Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2011, 16:07   #1
BHPian

Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts

Hi All!

It's been quite a while since I started looking for an adapter that can help me open these lug nuts. Does anybody else have the same one on your car? Can someone help me find one? I just want to get rid of these and get the allen key type since they're much more commonplace.

I guess these are called Boxer nuts. There are 6 grooves on them.

Attached Thumbnails
Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts-dsc01873.jpg  

Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts-dsc01875.jpg  

Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts-dsc01876.jpg  

Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts-dsc01877.jpg  

Last edited by Tassem : 8th October 2011 at 16:11.
Old 8th October 2011, 16:36   #2
BHPian

Re: Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts

That's something very unique and anti-theft design! It is ensured that no matter what happens, very few thief will carry a socket to open such a lock nut.
Old 8th October 2011, 22:04   #3
BHPian

Forget thieves! Even full fledged workshops don't have the adapter for this nut! There lies my problem!

If I can find an adapter, I'll retain these.
Old 8th October 2011, 23:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Google it and you will find a lot of vendors selling them. Or else take one to the local toolers' and he will make one for you.
Tejas@perioimpl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th October 2011, 00:31   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas@perioimpl View Post
Google it and you will find a lot of vendors selling them. Or else take one to the local toolers' and he will make one for you.
I tried google. Most of the high security lug nuts are the allen key variety.

They type I have are called Spline nuts or Boxer nuts. But the websites that do have them are the chinese variety and haven't replied to my emails.

Do you know anyone in Bangalore who can tool a suitable adapter?

I really appreciate the help!
Old 17th January 2012, 09:24   #6
BHPian

Managed to get Boxer nuts Key or technically 6 Spline Drive Lug Nut Key? Incidentally, which brand of wheels are you using?

6 Spline Lug Nuts & Key
Adapter for Weird Lug Nuts-mac_mutekicr1.jpg
A sample from the Net.

The male 12 splines are used to remove the VW seats - I have only those with me. Many splines are available in India but you may have to hunt for your specific size. The normal spline nos are 6,7,8 & 12.

Please keep us informed.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Recently I had to change the wheel nuts when I changed to new alloys on my Swift. the OE nuts, though they fitted, the bolt spanner did not work since the nut grooves were too small to accomodate the spanner head. Hence I changed the wheel nuts, and the set of nuts came with an adapter which can be fixed to the head of the normal spanner. Problem is, I need to be very careful not to lose that adapter (which is quite small in size). If that is lost, then I would not be able to take off the wheel in case of a puncture.

My question is, where can I buy that adapter separately (as a spare one). Would I get it on SP Road/JC Road?
Old 17th January 2012, 09:41   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
My question is, where can I buy that adapter separately (as a spare one). Would I get it on SP Road/JC Road?
Most allloy dealers would have it and yeah JC road is your best bet if you loose one. Ask for allen key bolt when on JC road, you say adapter and they might show you something else.
Old 17th January 2012, 09:51   #9
BHPian

You should be able to find what you need here nut keys | eBay

If you don't see a seller that will ship to India then you a better of buying locally (or you could use a service like iccworld.com).
Old 17th January 2012, 11:20   #10
BANNED

I doubt it. These are 'security keyed' and may have to be just rotated using a Mole Wrench or some equally drastic tool. Also, these may even be hardened steel, so may be tough to drill out.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:01   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hope this 'special' lug nuts are of good quality and not the typical low cost ones which rust easily and create a mess. Please see the following thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...-lug-nuts.html

I recommend only OEM wheel nuts with a long-neck adapter!

@arindambasu13, hope your got quality lug nuts (cost some hundreds +), and not free ones thrown in by alloy dealer.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 17th January 2012 at 12:09.
Old 18th January 2012, 08:51   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Most allloy dealers would have it and yeah JC road is your best bet if you loose one. Ask for allen key bolt when on JC road, you say adapter and they might show you something else.
Thanks. I will probably take along the adapter itself and show it to them so that there is no confusion whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post

I recommend only OEM wheel nuts with a long-neck adapter!

@arindambasu13, hope your got quality lug nuts (cost some hundreds +), and not free ones thrown in by alloy dealer.
Nope these are not low cost or free ones at all. I spent a pretty penny on the alloys so I made sure that the nuts themselves were also of good quality, and did cost me close to 1k (set of 16 plus adapter). Plus these were from Madhus, so I doubt they would be of inferior quality anyways.

However, from the referred thread it appears that there have been complaints for these after market nuts. Any idea where I can get the separate spanner and adapter (the long neck one) which will allow me to use the OEM wheel nuts (I have retained these with me)?

Last edited by Technocrat : 19th January 2012 at 03:48.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
Nope these are not low cost or free ones at all. I spent a pretty penny on the alloys so I made sure that the nuts themselves were also of good quality, and did cost me close to 1k (set of 16 plus adapter). Plus these were from Madhus, so I doubt they would be of inferior quality anyways.

However, from the referred thread it appears that there have been complaints for these after market nuts. Any idea where I can get the separate spanner and adapter (the long neck one) which will allow me to use the OEM wheel nuts (I have retained these with me)?
Well, then you should be fine since these would be high quality aftermarket lug nuts. The ones I had on, were put on by Sai Iyengar (also a very big tyre dealer) for free when I bought alloys from them - I had no clue what to expect at the time, and trust me, the cheap ones are so shiny when new, I couldn't think of any issues. In any case, just inspect after 6 months and 9 months, and you're reassured.
Good that you retained your OEM lug nuts, I had to buy a new set :-(
Long neck adapter, I requested Lancer A.S.S. and they got one for me for a couple of hundred (IIRC). You should be able to find on JC road etc, I guess.

Last edited by lancer_rit : 18th January 2012 at 09:46.
Old 18th January 2012, 09:59   #14
BANNED

A correction. A lot of these security lugs are Mild Steel so can be cut off. In fact I came across an advisory that be gentle with these
Old 18th January 2012, 10:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer_rit View Post
Well, then you should be fine since these would be high quality aftermarket lug nuts. The ones I had on, were put on by Sai Iyengar (also a very big tyre dealer) for free when I bought alloys from them - I had no clue what to expect at the time, and trust me, the cheap ones are so shiny when new, I couldn't think of any issues. In any case, just inspect after 6 months and 9 months, and you're reassured.
Good that you retained your OEM lug nuts, I had to buy a new set :-(
Long neck adapter, I requested Lancer A.S.S. and they got one for me for a couple of hundred (IIRC). You should be able to find on JC road etc, I guess.
Either ways, from what I see it would be better to switch back to the OEM nuts. Last thing I want is for the nuts to start rusting. What should I ask for on JC road- wheel nut adapter? And is Taparia the brand?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks