Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2006, 16:09   #16
BANNED

Tell us what car you have..@Rehaan : I recently bought a second hand Omni (2000 model) to learn driving for all my family members (which includes some oldies); plans to use it for 2-3 years and after that graduate to some higher models. Tell us what your budget is...Budget is not of much a issue and I'm ready to spend for the best radial that's suitable for Omni.What your driving style is..None of them are rash drivers.What kind of roads you drive on...Both rural & urban terrains.and what you want from a tyre the most (eg. high speed stability, comfort, braking, wet performance, insane grip levels, long life, etc)The most important needs are high speed stability & braking.
Old 1st February 2006, 16:39   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
More like the suspension eats up the radials in the sumo's case!!! Its a common problem, strange uneven (kinda jagged) wear.
Yes, but not with the newer Sumos/victas these days.

Even my '97 Sumo doesn't eat tyres since i maintain it well. Alignment every 5000 kms, Balancing every 10000kms.Plus, suspension check every 20,000 kms. Call it high maintenance, but I believe in"Prevention is better than cure".
Old 1st February 2006, 16:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

Mithun, I suggest u get MRF ZVTS radials for ur Omni.It shouldn't cost more than 2k per tyre.
Old 18th February 2006, 15:59   #19
BANNED

Why there is no Radials for 2-Wheelers ?

Everyone knows that radial tyres are new technology. They provide better grip, better ride comfort, better puncture resistance, etc..

And the only con associated with radials is that they cannot be re-treaded but that's not a matter of concern for 2-Wheelers since we've the habit of throwing away our old tyres. And the bikers have to gratify themselves with some tubeless/soft compounded rubbers.

So why there is no Radials for 2-Wheelers yet ? Is it because of the pricing factor or due to any technological limitations ?
Old 18th February 2006, 17:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
So why there is no Radials for 2-Wheelers yet ? Is it because of the pricing factor or due to any technological limitations ?
Pirelli, Bridgestone, FKR and Barracuda have tubeless tires for bikes,dude!
Also almost upmarket bikes in the indian market like the Pulsar and Karizma's sport radial construction tires!!! Dunlop Geocruiser[100/90]
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:05   #21
BANNED

Why does the radial tyres always look under-inflated ?
Old 3rd March 2006, 16:46   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Why does the radial tyres always look under-inflated ?
Maybe you're looking at under-inflated tires!!!

On a serious note, Due to the construction of the sidewall, which is shorter and more curved they tend to look like they are under-inflated!!
Old 3rd March 2006, 22:54   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I recently bought a second hand Omni (2000 model) to learn driving for all my family members (which includes some oldies); plans to use it for 2-3 years and after that graduate to some higher models.
.Budget is not of much a issue and I'm ready to spend for the best radial that's suitable for Omni.
.None of them are rash drivers.
..Both rural & urban terrains
The most important needs are high speed stability & braking.
Hi Mithun,

Sorry i missed your reply earlier.

So from what you say, you have a pretty wide choice of tyres.
I would suggest tubeless tyres (and if possible get the insides of your steel wheels coated with some anti-corrosive before putting on the tubeless tyres)
Sticking with the well known brands is probably your best bet. I'm a big michelin fan, the Bridgestone GIII seem to be a popular tyre too.

Check this link out TBHP: Which is the best tyre.

The bridgestone GIII (G3) seems to be the current favourite. Followed by the Eagle F1 GSD3 (which is too high performance for your omni needs and wont fit less than a 15" wheel anyway).. and then, the Michelin certis, which i would reccomend.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 3rd March 2006 at 22:57.
Old 3rd March 2006, 23:52   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous
Yes, but not with the newer Sumos/victas these days.

Even my '97 Sumo doesn't eat tyres
Strange, because i have the problem even on the new sumos (donno about the victa though), the EZ+ TC or whatever it was called! No amount of aligntment and balancing helped...

cya
R
Old 4th March 2006, 00:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Strange, because i have the problem even on the new sumos (donno about the victa though), the EZ+ TC or whatever it was called! No amount of aligntment and balancing helped...
Its in the genes ,bro.
Sadly, we have to live with it. :(
Old 29th March 2006, 05:03   #26
BANNED

I've heard that Tubed Radial tyres needs to be checked for tyre pressure more often than the normal tyres or tubeless tyres since it will lose air more frequently.

Is it a fact or a myth ?
Old 3rd April 2006, 09:35   #27
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I've heard that Tubed Radial tyres needs to be checked for tyre pressure more often than the normal tyres or tubeless tyres since it will lose air more frequently.

Is it a fact or a myth ?
I dont know whether it is a fact or a myth, and would probably depend on the quality of tubes used.
Regardless of that, it will be such a tiny difference that it shouldnt be considered, especially since you should be checking your tire pressure regularly!

cya
R
Old 22nd February 2008, 17:19   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Everyone knows that radial tyres are new technology. They provide better grip, better ride comfort, better puncture resistance, etc..

And the only con associated with radials is that they cannot be re-treaded but that's not a matter of concern for 2-Wheelers since we've the habit of throwing away our old tyres. And the bikers have to gratify themselves with some tubeless/soft compounded rubbers.

there are radials for two wheelers, all the zappers from the mrf, and other brands are radials and there are tubeless ones avaliable too! the pulsars Zmas, cbzs and other bikes have been coming with radials for a long time now!

well as explained the side wall strength of the bias ply are much stronger and they can have a re-thread done these two pro of bias ply over radials!
and as the radials have many!
Old 1st November 2008, 14:41   #29

radial tyre - query

Have a basic query..what does a radial tyre mean?

The front tyre of my Alto looks a little bulging at the bottom as if there is less air in the tyre. However when I checked the Air pressure in the morning hours it was at 30 psi.
The person at the petrol pump who checked the air pressure said that this slight bulge or whatever is because of design of radial tyres.
Thx.
Old 1st November 2008, 19:45   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by patkim View Post
Have a basic query..what does a radial tyre mean?

The front tyre of my Alto looks a little bulging at the bottom as if there is less air in the tyre. However when I checked the Air pressure in the morning hours it was at 30 psi.
The person at the petrol pump who checked the air pressure said that this slight bulge or whatever is because of design of radial tyres.
Thx.
Radial tyre is basically a term used to define a particular kind of built of a tyre, which is essentially the use of textile or steel mesh (steel belted radial) in the underlying layers of the tyre. This also gives the sidewalls good felxibility and the radial tyre excellent road holding capabilities and a longer life as compared to the cross-ply tyre. It was developed by Michelin in 1946.

Now coming to your query on bulge, thats because of the weight of the engine in the front, you can see the sidewall bulge. If you swap the front tyre with the rear one, the rear one(now in front) will also show the same.

Last edited by dadu : 1st November 2008 at 19:50.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks