Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 23:44   #1
Senior - BHPian

Buying used alloy wheels?

Sometime ago on my way back home I passed through the junk yard market.

Some alloy wheels caught my eye. I stopped my car and went to check the details.

The alloys were OZ and Lenso 17 inchers. A set of 4 used alloys of either brand for 12K before negotiation.

Will this be a worthwhile option for those looking to buy alloys at a budget?

Are there things worth keeping in mind or should they be avoided at all costs?
Old 25th August 2011, 23:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: buying used alloy wheels?

A more better idea might be to look up t-bhp classifieds.You might just find what you are looking for.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:30   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: buying used alloy wheels?

Its not only a good idea but a great idea and at those prices its a steal, Check for bends/ crack /chipping. BTW which car? Your Lancer? 17" will be very harsh cause you can only put 205 45 R 17 tyres, these tyres will cost you an arm and a leg . Also there is a great chance of breaking your alloys so go easy on potholes, Post some pics of those alloys and do some social service, there might be other people who might be interested in.

Pramod
Old 26th August 2011, 20:26   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Buying used alloy wheels?

Mouth-watering prices, considering how expensive 17 inch wheels are. While I personally wouldn't buy used alloy wheels, if you do go ahead, please ensure you get them thoroughly checked by a wheel expert (just take a pappu along for 200 - 300 bucks).

Also, since they are a set of 4, what will you do if one is damaged (either at the time of purchase or later)? Presuming the designs are old, it will be very hard to source a replacement.

Lastly, keep in mind that however cheap the wheels are, 17 inch tyres are VERY expensive. Think 10,000 - 12,000 a piece.
Old 26th August 2011, 20:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Also ponder on the fact "why are the alloys in a junk yard". If they were in nice shape, they would have landed with some tyre dealer or alloy shop. A possibility that the original car may have been hit from one side if not entirely is not remote. and the crack/patch may have been nice covered up.

You would be better off buying from individuals who may be upgrading or switching to another design. Just make an open offer to your friend or similar that you will pay 2k more than what the dealer/shop people offer him in exchange.

And like others have suggested - are you willing to shell out 10-12k a tyre.
Old 26th August 2011, 23:42   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodkumar View Post
Also there is a great chance of breaking your alloys so go easy on potholes, Post some pics of those alloys and do some social service, there might be other people who might be interested in.
Pramod
I am not buying for my lancer. My cars have company alloys already. And looking at the road conditions I changed my mind against upsizing long ago.

I am posting this as a service to those who are looking for cheap alloy alternatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Also, since they are a set of 4, what will you do if one is damaged (either at the time of purchase or later)? Presuming the designs are old, it will be very hard to source a replacement.

Lastly, keep in mind that however cheap the wheels are, 17 inch tyres are VERY expensive. Think 10,000 - 12,000 a piece.
The Lenso design was the latest that I was looking at for my Jazz 6-7 months ago. That is what makes the deal more exciting. The shops (8-10 in total) also had Aura HHR and other branded companies.

And while we are talking 12K before negotiations (5-6K most I would assume after negotiations), I am sure one can easily afford to replace with similar alloys again.

All in all they have as much stock as new shops so choice is not a problem either.

But I agree, they need to be checked.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 26th August 2011 at 23:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks