Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2011, 12:03   #1
BHPian

How to identify the 'tube tyre'

Recently i got a sidewall punchure in one of the tubeless tyres in my Fiesta 1.6, owing to which I had to put in a tube in that tyre and finally shift it to the boot. While I was on a month long tour, my dad got all the 5 tyres rotated (I guess randomly).

Now how do i identify the 'with tube' tyre amongst the tubeless ones?? Any clues? Thanx..

Last edited by akash_m : 28th December 2011 at 12:05.
Old 28th December 2011, 12:17   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: How to identify the 'tube tyre'

Quote:
Originally Posted by akash_m View Post
Recently i got a sidewall punchure in one of the tubeless tyres in my Fiesta 1.6, owing to which I had to put in a tube in that tyre and finally shift it to the boot. While I was on a month long tour, my dad got all the 5 tyres rotated (I guess randomly).

Now how do i identify the 'with tube' tyre amongst the tubeless ones?? Any clues? Thanx..

valve would have a nut on it for tube wala.
no?
mayankk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2011, 12:27   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The best way to do this is to examine the neck/valve closely.

In a tube type tyre, the valve will be a little loose and if you move it with your finger, it will move and a small gap will open up between the valve and the rim.

In a tubeless tyre, the neck will be completely airtight even if you try to move it a little bit. There will also be a small bulge at the base of the valve, just above the hole in the rim. A tube type tyre's valve will just be straight and will not have a slight rubbery bulge above the point where it meets the rim.

I wish I could explain it better!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 12:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
The best way to do this is to examine the neck/valve closely.
Nice explanation Nikhil.

On a different note is it safe/advisable to have one tube and 3 tubeless tyres? I had a similar sidewall puncture on one tubelss tyre and have converted it to a tube. But have kept it as a spare wheel eventhough it was only 500 Kms old.

Was not sure if i can mix tube and tubeless tyres for regular driving.
Old 30th December 2011, 12:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

The sidewall cut can actually cause damage to the tube and can give you headaches. Also, some tubeless tyres are not meant to be used with tubes. The inner layer could wear out fast and lead to tyre failure. The heat produced due to the friction between tube and tyre could be too much for the tyre too. The ubeless tyre may not be designed for that kind of heat produced inside the tyre.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 13:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

After you have identified the 'tube' tyre with methods mentioned above, you could paint the valve of your tubeless to avoid confusion. You can even mark the inside of the tire with a permanent marker.

Last edited by jinojohnt : 30th December 2011 at 13:17.
jinojohnt is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks