Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 15:52   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Verna (2nd gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hi all,

I am looking to get 205/60 R15 tyres for my Verna. These are 0.9% larger than stock and hence, well within limits.

After a long day visiting several tyre shops in the city, I am now tired, confused and totally lost on what tyres to buy. Each dealer has his own favorite. The good thing though is that nobody really badmouthed any of the brands.

For starters, I'm very happy with the stock MRF ZVTV 185/65 R15. Apart from the noise, they do their job well. This should probably give you an idea about my general requirements. However I had set a target that I will not use the stockers for more than 20k km. Hence this post.

My primary requirement from the tyres is safety. This would translate to grip and strength. I don't want supersoft sidewalls which give up at the first sign of a pothole. And the Verna's suspension takes a little too much care of comfort. So I don't mind if it gets a little stiff. Tyre roar/noise is fine as long as its not worse than stock.

I know that stock tyres are notorious for their lack of quality, but so far, I haven't found a need to complain. And since I've set the bar this low, my options should be seemingly wide open. However they're not.

Before visiting the shops, I had the following tyres in my mind.
  • Apollo Accelere
  • Yoko A/C/S/ Drives
  • Yoko ES100
  • Goodyear
  • Michelin Primacy LC/Energy XM2
  • Maxxis MAZ1 (I've used these before and love them!)

However, apart from Acceleres, none of them were immediately available in the size I want. But the shops had varying opinions on the tyres.

I also saw a couple of brands I haven't heard of. Both from EPTyres. One called Accelera and the other Forceum D800. Comments on these?

Now my question is this. All things considered, what tyres would you guys recommend in 205/60 R15 that is as good as stock while being reasonably priced.

In decreasing importance my requirements are as follows:
  • Dry Grip
  • Wet Grip
  • Strong Sidewalls
  • Comfort
  • Noise
  • Appearance

And are there any recommended dealers? I spoke to Selvan from Hercules Tyres and he's an absolute gentleman.

Phew! That's a long post indeed!

Last edited by Tassem : 4th June 2013 at 15:55.
Old 4th June 2013, 15:59   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hyundai Verna (2nd gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
My primary requirement from the tyres is safety. This would translate to grip and strength. I don't want supersoft sidewalls which give up at the first sign of a pothole. And the Verna's suspension takes a little too much care of comfort. So I don't mind if it gets a little stiff. Tyre roar/noise is fine as long as its not worse than stock.
This was exactly what my list looked when I went in for a tyre upgrade. For this, I chose the S Drives. This is my second set of Yokos and I'm completely satisfied. The reason why I chose S drive is because of it's stiff sidewall. Ran through some of the worst roads in Kerala and Blore and the tyre lasted 45k kms without a single puncture. Then came 2 after which I bought the new set. Grip is phenomenal so is the handling. Road noise is min but not good when compared to other alternatives. I'm comparing this with the stock tyres of my Vento and Verna.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 16:06   #3
BHPian

Thanks Naveen,

But what about the horror stories about the S Drive sidewall? Also a close friend of mine had S Drives on his GT TSI for a week and gave it up cause of the tyre noise.

Is it really that bad?

Also, I'm not sure if they're available in 205/60 R15. None of the dealers I called had any in stock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
This was exactly what my list looked when I went in for a tyre upgrade. For this, I chose the S Drives. This is my second set of Yokos and I'm completely satisfied. The reason why I chose S drive is because of it's stiff sidewall. Ran through some of the worst roads in Kerala and Blore and the tyre lasted 45k kms without a single puncture. Then came 2 after which I bought the new set. Grip is phenomenal so is the handling. Road noise is min but not good when compared to other alternatives. I'm comparing this with the stock tyres of my Vento and Verna.
Old 4th June 2013, 16:09   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Go for Michelin XM2. Suits all your requirements to the T
sagarpadaki is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 16:15   #5
BHPian

XM2 is also not in stock! If I get a lot of votes on a particular tyre, I can have it bought at kerala/chennai as well.

The easily available ones are Yokos..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Go for Michelin XM2. Suits all your requirements to the T
Old 4th June 2013, 16:19   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Naveen,

But what about the horror stories about the S Drive sidewall? Also a close friend of mine had S Drives on his GT TSI for a week and gave it up cause of the tyre noise.

Is it really that bad?

Also, I'm not sure if they're available in 205/60 R15. None of the dealers I called had any in stock.
Since it's stiff, expect some solid road noise. Gets really bad when driving over concrete roads. Once you touch triple digit, it's gets bad. While cruising, it aint that bad. Noise is actually manageable on tarmac. If you are looking for a stiff sidewall, then S drives will work. I'm currently running on 205/55/R15 while my first set was 205/50/R15. But performing really well but the first set wasnt comfortable on bad roads so went for higher profile this time.

The site shows 205/60/15 available for S drives. Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Verna (2nd gen.) : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-sdrive.jpg  

naveen.raju is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 17:05   #7
BHPian

Do u remember how the stock tyres were? I dont mind noise as long as its not worse than stock tyres.

What do you think?

Quote:
Since it's stiff, expect some solid road noise. Gets really bad when driving over concrete roads. Once you touch triple digit, it's gets bad. While cruising, it aint that bad. Noise is actually manageable on tarmac. If you are looking for a stiff sidewall, then S drives will work. I'm currently running on 205/55/R15 while my first set was 205/50/R15. But performing really well but the first set wasnt comfortable on bad roads so went for higher profile this time.

The site shows 205/60/15 available for S drives. Here's the pic.
Old 4th June 2013, 17:35   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
XM2 is also not in stock! If I get a lot of votes on a particular tyre, I can have it bought at kerala/chennai as well.

The easily available ones are Yokos..
Check out millivisions tyre shop. They most probably Will be having stock. They are listed in the directory. Also try Madhus enterprises.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2013, 18:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Do u remember how the stock tyres were? I dont mind noise as long as its not worse than stock tyres.

What do you think?
Dont remember stock much since I upgraded before it clocked 2k kms. Went for this since my priorities were grip, handling, braking and noise was last in the list. Speaking of handling, car used to wobble after crossing 100. But S drives are rock solid even at 160 and slowly starts to wobble at 180 (maybe car isnt good enough for such a speed.)
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2013, 12:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:

Dont remember stock much since I upgraded before it clocked 2k kms. Went for this since my priorities were grip, handling, braking and noise was last in the list. Speaking of handling, car used to wobble after crossing 100. But S drives are rock solid even at 160 and slowly starts to wobble at 180 (maybe car isnt good enough for such a speed.)
Hey, could you PM me your phone number. I will be in Cochin last week of June. Lets catch up.
Old 5th July 2013, 20:20   #11
BHPian

New shoes for Verna Fluidic sx

The purple lady has done a shade over 42K on the odemeter, the tread on the factory fit bridgestones are encouraging and should be fine for another 5K however in recent three of the tires have bulges appear on the sidewall
I have put the clean ones on the front should the tyre explode, while I look for a change. I dont want to get another set of bridgestones and want to try out other options. Trouble is the standard 195/55/R16 is a unique size and not many make it.
Need your assistance in figuring out if its okay to go a size up on the width and get a michelin or Yokohama? My trusted tyre dealer is suggesting a Goodyear Eagle stating they dont bulge like the bridgestones.

Further would it be fine if I keep the Bridgestones on the 2 tyres and get the other two from another make with 205 width.

Much appreciate your assistance.
Old 5th July 2013, 21:21   #12
BHPian

Re: New shoes for Verna Fluidic sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post

Further would it be fine if I keep the Bridgestones on the 2 tyres and get the other two from another make with 205 width.

The very first thing is, do not use tyres of different sizes and profiles . Make sure all four are if the same size. As far as brands are concerned, it's a sort of personal decision as views over different makes may vary, person to person.

I have used yokohama es100 on my Linea for a couple of years now. Though they have lasted well, we are no taxi drivers to judge a tyre just on it's life. While driving over a concrete paved road, there is huge road noise. It is so huge that I do not need to honk!
+ considering the huge traction, they are eating up the suspension real fast.

Michelin on the other hand offers better grip and average life.

Good years have known to be unreliable.

Why don't you try sourcing Bridgestones of the desired size?

Last edited by GTO : 6th July 2013 at 15:44. Reason: Fixing quote
Oranger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2013, 11:59   #13
BHPian

Hi,
Like you Tassem, I changed from steel wheels (15", 5.5J) to alloys (15", 6.5J, i remember the offset being 35) while keeping the same tyres- Kumho Solus KH17 in 185/65 profile.

Grip is so much better, but at the same time, the tyres have become really so noisy (being less flex (5.5J vs 6.5J)). Did you notice the change in road noise when you upsized to alloys?

PS: the odo reads 21k done on these stock Kumho tyres (I used the stock steel wheels for 20k km).

Thanks in advance for your input.

cya around.

Last edited by Absar : 27th August 2013 at 12:01. Reason: add/edit parts
Old 17th September 2013, 07:43   #14
KPS
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

I am looking to get 205/60 R15 tyres for my Verna. These are 0.9% larger than stock and hence, well within limits......

In decreasing importance my requirements are as follows:
  • Dry Grip
  • Wet Grip
  • Strong Sidewalls
  • Comfort
  • Noise
  • Appearance
Hi Tassem,

Which tyres did you finally choose? Just yesterday I noticed a small bubble on the side wall of both tyres in the left side. Since my stock Bridgestone has done 23+K it may be a good idea to change all the tyres. I do not want the Bridgestone as the sidewalls are too soft.

My requirement is just like yours and I would be happy to learn from you, your final choice and recommendation

Thanks

KPS
Old 23rd September 2013, 10:51   #15
BHPian

Hi guys,

I'm sorry about the delayed reply. For some reason, I do not get update mails from this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysus View Post
The purple lady has done a shade over 42K on the odemeter, the tread on the factory fit bridgestones are encouraging and should be fine for another 5K however in recent three of the tires have bulges appear on the sidewall
I have put the clean ones on the front should the tyre explode, while I look for a change. I dont want to get another set of bridgestones and want to try out other options. Trouble is the standard 195/55/R16 is a unique size and not many make it.
Need your assistance in figuring out if its okay to go a size up on the width and get a michelin or Yokohama? My trusted tyre dealer is suggesting a Goodyear Eagle stating they dont bulge like the bridgestones.

This is a catch 22 situation. The stock size is rare and you cannot upsize without affecting the overall tyre size. Upsizing is possible to 205/55 or 205/50. However both these have a 1.x% diameter shift to either side depending on the tyre you choose. (A 205/55 R16 tyre is 1.8% larger in diameter and a 205/50 R16 is smaller by 1.x%)

With 205/50, you increase your chances of scraping speed humps.

With 205/55, there is a possibility that the tyres will scrape the wells when fully loaded and suspension compressed.

Considering all things 205/55 will translate to a lesser compromise than the other.

But, persevering and finding a 195/55 R16 is what I would do in your situation.

Also, try not to mix brands even if they're of the same specs. And never mix sizes.

Of the brands you mentioned, I've heard so many horror stories about all of them. But at the same time, I know a lot of people who're happy with them as well.

Goodyear Eagles come stock on quite a few premium cars as well.

Whichever tyre you buy, get it through changemytyre.com. They offer an unconditional replacement warranty on all tyres for two years. This is independent of the standard manufacturers warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absar View Post
Hi,
Like you Tassem, I changed from steel wheels (15", 5.5J) to alloys (15", 6.5J, i remember the offset being 35) while keeping the same tyres- Kumho Solus KH17 in 185/65 profile.

Grip is so much better, but at the same time, the tyres have become really so noisy (being less flex (5.5J vs 6.5J)). Did you notice the change in road noise when you upsized to alloys?

PS: the odo reads 21k done on these stock Kumho tyres (I used the stock steel wheels for 20k km).

Thanks in advance for your input.

cya around.
Hey,

I did not notice any increase in noise levels. However tyres increase in noise as they get older. Could it be that you're noticing it because you upgraded to alloys and started paying attention to the differences? We all do that. Maybe the noise was always there. The only thing I noticed was better handling due to the increased offset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPS View Post
Hi Tassem,

Which tyres did you finally choose? Just yesterday I noticed a small bubble on the side wall of both tyres in the left side. Since my stock Bridgestone has done 23+K it may be a good idea to change all the tyres. I do not want the Bridgestone as the sidewalls are too soft.

My requirement is just like yours and I would be happy to learn from you, your final choice and recommendation

Thanks

KPS
Hey,

I'm sorry to hear about the bulges.

Sadly, I haven't bought mine yet. But I'm leaning towards Yoko S Drives for now. All things considered, they seem to be very capable tyres, especially in terms of sidewall strength. Only trade-off is noise.

Take a look at changemytyre.com. I'm very impressed by their two year unconditional replacement warranty.

Please do post here if you go ahead with the swap.

Thanks,

Tassem.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks