Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2006, 15:24   #1
BHPian

Whats in a tyre?

I have seen so much discussion happening about changing the stock tyres from 'bridgestone' / 'goodyear' to something else like

yokohoma
potenza

can autogurus enlighten us about what is special about yokohoma/potenza kind of tyres v/s the stock tyres that we get.

and whats the tyre life for most of these?

lets assume that we consider only the 'tubeless tyres' for discussion purpose.
Old 12th May 2006, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Car companies generally give tyres which are long lasting like the bridgestone s322s. Their gripping capabilities leave a lot to be desired as has been discovered by most of us on the forum.

Now these were just everyday tyres, nothing inherently wrong with them, but they sacrifice grip for longer life. An average motorist with an average car may not even reach the limits of these tyres with regards to grip so hes happy with them. These tyres are made of harder compounds and hence last longer.

Then we have performance tyres, these tyres give priority to performance over longevity. They are built to grip the road in all conditions but generally dont really last too long.

They have agressive tread patterns which help to grip the road better than regular tyres. Tyres with 'V' or unidirection patterns are designed to channel water away from the tyres so as to prevent aquaplaning. In order to work correctly they have to be fitted according to their direction of rotation which is marked on the tyre.

The compound used by each manufacturer is different. Different mixtures yield different results, companies keep this a closely gaurded secret.
These are also called soft compound tyres, they tend wear out faster than regular tyres.

Bridgestone s322s have known to last 50-60k kms.
My Falkens lasted about 45k kms.

Drifter
Old 12th May 2006, 18:04   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
****cough cough cough****

They may have been on your car for 45,000 KM, but they LASTED a lot less me thinks
Old 12th May 2006, 18:12   #4
BHPian

But lets say you look at quarter mile timings,
How much difference will a softer compound tyre make over a regular tyre?
My understanding is it will only help in the launch ..
Old 12th May 2006, 18:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtech
****cough cough cough****

They may have been on your car for 45,000 KM, but they LASTED a lot less me thinks

Hehe True...

Drifter
Old 12th May 2006, 19:56   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr1000f
But lets say you look at quarter mile timings,
How much difference will a softer compound tyre make over a regular tyre?
My understanding is it will only help in the launch ..
The softer compound slicks definitely help in launches and also hug the track ensuring better grip so the driver is more confident and can go faster and it also reduces braking distance. These slicks need to be warmed up to perform at their best, they do not last long and should not be used for normal use.
Old 12th May 2006, 23:06   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drifter
Car companies generally give tyres which are long lasting like the bridgestone s322s. Their gripping capabilities leave a lot to be desired as has been discovered by most of us on the forum.

Now these were just everyday tyres, nothing inherently wrong with them, but they sacrifice grip for longer life. An average motorist with an average car may not even reach the limits of these tyres with regards to grip so hes happy with them. These tyres are made of harder compounds and hence last longer.

Then we have performance tyres, these tyres give priority to performance over longevity. They are built to grip the road in all conditions but generally dont really last too long.

They have agressive tread patterns which help to grip the road better than regular tyres. Tyres with 'V' or unidirection patterns are designed to channel water away from the tyres so as to prevent aquaplaning. In order to work correctly they have to be fitted according to their direction of rotation which is marked on the tyre.

The compound used by each manufacturer is different. Different mixtures yield different results, companies keep this a closely gaurded secret.
These are also called soft compound tyres, they tend wear out faster than regular tyres.

Bridgestone s322s have known to last 50-60k kms.

Drifter
Drifter, thanks for your gyan !!

what is your definition of 'average motorist' ?

i drive my baleno at a max speed of 90 kmph not more on highway. so normal tyres should suffice i.e 185/60 bridgestone stock tyres.
Old 12th May 2006, 23:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
. so normal tyres should suffice i.e 185/60 bridgestone stock tyres.
Stock size:
Lxi 165/80-13 S322
Vxi 185/65-14 NCT5

Are there any good tyres in 165/80-13 better than B'stone S322's????
Old 13th May 2006, 00:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by venkatrx
Drifter, thanks for your gyan !!

what is your definition of 'average motorist' ?

i drive my baleno at a max speed of 90 kmph not more on highway. so normal tyres should suffice i.e 185/60 bridgestone stock tyres.
Untill and unless you dont take curves at that speed, your stock tyres will serve you just fine.

Drifter

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks