Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2012, 19:09   #1
BHPian

Tyre Orientation changed wrongly. What are my damages?

Hi,

Last week (Wed, 25-Jan) I suffered a puncture and had to take it to MRF Tyre showroom (Thoraipakkam, Chennai) to fix the punctured tyre. While fitting the tyre the mechanic had fitted with the wrong orientation and as a result the Tyre wall that is supposed to be outside is now inside. I did not realize it until today (did not drive from Wed till today). The car would have barely run 25 Kms from then and now. My question is whether the tyre would have suffered any major damages?

Last edited by DWind : 30th January 2012 at 19:10.
Old 30th January 2012, 21:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWind
Hi,

Last week (Wed, 25-Jan) I suffered a puncture and had to take it to MRF Tyre showroom (Thoraipakkam, Chennai) to fix the punctured tyre. While fitting the tyre the mechanic had fitted with the wrong orientation and as a result the Tyre wall that is supposed to be outside is now inside. I did not realize it until today (did not drive from Wed till today). The car would have barely run 25 Kms from then and now. My question is whether the tyre would have suffered any major damages?
Don't worry. Nothing would have happened since you have not driven much. Just put it back the right way get them balanced and you are ready to go
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 21:42   #3
BHPian

Re: Tyre Orientation changed wrongly. What are my damages?

With the km you covered absolutely no damage would have occurred. The outside of the tire has slightly harder compound or has big knobbly rubber tread to aid in cornering depending on the make of the tire. Unless you were trying it on the track at high speeds to check cornering ability of the car rest assured nothing much would have happened.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:19   #4
BHPian

If something had gone wrong you would have felt it in the way car handles already. As you have driven only 25 Kms nothing major should have happened !

Quote:
I suffered a puncture and had to take it to MRF Tyre showroom (Thoraipakkam, Chennai) to fix the punctured tyre.
But such kind of mistake from a proprietary MRF outlet is really sad to hear
Old 31st January 2012, 15:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

While nothing would have happened to the tire, ask the showroom to replace it with a new one. It is their mistake after all and let them learn from it in the hard way.
Old 31st January 2012, 16:03   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
While nothing would have happened to the tire, ask the showroom to replace it with a new one. It is their mistake after all and let them learn from it in the hard way.
Demand a replacement for this ?!!

Leave the worker who did that, I doubt if the owner of that MRF shop would know exactly the importance of (OUTSIDE/ INSIDE) or any technicalities of an asymmetrical tire.
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2012, 16:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpzen View Post
I doubt if the owner of that MRF shop would know exactly the importance of (OUTSIDE/ INSIDE) or any technicalities of an asymmetrical tire.
That is my whole point. A proprietary showroom should know of these technicalities and if they goofed, better to make some noise rather than meekly asking them to correct it. While the chances for replacement are zero (considering that is punctured tire) it would at least make them realize their mistake!
Old 1st February 2012, 13:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

A unidirectional tyre, if mounted reverse, will not perform optimally. ie, they will not disperse water properly, reduced grip while cornering, etc..

Some companies like Michelin have slightly higher silica content (harder rubber) on the corners to give better tyre mileage. If not mounted properly, it becomes pointless.

Other than that, there will be NO damages to your car, and for the kilometers run, for your tyre too. Please correct the same ASAP, and use your car with complete peace of mind.

Last edited by dhanushs : 1st February 2012 at 13:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks