Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2017, 14:35   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tyre Upsize for Nissan Micra / Renault Pulse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Earlier Micra came with Maxxis tires and MRF replaced the same later.
IIRC they were imported from Thailand.
Glad to learn that.
Strange choice though by Nissan.

On similar lines, they were also importing the earlier 15" wheels from Enkei Japan.
Old 10th May 2017, 12:02   #32
BANNED

My Micra petrol has completed 33K in 5 and 1/2 years on stock MRF zvtv 165/70 R14. Out of the original 5, I have changed 1 tyre to MRF again last year after a sidewall cut.

Tyre threads seem OK, only thing I am noticing from last 6 months or so is the increase in tyre noise. They are now becoming terrible and driving with glass up and music becoming a norm.

The car is due for upgrade in 2019. What is advisable at this point, to continue on these sets or go for a upgrade and change?

I will definite prefer a silent and better performing tyre with an up-size to 175/65 R14. My monthly running at this stage is around 800 KM in a month with a short highway trip once in two month.
Old 10th May 2017, 13:44   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post

Tyre threads seem OK, only thing I am noticing from last 6 months or so is the increase in tyre noise. They are now becoming terrible and driving with glass up and music becoming a norm.

The car is due for upgrade in 2019. What is advisable at this point, to continue on these sets or go for a upgrade and change?

I will definite prefer a silent and better performing tyre with an up-size to 175/65 R14. My monthly running at this stage is around 800 KM in a month with a short highway trip once in two month.

As a general rule, it is advisable to change the tires, whether used or not in about six years. Because the rubber degenerates and looses its softness. That's why you are facing the problem of increased tire noises. It is time to change the tires, even though there is some tread depth left on your tires. Considering you will replace the car in middle of 2019, you would have run approximately 20,000 kms on your new set of tires.

You could upgrade to Apollo Alnacs 175/65 R14s which you will get at a good price of about Rs. 4100 per tire. These are soft tires and you will be definitely happy about the increased grip and comfort levels. Also the tire noises will decrease considerably.

Of course you could go for Michelin XM2s or Yokohama Earth 1s at a little premium. These tires come highly recommended by BHPians for their quality, performance and reliability.

Just buy four tires and keep one MRF 165/70 R14 as a spare.

Last edited by BLACKBLADE : 10th May 2017 at 13:50. Reason: Added a point.
BLACKBLADE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 15:26   #34
BANNED

Thank you for your advice. Indeed I am thinking of tyre change for some time, just holding back to get some expert advice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
You could upgrade to Apollo Alnacs 175/65 R14s which you will get at a good price of about Rs. 4100 per tire. These are soft tires and you will be definitely happy about the increased grip and comfort levels. Also the tire noises will decrease considerably.
Apollo alnacs is not available at 175/65 R14, they are available for 185/60 R14, which will decrease the ground clearance a bit more of already low clearance of Micra. 175/65 R14s are Apollo amazer, which I think is in same category of MRF zvtvs, I may be wrong.
In this case I have to go for either Yoko earth1 175/65 or Micheline XM2.
Old 10th May 2017, 16:09   #35
BANNED

Quote:
Apollo alnacs is not available at 175/65 R14, they are available for 185/60 R14, which will decrease the ground clearance a bit more of already low clearance of Micra. 175/65 R14s are Apollo amazer, which I think is in same category of MRF zvtvs, I may be wrong.
In this case I have to go for either Yoko earth1 175/65 or Micheline XM2.
Sorry for back to back post as 30 minutes buffer have passed, moderators please excuse.

Called few stores around my place, Micheline seems to be in scarcity. Yoko earth1 (tyre trax) were offered on stock size (165/70 R14) at 3k a piece and Apollo alnacs (yash tyres) on stock size (165/70 R14) at 2.5K a piece.

The most recommended shop Lokamanya is a bit far off my place and provided I will be using these tyres for mac 20k kms, I might settle for Yoko or Apollo.

Let me go and check these place over this weekend and finalize based on tyre condition and manufacturing date.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 10th May 2017 at 16:10.
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2017, 15:05   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Let me go and check these place over this weekend and finalize based on tyre condition and manufacturing date.
Went for Yokohama earth1 on stock size.

Micra petrol, factory recommended tyre pressure is 35psi to 45psi on basis of semi loaded or fully loaded. I used to keep 36psi on old MRFs.
Now what pressure should I maintain with the Yokos?
I was under impression that, it should be same. But the tyre guy said, I should keep 32psi.
Old 30th May 2017, 09:35   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Now what pressure should I maintain with the Yokos?
Please keep air pressure close to manufacturer recommended values. You can try more or less depending on your choice for ride comfort & handling.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2017, 13:15   #38
BANNED

Exactly one month and 1250 KM after installing Yoko in stock size in my Micra, a small review:

The good ones:
  1. Excellent wet grip, I have driven in varied road condition with the tyres including broken and bad patches of coastal Maharashtra to Pune-Mumbai express way. It was raining cats and dogs in one of the drive in express way and I can feel the grip the tyres are giving me, huge improvement from previous MRFs.
  2. Road and steering feedback are there somehow, can feel the same from 'zero' feedback of previous tyres.
  3. Brakes have improved, not sure up to how much as the discs were also changed.
Not so good ones:
  1. Though tyre noise has reduced, but still present.
  2. The tyres tend to catch a lot of road rubble and dart in between the threads and throw them against the wheel-arcs latter.
I will definitely recommend these tyres any day over mass market tyres like MRF zvtvs. Yokos are also priced considerably lower than Michelin and near to those of Goodyears and Bridgestones, making them extremely VFM.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks