Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 16:19   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: No Tyre Grip on Floor Tiles?!

My advice - get rid of the tiles on the sloping portion. Replace it with concrete with a rough finish. It will provide excellent grip. Smooth tiles + slope = deadly combination.
Old 19th April 2013, 18:46   #32
Senior - BHPian

There is only one permanent solution without taking off or replacing tiles or sticking stuff on them. As someone already mentioned # sandblasting is a great option # flaming is the other option, though it may or may not work with tiles.

Another option could be cutting 4 mm grooves every 15cms or so

Hope that helps
Old 19th April 2013, 22:36   #33
BHPian

Why not put some bolts into the tiles for extra grip?

Simply drill hole, put a bolt in with some cement. The head of the bolt will offer good traction.

Make sure you use nickel plated ones as they will remain rust free.If you want a nice finish use anchor fastner.
Old 20th April 2013, 08:54   #34
BHPian

Yesterday I saw these tiles (brown colors only) laid in the Padmanaba Swamy temple, Gandhi Nagar, Adyar. Boy, even on a level surface and completely dry, they appeared to be slippery. Of course I was on bare foot, and hence able to get a feel of their grip level, which isn't very confidence inspiring.

Looking at the slope in your picture, even people (especially elderly) walking there will have to be careful.

Please let us know the solution you are going with and the results. Will be very helpful for others with similar situation.
Old 20th April 2013, 21:23   #35
Senior - BHPian

I know you probably don't want to hear this; But if this stuff is all around your house, you do know that it isn't very good for the environment yeah? It pretty much ruins the ground water table. Just saying :P
Old 20th April 2013, 21:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Totally agree. This has become a fashion in Kerala now a days. Every inch of the courtyard, people are putting these type of tiles. They don't allow water to percolate down and create havoc to the water table.Also these tiles provide grip only in dry conditions, under wet conditions they are a nightmare as explained by OP and many others. Granite or stone pavement with grass grouting is an eco friendly way of designing your drive way. Something like this.
http://tileguru.files.wordpress.com/...ass-grout.jpeg

Last edited by poloman : 20th April 2013 at 21:52.
poloman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:27   #37
BHPian

Found this stone in our locality itself. It's hard rock cut into pieces. Available in 1x1, 2x1 slabs and even in custom sizes. Nearly 2 inch thick. (will be a problem) Thinking of paving it partially. Didn't get a price quote yet.

Thanks revintup for the suggestion.

No Tyre Grip on Floor Tiles?!-220420132669.jpg

No Tyre Grip on Floor Tiles?!-220420132670.jpg

No Tyre Grip on Floor Tiles?!-220420132671.jpg
Old 22nd April 2013, 21:55   #38
BHPian

Perhaps change the way you handle the drive!!
Go slow and steady rather than gas it.

Regards
Piyush
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:33   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildUpGypsy View Post
Found this stone in our locality itself. It's hard rock cut into pieces. Available in 1x1, 2x1 slabs and even in custom sizes. Nearly 2 inch thick. (will be a problem) Thinking of paving it partially. Didn't get a price quote yet.
This usually need to be put on top of concrete or else it could break. IIRC, it cost me close to a 90/- per feet (~1 piece) some 5 years back. There is another one, a bit cruder, but is almost the size of a cube, so that it has to be dug deeply; this is the one which is usually laid on top of soil, and a bit of rock sand is added still to make it bed.

Though expensive, I must admit that those look nice and help water reach the ground table. Hardcore nature lovers could still argue that huge hills are vanishing in order to mine these rocks. I agree.

No Tyre Grip on Floor Tiles?!-misc2-103001.jpg
The yellow portion laid on top of concrete is the one you had come across. The magenta one almost a cube.
Old 22nd April 2013, 22:46   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
This usually need to be put on top of concrete or else it
Yes, those tiles are already on top of concrete. These stones will be grouted firmly.

I saw that floor in your Vento post. Wanted to ask, but forgot - Are those pebbles loosely put? Or are they grouted/glued?
Old 22nd April 2013, 23:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, those tiles are already on top of concrete. These stones will be grouted firmly.

I saw that floor in your Vento post. Wanted to ask, but forgot - Are those pebbles loosely put? Or are they grouted/glued?
Just loose pebbles. No incline, so it stays. Over the years, much dirt has accumulated between them. Centipedes hiding between the pebbles are another issue.

One another thing I wanted to tell you is that on these natural tiles, tire tend to slip if the incline is too much when it is wet. Since I guess, going by the pictures you put, that the slope is not that much, and I was holding back this comment. This was why I was leaning more towards concreting in my first suggestion. 4 X 4 guys may be knowing better on how bad rock climbing is during the rain than mud; or is it the reverse? I'm open for correction.
Old 22nd April 2013, 23:16   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
Mod Note : Please avoid typing with excessive dots.........like................this. Thanks

Try making rumble strips using same tiles as they do for driveway slopes using cement. Basically they look like 1 inch strips stacked one against the other at an angle. Another way to describe it is jagged edges.

Since you will use the same tiles, the aesthetics will be taken care of.

How about cementing strips of the same tiles ontop of existing tiles ?
Old 22nd April 2013, 23:18   #43
BHPian

Quote:
One another thing I wanted to tell you is that on these natural tiles, tire tend to slip if the incline is too much when it is wet.
Yes, I guess so. Concrete will be better. Will get the stones chipped for extra grip (like 'ammi kallu')
Old 23rd July 2013, 14:44   #44
BHPian

Quote:
One another thing I wanted to tell you is that on these natural tiles, tire tend to slip if the incline is too much when it is wet.

4 X 4 guys may be knowing better on how bad rock climbing is during the rain than mud; or is it the reverse? I'm open for correction.
Sure thing, I wanted to warn that as well. These stones WILL be slippery when wet. Period.

Regarding, mud Vs stone, it all depends on how loose the mud is and how deep the water has soaked in.

Quote:
Yes, I guess so. Concrete will be better. Will get the stones chipped for extra grip (like 'ammi kallu')
If the incline is steep (couldn't gauge from the photos), then that wouldn't help much either. Better solution is to put them upside down - i.e., the flat side facing down. The backside of these stones will have ups and downs that will help provide the much needed grip for both vehicles as well as for people. But be ready to get some jolt when climbing up on that surface.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks