Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2006, 21:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

urgent: info reqd for US market

Hi guys,
I have been offered a mitsubishi Galant. It has 17inch alloys and possibly tubelss tyres. The guys has told me that he will replace it with company tyres since the maintenance can be costly for the existing tyres.

Should I agree to i?. we test drove the vehicle and it drives like a dream. I don't want to be disappointed after he changes the tyres.

another thing to keep in mind is for next 1-2 years, I am not going to race or looking for performance. it's going to be a family car doing 20-40 miles a week.

thanks.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:25   #2
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
Hi guys,
I have been offered a mitsubishi Galant. It has 17inch alloys and possibly tubelss tyres. The guys has told me that he will replace it with company tyres since the maintenance can be costly for the existing tyres.

Should I agree to i?. we test drove the vehicle and it drives like a dream. I don't want to be disappointed after he changes the tyres.

another thing to keep in mind is for next 1-2 years, I am not going to race or looking for performance. it's going to be a family car doing 20-40 miles a week.

thanks.
Hey 17-inch alloys with a lot of spokes right? That looks really neat on the galant. Well most car's here have tubeless radials and larger dia. wheels. My golf has 18-inch wheels and i drive like a nut race it and what not. But no probs at all. My prelude has 17inch wheels too. But anyway since you're not a driver with a racing edge you could go for something that looks good. In the end it all comes down to how much you drive and what kinda terrain it is (which i'm sure is mostly just asphalt). Good Luck.
Old 21st March 2006, 21:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Since you are going to be doing only 20-40 miles a week (very low mileage) then if the current tread on the tyres is ok then they should last you a while. Ask him if he has the original wheel and tyres if he will throw you them in as part of the deal. My sister bought a Merc A class in the UK about a year ago and the previous owner gave her the original wheels (with tyres) for nothing (the car had alloys on).
Old 21st March 2006, 21:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

yeah,
the point he was making is that if i need to replace them (I will have to, if i get a puncture), it will be a costly affair, 100+$ per tyre. Should I be scared and let him take away the alloys?

I found following, and he might be correct.
http://www.stopngo.com/auto.asp
Old 21st March 2006, 21:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Ask him if he has the original wheel and tyres if he will throw you them in as part of the deal.
he is a dealer, he is going to give me only one of those, he can make plenty of use of the other ones remaining.
Old 22nd March 2006, 01:28   #6
Senior - BHPian

Ignore my ignorance but why would the tyre need to be replaced if it has a puncture ? Can it not be repaired ?
Old 22nd March 2006, 01:57   #7
Team-BHP Support

tired...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k
Hi guys,

how many miles has the car done on the current set of tires? if the current set has more than 40,000 miles on it then the tires might be due for replacement already.

you say the owner is willing to fit in the original tires - are they the same size as your current ones? how many miles do they have on them.

for any tire replacement in 17" you will be paying $100+ per tire regardless.

rarely will you find a car running on tubed tires here.

you won't have to replace a tire after a puncture. punctures can be repaired. the only reason to replace a tire would be sidewall or tread-area damage.

as long as you keep proper tire pressure and rotate tires at every service (or the recommended 6000miles), you should be fine. is he talking about maintenance of the alloys - as in cleanliness, etc?

Last edited by aah78 : 22nd March 2006 at 01:59. Reason: modifying content
Old 22nd March 2006, 09:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
It has 17inch alloys and possibly tubelss tyres. The guys has told me that he will replace it with company tyres since the maintenance can be costly for the existing tyres.
Dude, he is willing to replace it only because he WANTS the 17 inchers for another car. Seems like a fairly decent marketeer.

GTO
Old 22nd March 2006, 19:59   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman
Ignore my ignorance but why would the tyre need to be replaced if it has a puncture ? Can it not be repaired ?
I was going by the information given on the site i gave y'day. it says the manufacturers prefer replacing the tyres. and also that all superficial repairs are considered temporary and not legally drivable for a long time.

anyway, i am going to have a chat with bridgestone guys when i take the car for mech inspection before buying. i will get both the option weighed and estimate the future cost of maintenance.

Had it been in india, I would not have worried, but I know things can be quite tricky in US.

Thanks all,
Old 23rd March 2006, 09:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Keep the 17 inchers. Use the apt season tires. I think that tire guy is trying to get u to give him the 17 inchers and nice tyres and giving u some lousy wheels and tires,machan.

Don't succumb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks