Old 21st January 2011, 23:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run To Raan Of Katch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragul View Post
Some good pics there!

Why? Are water bottles not allowed?

Cheers
Nothing beyond that point, they even pat you down to ensure you don't carry under the coat.

This is an eco friendly place, no plastic, you can't throw anything here. I guess that would ensure you'd not spend too much time either here or leg it across to Pakistan

@Skartik: Thanks. This is the best time, before it heats up.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 21st January 2011 at 23:02.
Old 21st January 2011, 23:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Spectacular terrain, never expected something like this in the Rann!

Any idea about timings at the BSF check post? Can anyone get it through the day?
Does the permit also cover Dholavira since you have to go via Khavada?

I read in harsha's TL that he took some BSF permission at Bhuj town itself? Was it for the same trip?

It can be foolhardy and treacherous to drive in the sand there!
Old 22nd January 2011, 00:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

The BSF permits at the place where we took it was for White Desert, Khavda, Kala Dungra, Dholavira permits are not given form there. Going to Dholavira through Khavda ( I think it's not permited) is a death wish, all taxis go through Rapar.

I think they open up around 9 am till 6 pm and issue permits, no idea about what permit Harsh took in Bhuj.

Talk to Hotel Prince, they give authentic information about timings, permits etc., Alternatively, you can visit Aina Mahal, inside they have a tourist desk, they arrange package tours, taxis etc., at govennment rates., talked to a couple of Foreigners at Prince, they said the Aina Mahal desk is pretty good, need to validate that.

Will try to look up Aina Mahal's number, you can talk to them on phone and get the low down.

--Ramky

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
Spectacular terrain, never expected something like this in the Rann!

Any idea about timings at the BSF check post? Can anyone get it through the day?

I read in harsha's TL that he took some BSF permission at Bhuj town itself? Was it for the same trip?

It can be foolhardy and treacherous to drive in the sand there!
Old 22nd January 2011, 08:07   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvkumar View Post
While most of the maps show connect between Khvda/Bhirnadiara to Dholovira there is none. The actual taril is slushy and not doable unless it is in peak summers.

To go to Dholovira use Bachau-Rapar-Dholovira route. Approaching it from south and esat rather than west from Khavda/Bhirandiara which are north of Bhuj.

Harsha got permit also for the area beyond Nalia to get to the western most tip of Gujrat. Lakhpat and Narayan Sarovar at the end of NH8A

Last edited by sudev : 22nd January 2011 at 08:11.
Old 22nd January 2011, 09:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
While most of the maps show connect between Khvda/Bhirnadiara to Dholovira there is none. The actual taril is slushy and not doable unless it is in peak summers.

Harsha got permit also for the area beyond Nalia to get to the western most tip of Gujrat. Lakhpat and Narayan Sarovar at the end of NH8A
Sudev is right. My primary research was with drivers of fleet owners who take our foreign visitors to Katch; they told me nobody does Khavda -Dholavira.

They told me no permits to Narayan Sarovar, Koteswar, Lakhpat, so I took none. I went to Koteswar, Narayan Sarovar, no problems. At Koteswar, where the land juts out to sea there's another small temple, I parked the car near there, BSF cowk there, they objected to the parking. After talking to him for 5 minutes, he allowed till the temple visit was over.

------
Old 22nd January 2011, 17:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

16-01-2011: Today we go out of the hotel in record time, 0930 AM (record for the Bhuj trip), we had to cover long distance, lots more places to see and unknown roads, try as I might my taxi sources did not give concrete details.

The GPS was True North, got us out towars Nakatrana; SH42 is pretty good most of the way. The toll road is super smooth with good signages will Nakatrana and the 30 kms jinx hits roads of these parts. From Nakatrana town to Dayapar we could not exceed 40-50 KMPH, some sections would leave you shaken and stirred. We cross, Mankua, Gesalpur, Devpar, Nakatrana, Ravpar, Matha No Math, Dayapar, Left turn to Koteswar and in the next 40 Kms you're at Koteswar. By 145 PM we were at Koteswar, my wife was very happy at the Darshan of her favorite God, the crowd at the temple was thin, we sat on the rampart at the rear of the temple, staring out to sea, the tide was way out and the muddy beach visible. You can sit and spend hours watching the tide and the wind playing on the temple flagstaff, we also shoot some interesting photos.

Mythologically, Koteshwar temple is connected to Ravana who was blessby Lord Shiva who gifted a Shivaling of supernatural powers. In his haste Ravana dropped it and shattered into a million pieces; Ravana picked the wrong one, the original stayed back still in the temple.

There's another small temple at the end of the land near the BSF check post, don't know it's name. This is a piece that juts out to sea, the western most part of India. When I parked near this land's end, a BSF Jawan popped out of the tent and told us to scram ASAP, he said, parking not allowed. I requested him to allow us till my family visits the temple and he OKed it, he heard us talking in Tamil, the BSF Jawan is from Tamil Nadu and we struck a conversation. He pointed and said, there you see Kori Creek, there's another called Sir Creek which is disputed between India and Pakistan. He said security has been beefed up from December and they have intelligence about infiltrators coming over!!! Well, he was doing his duty, we bid good bye to him after a couple of shots.
Attached Thumbnails
Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5537.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5544.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5548.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5553.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5563.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5575.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5574.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5595.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5597.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5598.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5605.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5609.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5617.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 22nd January 2011 at 17:22.
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:20   #23
Senior - BHPian

Around lunch time, after a little search we found Thoran Restaurant, Gujrat's own tourism complex. A couple of functional rooms, more being built, the restaurant turned out to be Manna from Heaven, basic good thali, we were thankful to the Lord for what he gave at such a place during lunch time. That finished, we stopped for the photo stop and drove back towards Lakhpath.

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5621.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5638.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5636.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5683.jpg

Run To Raan Of Katch-img_5693.jpg

I was in a mood for the drive to Lakhpath buy my co-passengers were in no mood for another chakkar, they said let's head back to Bhuj. I am a very strong willed person and they won

We retraced the route and reached Bhuj around 6. Wife and Kids said they're going to the market, I groaned "not again". Being strong willed themselves, they left anyway and I settled down with joy with Woodhouse. At aroung 8 PM they trooped back with another bundle of purchases and I reached for an antacid, remembered the old saying, "man proposes, wife disposes"!! That was the last night in town, we watched another movie and went to bed late.

=======

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd January 2011 at 10:23.
Old 23rd January 2011, 11:48   #24
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Nice photos ramkya1. Very informative log. Hooked to it.

Didnt know so much to see around . One week trip when ever our next trip to mumbai/blr for sure. In fact one of my class mate was posted as CO at AF station Kutch. He had calling me so many time to visit kutch, couldn't materialised.
Old 23rd January 2011, 12:36   #25
BHPian

Nice log ramkya. Thanks for sharing.
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful trip log. Lots of refreshed memories now.
I did not require permits for Narayan sarover etc either.

I too had tried to go to Dholavira via Khavda but was turned around.
Then I drove through the interiors and entered the Rann via Chobari and after hitting the Rann drove in straight for about 7 kns before the trail started to get sticky and soft, that too in end of March. Finally went via Rapar.

Nice pics.
Thanks.

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 23rd January 2011 at 14:56.
Old 23rd January 2011, 18:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

@Jay: Thanks. Your T Log was an eye opener, and your maps came in handy, highly informational which I used.

@ abkaree: Thanks friend.

@ v&v: Thanks. I'd say it needs a full week to complete, there's so much to see.

We thought the last day, 17th would be so dull, just a vist to Aaina Mahal and whizz off to Ahmedabad. How wrong we were, Aaina Mahal is a treasure trove beyond imagination, I've shot lots of photos of the glass paintings. I've seen many palaces, gallaries etc., but this one was a surprise, coming up next.

-------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Wonderful trip log. Lots of refreshed memories now.
I did not require permits for Narayan sarover etc either.

I too had tried to go to Dholavira via Khavda but was turned around.
Then I drove through the interiors and entered the Rann via Chobari and after hitting the Rann drove in straight for about 7 kns before the trail started to get sticky and soft, that too in end of March. Finally went via Rapar.

Nice pics.
Thanks.

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd January 2011 at 18:24.
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:47   #28
Senior - BHPian

Re: Run To Raan Of Katch - Raid de Wallet.

Raid de Wallet: Sample pictures of the Katch specific cloths bought there. All these dress materials are hand made, be it needle work, vegetable paint work, morror work or bandni. The last one is for a wall hanging to be put inside a glass frame.

Please spare my heart and don't ask me the price...... not again, the ladies would be able to guess. Believe me, these pieces would be much more expensive once they crosses Katch border.

====
Attached Thumbnails
Run To Raan Of Katch-1.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-4.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-2.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-3.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-5.jpg  

Run To Raan Of Katch-6.jpg  

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd January 2011 at 19:48.
Old 23rd January 2011, 20:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post

To go to Dholovira use Bachau-Rapar-Dholovira route. Approaching it from south and esat rather than west from Khavda/Bhirandiara which are north of Bhuj.

Thanks for the info, sudev.
But going to Koteshwar does not require permit, have been there twice without an restrictions, both on the Mandvi-Narayan Sarovar route as well as the Bhuj-Nakratana-Narayan Sarovar routes.
Old 23rd January 2011, 22:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Here's one of our favorite videos from the drive The road was great, the Scorp was cruizing great, all of us were enjoying a selected CD, the 40 kms drive turned out be memorable in many ways.

To enjoy the drive, I'd recommend that you make it full screen, plug in your headphone and try... the effort would be worth it.

My son from the rear seat was shooting right over my shoulder, did a good job, I'd say. I wouldn't want any trigger happy person/s shipping away this one

====

Last edited by ramkya1 : 23rd January 2011 at 22:34.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks