Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th March 2006, 01:17   #1
BHPian

Mag alloy and Racing Slicks..

hey all !!
I'm looking for a couple of sets of Racing slicks (and ideally, Mag-Alloy ultra light weight wheels too). Does any one have an idea whether Dunlop/Hankook/Hoosier racing Slicks R13/5.5 are available and where... ?
I'm residing in Delhi. Would it be wise to approach the above companies' dealership network with this request ?
As of now, we're using Hankook Racing compound intermediate weather tyres(tubeless) with Aura Al Alloy wheels. This combo weighs a huge 14 kilos a piece!!
Would any one please let me know if there's a better alternative for lighter weight AND better traction ?
Old 26th March 2006, 01:38   #2
BHPian

This has been discussed Here
Old 26th March 2006, 02:25   #3
BHPian

Thanks Edmund.
and how about Magnesium alloy wheels ?
btw, Edmund, did u finally get the slicks u had set out for ?
and did they cost u to a tune of ~ 5grand each ?
Old 26th March 2006, 15:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

Looking for slicks, Magnesium wheels, worried about 14 kgs of unsprung weight, student from Delhi...... building a single-seater, are we?

13 incher Hoosier slicks cost about $120 officially, plus shipping, plus customs, plus greasing palms.
Old 26th March 2006, 22:26   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head
Looking for slicks, Magnesium wheels, worried about 14 kgs of unsprung weight, student from Delhi...... building a single-seater, are we?
Yup !! That's me !! It would be the 3rd attempt that i would be associated with....

I see u're a student too !!
Old 26th March 2006, 22:41   #6
Senior - BHPian

How were your past two attempts, DCEite? What engines? Looking to go where this time?
Old 26th March 2006, 22:59   #7
BHPian

Hey !!
Yup, we're Defianz Racing from DCE.
First of all, How do you know about us ??
Our previous two attempts were , well, not up to the mark.
the competition is in UK in July. Our seniors got an R6 carb 2001 engine off ebay. But,it came minus the electricals and never worked the way we wanted it to. Still, trying with the same engine this time round too..
Last year, it was a last minute change as the conversion from Carb to mpfi worked disaster... we had to settle for a Bullet 500cc engine to power the single seater. don't even ask what it did to the car's power:weight ratio!! LoL!!
Old 26th March 2006, 23:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

So you guys built but didn't compete in Formula Student last year? Yeah so Ebay engines look tempting at $500 and so, but doesn't work out in India. Why Bullet engine man? A quick check at a few junk yards around the country and you would have surely found something under 610cc lying around. How is the funding scene?
Old 26th March 2006, 23:53   #9
BHPian

Actually, we didn't have the luxury of liquid Cash to pick an engine up from the garages .. One of the team memebr did go all theway to Pune on the lookout .. but what was asked in return would've set us off by a Huge amount !! As always, sponsorship scene is really dicey .

No, we DID make it to the F-Stu last year.. Are u too planning an attempt at the comptt ? u know about the event way too well !!
Old 2nd April 2006, 12:19   #10
Team-BHP Support

Woohoo.... the more the merrier!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manas
This combo weighs a huge 14 kilos a piece!!
Yikes, compare that here with TBHPians cars

Just for your reference the next time i go into the shop i will weigh the BBS alloys and the Hoosier slicks and rain tires and let you know, though the tires arent mounted yet so how much of a weight difference do you think that will make (i have always wondered that? ie the weight of the air in the tires)

also, check out these custom wheels seen in detriot in 2005 >

How about some pics and details of what you guys have worked on as well as the place you work etc...would really love to see! (Just saw your website but there were no pics!

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 2nd April 2006 at 12:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks