can be avoided in case of cars. Suvs can do this route and its almost deserted after 6 pm. There was almost no traffic till Jhajjar. After that only truckers appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
The sand dunes shots are cool mate. How I wish I'd (again) gone to Jaisalmer instead of Bikaner for the desert safari. Found no sandy sand dunes in there.
How about Fatehpur - Sikar - Kotputli - NH8? I took this route on my drive to Bikaner and found it excellent.
thanks lordofgondor, From Bikaner after karni mata temple if you go ahead you can find dunes. i will just check an update on this.

Last edited by v&v : 19th January 2011 at 07:29.
Old 19th January 2011, 08:05   #56
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
thanks lordofgondor, From Bikaner after karni mata temple if you go ahead you can find dunes. i will just check an update on this.
To find dunes near Bikaner go north from Naurangdesar ~30kms from Bikaner on NH11 towards Jaipur. The Desert Festival is held in this area.
Old 19th January 2011, 12:43   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
To find dunes near Bikaner go north from Naurangdesar ~30kms from Bikaner on NH11 towards Jaipur. The Desert Festival is held in this area.
How I wish I'd taken counsel before heading there, came back so very disappointed.

Anyways, thanks for the great sand dunes shot v&v. Guess I'll enjoy the dunes looking at them.

Sudev sir, does someone arrange night safaris in Naurangdesar?
Old 19th January 2011, 13:05   #58
Distinguished - BHPian

There is some one who does desert camp stays near about. Am sure they would be doing night safari's too.

Look care fully for a board on the left hand coming out of Bikaner. A few kms after bye pass round about on NH11.
Old 19th January 2011, 17:11   #59
BHPian

Nice pics. I mostly went through the logs via the pics

Quote:
Total distance traveled - 1910 kms. 120 L of fuel consumed.
Now this means a FE of about 15.92 kmpl! I thought Safaris give about 13-14kmpl on highways. Nearly 16 kmpl sounds astounding!
Old 19th January 2011, 17:57   #60
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordofgondor View Post
How I wish I'd taken counsel before heading there, came back so very disappointed.

Anyways, thanks for the great sand dunes shot v&v. Guess I'll enjoy the dunes looking at them.
lordofgondor, there is always a next time. Rajasthan roads are amazing and addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsk View Post
Nice pics. I mostly went through the logs via the pics
Now this means a FE of about 15.92 kmpl! I thought Safaris give about 13-14kmpl on highways. Nearly 16 kmpl sounds astounding!
Thanks drsk. I had been getting 15+ on most of my trips. My speed range of driving is consistently between 100 - 110 kms and keeping a rpm of 2200 to 2500 rpm. My safari has been giving max average on these ranges.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks