Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2011, 04:17   #1
BHPian

Tubeless tyre safety after punctures.

Hi Guys,
I drive a Skoda VRS ( 240 bhp) which has Michelin PP2 225 tyres. I travel on the Mumbai Pune express way often and touch 180-200 kmph on a good day. I have had two punctures, one in each tyre and have got them repaired from Premjis who is a very reputed tyre dealer at Mahim.
How safe are the tyres after this punctures to travel at high speeds. Is it risky and would it be prudent to replace the tyres. The tyres have about 7000 kms on them. There is absolutely no wall damage, both punctures were on the running surfaces due to nails .After 7000 kms tyre tread depth is adequate as undue wear if at all is due to some wheel spins which are unavoidable when you are pushing this car. I have nitrogen in the tyres and there is negligible pressure loss over an extended period of time. The wheels were balanced and rotated after the last puncture repair.
Does anybody have any experience as regards to this. Any expert opinions will be much appreciated.

Cheers
FZ

safe drives
Old 16th July 2011, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tubeless tyre safety after punctures.

They are very safe, i have myself driven my Baleno with Tubeless for the last 6 years and the earlier tyre had decent number of punchers and they kept going on-and-on. Finally after 42k i decided to replace all of them with Bridgestones. I have myself touched speeds upto 140 and they were fine. Really cant comment if they are good till speeds of 200.

Looking at it the other way, a Tyre life is close to 40k (Depending on brand, purpose and places its driven on) it would be foolish to expect "0" punchers in close to 40k distance covered hence surely it should be safe.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:06   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Zappa View Post
How safe are the tyres after this punctures to travel at high speeds.
It depends on the method used for repairing the puncture. Tubeless tyres are repaired using mainly three methods.
  • Plug Method
  • Filler Method
  • Patch method.
In the plug method, a rubber plug is inserted in the puncture. In the filler method, a filler compound is used to fill the puncture. This is the commonly used technique. In the patch method, like olden cycle tube days, a patch is applied on the inner surface of the tyre.

Out of which, the Plug method and Filler method are perfectly safe. Where as patch method is not that safe, as some parts of the damage is still exposed and may wear out.

A Pictorial representation of filler method: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-puncture.html.

So, how was your tyre repaired?
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 13:12   #4
Team-BHP Support

Frank I don't think it should be a problem. I have 225 Yokos on my Accord and after punctures I've pushed it to the speeds you are talking about on a regular basis, without any issues.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

I have recently got my spare tubeless tyre repaired for puncture from Premjis Thane and costed me 100/-. The puncture unfortunately have been on a the same tyre which earlier had punctures twice. Although this is kept as spare but still sometime feel that I should exchage the tyre for a brand new one. The present make is Michelin.

Would this still be safe to ride on the spare at 120=140 speeds.
Old 16th July 2011, 13:28   #6
BHPian

Thanks guys for the responses..
@akshay1234: You have already been up that road and no issues..so that means I do not have to replace the tyres, sets one thinking what if when you get to 200 plus kmph and the tyre punctures?

cheers
FZ

Last edited by manson : 16th July 2011 at 16:54.
Old 16th July 2011, 14:36   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
I have recently got my spare tubeless tyre repaired for puncture from Premjis Thane and costed me 100/-. The puncture unfortunately have been on a the same tyre which earlier had punctures twice. Although this is kept as spare but still sometime feel that I should exchage the tyre for a brand new one. The present make is Michelin.

Would this still be safe to ride on the spare at 120=140 speeds.
Three punctures shouldn't be a problem. Although i do not remember correctly but surely i had more than 6 punctures on the tyres before they went bald and i decided to replace them. Although it does not matter from tubeless tyres prospective but my earlier tyres were Goodyear.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 15:37   #8
BHPian

@dhanushs, the punctures were repaired by the filler method ..so I will still go on the same tyres. Thanks a lot for the info, the link really showed the procedure in detail. Given the fact that I am a Chief engineer in the merchant navy and diesel engines and similar stuff is in my blood... I would still hesitate to DIY when it comes to a puncture repair on a tyre on which I am going to go on at 200 plus speeds in my car....

cheers
FZ
Old 19th September 2011, 11:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Usually the tubeless tyres release air very slowly, so if they have been repaired correctly and the air leak prevented successfully, they should be as good as new.

Dhanush, each and every tubeless tyre puncture repair I have got done on my tyres has been a plug method. No fillers, and certainly no patching up. So I would think plug method is the most popular, followed by filler and maybe then the patch. I don't know who would want to patch the tubeless tyres, though.

Frank, ghodlur, do ensure the tyres are correctly inflated. Speeds of 200 are well in excess of the speed limits on the E-way and the heat buildup in the tyres could be a problem if the tyre pressures were off. I would worry more about the tyre bursts than a puncture.
Old 19th September 2011, 12:18   #10
BHPian

In Bangalore for puncher sealed by mushroom type method costs Rs 200.Is,nt this better than the filler and plug method as in Mushroom method the rubber filler is inserted from inner wall of the tyre and this is glued by a rubber patch from inside of the tyre.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks