Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2012, 19:19   #1
BANNED

Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?

I found these tires in many tire shop today, the quality seemed GOOD and the Price Yummy

What do the tire experts say on this.

Kelly Tires | Home

I am looking at replacing tires for my M-800, and wanted to go for HANKOOK tires due to the white wall effect, but during this search, i stumbled across this.

If any thread related to the same exist, please merge with the same , Thanx

I am looking at the below set of tires..
Attached Thumbnails
Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?-imag_0111.jpg  

Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?-imag_0112.jpg  

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th July 2012 at 19:24.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 19:31   #2
BHPian

re: Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?

This is the first time I have heard of this tyre manufacturer. But going through their website, it seems they are a rather small organisation. I tried searching for swift tyres and the latest model on the list was 2001 swift! You might save a couple of 100 bucks but I'd suggest you to stay away.
scuderiamania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 19:35   #3
BHPian

Hello Sir,
I have used Hankook for my 118ne earlier. Excellent set of tyres. I got them from Kartar tyres New Delhi. Kelly tyres...hmmm.. sorry not heard them. Is it available in Bangalore? What is the price? and how much for Hankook?
B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 19:52   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
This is the first time I have heard of this tyre manufacturer. But going through their website, it seems they are a rather small organisation. I tried searching for swift tyres and the latest model on the list was 2001 swift! You might save a couple of 100 bucks but I'd suggest you to stay away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.R.S.Rao View Post
Hello Sir,
I have used Hankook for my 118ne earlier. Excellent set of tyres. I got them from Kartar tyres New Delhi. Kelly tyres...hmmm.. sorry not heard them. Is it available in Bangalore? What is the price? and how much for Hankook?
These tyres are available in Bangalore aplenty, Quality of Tyres seemed very very nice, if not BEST, but on Par with the best available in India. Thats my perception of looking at it. So please differ and give me opinion if anyone has used these tyres.

If i look at the price preposition, here's what i found...

Hankook 12 inch = Rs. 2100/-
Michelin 12 inch = Rs. 2700/-
Yoko's 12 inch = Rs. 2700/-
JK 12 inch = Rs. 2400/-
KELLY 12 inch = Rs. 1550/-
Old 25th July 2012, 19:56   #5
BHPian

Stay away sir. The problem with these tyres are that they are not the tried and tested ones in India. Put in a few extra bucks and buy peace of mind
RevvMusic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 20:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
I am looking at replacing tires for my M-800, and wanted to go for HANKOOK tires due to the white wall effect, but during this search, i stumbled across this.
The price you have mentioned for Hankook is much lesser than Michelins. Is it so? And are all 155/70/12. Why I asked is that I may need two for my Alto soon.
rajeev k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 20:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found these tires in many tire shop today, the quality seemed GOOD and the Price Yummy
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
That's because Swifts weren't sold in the USA after that. They only got the first gen Swifts. This tyre company/website looks like an US brand so that's understandable.

Btw if these tyres are US DOT approved then i guess it should be safe for use. How come these are sold here, so these have ISI marks?

I'm intrigued by the absence of an About us or Company Profile page on their website. Maybe they gets these manufactured in China under their brand name(?).

Price is very attractive indeed!
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:15   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
That's because Swifts weren't sold in the USA after that. They only got the first gen Swifts. This tyre company/website looks like an US brand so that's understandable.

Btw if these tyres are US DOT approved then i guess it should be safe for use. How come these are sold here, so these have ISI marks?

I'm intrigued by the absence of an About us or Company Profile page on their website. Maybe they gets these manufactured in China under their brand name(?).

Well ISI marks are a myth, if it is US transportation approved then you can go with it, i was surprised to know that ISI have not approved any Run Flat tyres in India and the ones that comes fitted on BMWs and other european cars are EU transportation approved and they are shown as stock car imports so it can go fitted with the vehicle, that is the reason all these luxury car makers insist on buying heavily priced replacements from their store and these tyres are not available in open market.

Kelly tires seems to be a quite an old american tire company, check this link for more info The Kelly Springfield Tire Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
rajeshchand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:15   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
This tyre company/website looks like an US brand so that's understandable.

It prominently displays the ISI mark on the tires, by which i presume these tires must be SAFE. And the dealer says, these tires are Made in India by Good-year tires in collaboration with Kelly tires. The pattern & design looks strikingly similar.

I still assume, for a car like Maruti-800 with 100% city driving @ average of 60 kms per day, just thinking of giving it a try for the heck of it

What say..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeshchand View Post
Well ISI marks are a myth, if it is US transportation approved then you can go with it,
Kelly tires seems to be a quite an old american tire company, check this link for more info The Kelly Springfield Tire Company - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rajesh, you are a star The wiki link says the same Data about the link with GOODYEAR. The tire dealer said the same thing and i have more reasons to trust him.

Last edited by PAVAN KADAM : 25th July 2012 at 21:19.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:17   #10
BHPian

Kelly in India is manufactured and marketed by Goodyear India Limited. It has been brought in a to counter the cheap chinese tyres. AFAIK the dealer may or may not give you a warranty on them depending on what profit margins he's operating on. The company per se does not give a warranty on these tyres as they're sold at quite a low price. If you've seen the Goodyear GT770+ tread pattern you'd recognize it as the same one that kelly in 145/70/12 is being sold in. Kelly is also available for the Indica / Omni.
WasavaTyres is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 21:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It prominently displays the ISI mark on the tires, by which i presume these tires must be SAFE. And the dealer says, these tires are Made in India by Good-year tires in collaboration with Kelly tires. The pattern & design looks strikingly similar.

I still assume, for a car like Maruti-800 with 100% city driving @ average of 60 kms per day, just thinking of giving it a try for the heck of it

What say..?
I'd say for that kind of usage the value offered by Kelly is too good!

And it offers peace of mind that the tyres were manufactured in India by GoodYear and not some unknown Chinese/other company.
Old 25th July 2012, 22:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Saw these tires on some car and i assumed it to be some chinese brand.
Never knew Goodyear has a hand in it.

Anyways, at that price, its a great deal for M800 IMO.

Pavan, if you go for it, please do write a review. May be its a 1st on this forum
Old 28th July 2012, 22:51   #13
BHPian

Re: Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?

145/70 12 Kellys are sold like hot cakes, mostly due to the price. The tyre mileage is a bit low, but not drastically so. It aint all that bad in quality either. And yes it is a subsidiary of Goodyear. I say,, go ahead.
ronin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 17:05   #14
BHPian

Hi,
I have used Hankook tyres (155/70/12) for my Maruthi Omni also. I can say that these tyres are far far better than Indian made tyres. My Omni came with 145/80/12 Ceat tyres. Premature rear tyre wear is a common problem in Omni since slight extra tap on accelerator will spin the rear wheel. I had to change the stock Ceat tyres after 18,000kms due to abnormal tyre wear even after periodical tyre rotation. I have paid Rs.1800-00 per Hankook tyre (in 2007!). I have sold the vehicle in 2009 with the odo indicating 44,000kms. I felt a shock of my life time when the secondhand car dealer questioned me.."Rao sir, beautiful tyres...., and ... have you changed your Omni tyres recently...?
Attached Thumbnails
Kelly Tyres - How good / bad are they?-album1-032.jpg  

B.R.S.Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 18:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Interesting! They have the guts to offer 30 day buy back!
Kelly Tires | 30-Day Test Drive

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks