Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2012, 19:05   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work

Here's a link I found where the guy painted the rims from silver to black:

How to paint your rims - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

I so feel like trying it out with my Santro, I shall probably carry the spare home tonight and paint it just a teeny weeny bit to see how it goes.

Yeah, it might look ugly on the Santro, but the other option is to buy another half litre can of silver/chrome and paint the rims. Too much paint left over! I could paint the entire neighbourhood cars' rims with the left over paint.
Old 9th January 2012, 20:06   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
Here's a link I found where the guy painted the rims from silver to black:

How to paint your rims - Taurus Car Club Maintenance and Modification Wiki

I so feel like trying it out with my Santro, I shall probably carry the spare home tonight and paint it just a teeny weeny bit to see how it goes.

Yeah, it might look ugly on the Santro, but the other option is to buy another half litre can of silver/chrome and paint the rims. Too much paint left over! I could paint the entire neighbourhood cars' rims with the left over paint.
You mean to color rim os Santro from silver to Black? It should look good as I have seen many. What color is your Santro? As far as I know Black wont look bad on it. And to make it much eye catching you can always have a vinyl red/chrome/white lining on outer rim.
Old 10th January 2012, 07:37   #33
Senior - BHPian

One thing you guys have to watch out for
1. if you dont maintain your wheels clean,once it gets dirty, then they look worse
2. the machines tyrewallahs use to change tyres will damage the finish, so you will need touch ups every time you change
3. have been told powder coating is a much longer lasting option
4. Matte finish is easier to take care of
PFA my indicab with black rims
DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-156643_472491736235_799551235_5566876_8281214_n1.jpg
Old 10th January 2012, 09:29   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
One thing you guys have to watch out for
1. if you dont maintain your wheels clean,once it gets dirty, then they look worse. Yes it does but still looks good like dusty sport shoes. I use tyre shine as well.
2. the machines tyrewallahs use to change tyres will damage the finish, so you will need touch ups every time you change No Idea about this, But how about the rims that comes black from company itself (swift vdi etc.). BTW, when I used masking tape, i left the outer-inner edge to be painted for the same reason. Considering that I am using Tubeless, tyre changing would also not be required.
3. have been told powder coating is a much longer lasting option My RD's exhaust pipes have the powder coating. However, it does come off. IMO, atleast we can touch up at home but with powder coat I again have no idea.
4. Matte finish is easier to take care of I need to give another coat of matt black and another coat on the embossed fonts on tyre.
PFA my indicab with black rims
Attachment 868952
So how about sharing your story of those black rims.
Old 10th January 2012, 11:31   #35
Senior - BHPian

not sure why, but the factory painted steel rims maintain their finish. Mine has started peeling. I got mine done from a local paintshop when i was getting some touch up work done. Right now I use wheelcaps so the peeling is not obvious, and the wheelcaps look much better, but they have made the wear even worse.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:32   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
Here is the Michelin's

Paint Job of engravings

Attachment 862966
That looks like a really well done job. I also tried to paint the letterings on my Michelin. However, I am not very satisfied with the results I have obtained, they are far from perfect. I used a normal paint brush.

Just want to ask you, what exactly is it that you are using to paint the letters in that picture?
Old 10th January 2012, 12:45   #37
BHPian

My Nissan Micra is having OEM wheel covers. The aluminium (or looks like aluminium finish) coating is flaking off from them.The paint started coming off after a tire got punctured and the mechanic had to slightly bend (with a screw driver and soft cloth in between the wheel cover and rims and how the manual depicts) the wheel cover to snap it out. Started out as a small crack in the paint and now half the paint of the cover is gone.

Any tips on how to paint these back on? Note that the base is plastic, so need something that will stick on to the plastic and give a metallic finish.
Old 10th January 2012, 14:01   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
That looks like a really well done job. I also tried to paint the letterings on my Michelin. However, I am not very satisfied with the results I have obtained, they are far from perfect. I used a normal paint brush.

Just want to ask you, what exactly is it that you are using to paint the letters in that picture?
a 19 rupees white oil paint from asian and Camlin brush #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutts View Post
My Nissan Micra is having OEM wheel covers. The aluminium (or looks like aluminium finish) coating is flaking off from them.The paint started coming off after a tire got punctured and the mechanic had to slightly bend (with a screw driver and soft cloth in between the wheel cover and rims and how the manual depicts) the wheel cover to snap it out. Started out as a small crack in the paint and now half the paint of the cover is gone.

Any tips on how to paint these back on? Note that the base is plastic, so need something that will stick on to the plastic and give a metallic finish.
I guess you can choose the can from Aeroaids Corporation - Com-Paint Touchup Spray Paint, Aerosol Spray Paint Manufacturers= and use a 1000/1200 grit emry paper to give it original looks
nomadabhi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 14:03   #39
Senior - BHPian

It's strange for OE wheel covers to lose paint. I can understand cracks, as the OE wheel caps of my Ikon too are broken at the outer edges, but they still retain their paint.

I am not sure, but sandpaper and oil paint (or spray can) should do the trick. Also check if any of the neighbourhood garages can do electro-plating. Plating should give you a better and longer-lasting finish than painting.
Old 10th January 2012, 15:38   #40
Senior - BHPian

Abhi, here are a couple of pictures, though I think you will only come to know the real quality of the job by looking at the wheel personally. It's too shiny in the pics.

If you are able to magify the pics you may be able to see the strokes.

Also the painted wheel on the car has now gathered dust. I am going to try and wash it, but I have a hunch it will stay there. Don't ask me why.

Btw, any idea what is a clear coat?
Attached Thumbnails
DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-10012012758.jpg  

DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-10012012759.jpg  

DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-10012012760.jpg  

DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-09012012753.jpg  

DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-09012012752.jpg  

Old 10th January 2012, 15:52   #41
BHPian

I am going to do the same on my rims this weekend. I have already sourced a Com Paint and going to get the Emery Paper today or may be tomorrow. Hope to do a job that is worth sharing here. Its the 1st time I am dabbling into this however the urge to do so has been long.
Old 11th January 2012, 09:13   #42
BHPian

For some reason, I was not able to view the last 2 post here hence a late reply.

Quote:
If you are able to magify the pics you may be able to see the strokes.

Also the painted wheel on the car has now gathered dust. I am going to try and wash it, but I have a hunch it will stay there. Don't ask me why.

Btw, any idea what is a clear coat?
Hey that is a really unexpected brilliant brush paint job. Yes magnifying the pic shows the brush strokes but its rare. The paint quality and you paint job gave you real good results.

Dust is killer to the black rims. Mine is matt black but still have to keep it clean. It should not be washed away as the paint was applied after sanding (atleast for 3 months).

A clear coat is same as lacquer

There are two ways to have it. Either the paint (spray) you are using should be premixed with Lacquer. Or you paint and then apply a lacquer coat on dried paint. For body Paints the second option is much better to give a real gloss finish. I did the same on my RD. The second option also gives you a choice to select the grade of Lacquer you would like to choose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
I am going to do the same on my rims this weekend. I have already sourced a Com Paint and going to get the Emery Paper today or may be tomorrow. Hope to do a job that is worth sharing here. Its the 1st time I am dabbling into this however the urge to do so has been long.
It was my first time too Mave and for HoneyBee too. Eager to see the results and satisfaction you will have from you own DIY here.

I am looking for the compaint availibility locally rather than online order. Any ideas (reason is that i will be alone home so no one to take the courier).
Old 11th January 2012, 13:58   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadabhi View Post
I am looking for the compaint availibility locally rather than online order. Any ideas (reason is that i will be alone home so no one to take the courier).
At my local hardware store (even at the tyrewalla ) there were some paint spray cans, though not from COM paint. I forgot the name of the company, but it wasn't a known brand to me (heck, I only know one or two paint manufacturers )

So yes, spray cans are available (for automotive application and in various colours), but of a different brand.

A 400cc can costs approx Rs. 250+ at the store.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:30   #44
BHPian

Quote:
At my local hardware store (even at the tyrewalla ) there were some paint spray cans, though not from COM paint. I forgot the name of the company, but it wasn't a known brand to me (heck, I only know one or two paint manufacturers )

So yes, spray cans are available (for automotive application and in various colours), but of a different brand.

A 400cc can costs approx Rs. 250+ at the store.
Is it Bosny? If is is something good than let me know.
Old 12th January 2012, 16:06   #45
BHPian

This is how The Rim and Tyre looks after about a week with no cleaning and daily running of 85kms:

DIY - OEM RIM and Tyre Ebossing Paint Work-12012012113.jpg

No paint peel offs
No peeling or cracking of the tyre's white paint

Will get it clean over the weekend and then update. Planning to have another coat of matt black as well as white paint after that (just for sake of satisfaction).

Last edited by nomadabhi : 12th January 2012 at 16:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks