Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2012, 11:32   #1
BHPian

Excessive Tire Noise

Hi,

I have Michelin 14" XM1+ 185/65 tires on my Ford Figo, which have done about 16500 Kms. Of late I have noticed that, the tires have started making excessive noise when I am going between the speed of 65-80. The noise subsides when I go beyond 80 (maybe, I am not able to hear it as the engine noise too increases - Figo Diesel does have a noisy engine). I got Allignment and rotation done at 15000 Kms, and balancing at 10000 Kms. I do get allignment done every 5000 Kms.

The last time I got rotation done, i did a cross tire rotaion. (Left Front to Right Rear, and Right front to Left rear). This time round, as adviced by somebody that I shoud not get the rotation done like I did, but it should be Right front to Right Rear, and Left Front to Left rear. So, at 15000 Kms, I got it done this way.

I went to the Tire shop, and told him about the excessive noise, possibly after rotation and allignment, but he ruled that possibility out, and also told me that Tires seem to perfectly fine, no uneven wear or anything. He adviced me to go to the Michelin dealer and tell him about the noise from the tires.

Before I go to the dealer, I need advice from this forum, as to what could be the possible cause of the noise? Shall, I get the Tires back to their original position, as they were before I got roataion done at 15000 Kms.

Thanks.
Old 29th January 2012, 13:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Excessive Tire Noise

check the manufacturing date on the tires. Check for hardness.
Old 29th January 2012, 13:31   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
check the manufacturing date on the tires. Check for hardness.
Manufacturing Date - March 2011
Hardness - Not sure about that. Seem to be fine to me.

Could it be the bearings aswell? But, with only 16K done, I doubt that.
Old 29th January 2012, 17:51   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If it's happening only between certain speeds, I'm confident it isnt the tyres. I feel it's some mechanical problem.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2012, 18:01   #5
BHPian

dhinchak,

Can you please explain how does the noise sound like? Are you sure that it sounds like coming from tyres? Or could it be sound of metal grinding?
Old 29th January 2012, 22:45   #6
BHPian

Thanks Guys. I did put the car on the jack and it is not the tyre for sure. It's some other noise, which comes even when I rotate the front tyre with my hands. Will get it checked at Ford service station.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:01   #7
BHPian

Went to Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar - and they replaced the Front Right Bearings and the noise is gone now.
Old 8th February 2012, 12:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Went to Harpreet Ford, Moti Nagar - and they replaced the Front Right Bearings and the noise is gone now.
Good for you.

What was the reason for the replacement of the bearings and was there any cost involved or replaced in warranty?

Now I am experiencing a slightly more than normal tyre noise in my Fiesta inspite of the music being On, need to check with the workshop then.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:03   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Good for you.

What was the reason for the replacement of the bearings and was there any cost involved or replaced in warranty?

Now I am experiencing a slightly more than normal tyre noise in my Fiesta inspite of the music being On, need to check with the workshop then.
Reason - Gone bad, was their answer.

Yes, they replaced it under warranty. The actual price I guess i around Rs. 1021/-
dhinchak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 10:04   #10
BHPian

UPDATE

The noise reappeared again after 3 weeks. So, I booked an appointment with Harpreet Ford again this Sunday.

Along with the noise from the front wheels, another irritating noise this time was the FIGO's infamous grinding noise from the Brakes, which was worse than normal. I think the noise from the Brakes is due to the Brake dust that accumulates on the brakes, and what worsened it more was that the car had not had a wash since the past 4-5 days. Something made me suspicious that the noise from the brakes and the noise from the front wheels while driving was related.

On Sunday morning, just before going to the Service station, the guy who cleans the car daily came back from his holiday, and what he did was washed the wheels with water. While driving to the Service station, I noticed that the noise from the Brakes as well as the noise from the wheels were both reduced. I still went ahead with the visit to the Service station, and told them about the issue. And, as expected, they took the car for a Road test and told me that there was no abnormal noise from the wheels. On my insistence they cleaned the Brake pads and the noise was back to normal.

Moral of the story – What I think is Ford replaced the bearings last time even though they were not damaged, and the real culprit was the brake dust. As, along with the Noise from the wheels, I also reported the Brake noise as an issue and they cleaned the brake pads as a solution. The cleaning of the Brake pads was what solved the issue and not the change of bearings.

Related post - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2681988
dhinchak is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2012, 23:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

^^ Good to know that the noise is gone. However, I seem to recall an incident wherein a Figo owner had a hard time due to the same issue.

I think he had taken his car to Harpreet Ford for getting the brake pads cleaned & the noise had subsided in the first instance. However, it returned to haunt him within some kilometers & upon rechecking with the service station, he was informed that the brake pads would need replacement & that he would would be required to pay the charges from his pocket.
The reason given was that the warranty on brake pads is only up to 10K kms, something that is hard to believe & furthermore, Harpreet Ford should have taken care of this fact when the customer had come in for the issue before 10K.

Just wanted to apprise you with something I had read, here on TBhp itself I think.
Old 21st March 2012, 19:00   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhinchak View Post
Reason - Gone bad, was their answer.

Yes, they replaced it under warranty. The actual price I guess i around Rs. 1021/-
So warranty wont be void for the bearing if you upgrade the tyres?
Only suspension warranty will be void when you upgrade the tyres is it?

I am planning to upgrade stock MRF but scared of this warranty void issue. Any one kindly confirm if "tyre upgrade means only suspension warranty void and nothing else". Because i dont want shocks from Ford saying "you upgraded tyres so bearing worn out faster"

Thanks
Old 21st March 2012, 20:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
So warranty wont be void for the bearing if you upgrade the tyres?
Only suspension warranty will be void when you upgrade the tyres is it?

I am planning to upgrade stock MRF but scared of this warranty void issue. Any one kindly confirm if "tyre upgrade means only suspension warranty void and nothing else". Because i dont want shocks from Ford saying "you upgraded tyres so bearing worn out faster"

Thanks
Well, if they can say warranty of Brakes is void because I had outside fitted alloys - then do not be surprised if they void the warranty of your bearing even if you had Sun films applied from outside

Anyways, I still had 14" rims, so not sure if that voids the warranty or not. Also, they can quote from the "Terms and Conditions" from the owner's manual to void any warranty they want to, no matter how absurd it may sound.
Old 9th January 2013, 19:26   #14
BHPian

Just drove down from Trivandrum to Chennai on a Laura TSI. When the car crosses 100 kmph, there is a howling noise coming from the tyres. It sounds like a train honking behind you. This however is not consistent:
1. I did not have this problem when driving to TVM from Chennai
2. This did not always happen on the return trip. Only sometimes
3. I have had this once before ata round 140 a few months back

The car is just a few months old and has travelled only around 4k km. Could someone please help on this?
Old 9th January 2013, 21:03   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
The car is just a few months old and has travelled only around 4k km. Could someone please help on this?
I guess this has something to do with the road conditions. Like concrete roads make a racket.

btw, which tyre do you run?
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks