Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2014, 14:39   #1
Team-BHP Support

Dynamic wheel balancers

I recently came to know about a product called dynamic wheel balancers.
These balance the wheels as the tire rotates.

Normally, on a balanced wheel, if there are rocks etc., struck to the tread, it impacts the balance. However, with these, free moving weights inside the balancer ensures that the system is always balanced.

Has anybody used such a system?
In my opinion this is an excellent (but expensive) way to keep your wheels balanced

A sample system here
http://www.hitchsource.com/centramat...s-p-33635.html
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 12:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Dynamic wheel balancers

Interesting find Tsk.

The first parallel i drew in my mind was those puncture-prevention / tyre sealant goo products. They also claim to offer some "self balancing" advantages, since the goo is free to move around inside the tyre. Example:
Protects Balance: True Goo acts as a good balancing fluid. The low viscosity of True Goo has been engineered to put it in the "Sweet Spot" for tire balancing (if True Goo were thinner it would not balance tires as well, and conversely, if True Goo were thicker it would not balance tires as remarkably as it does). The thin film of True goo that coats the inside of the tire dynamically adjusts to balance the tire as the tire rolls. - Source

Couple of points from the video:
1) At 1:49 - I would like to see him start the rotation of the tyre with both the magnet and the ball bearings on the same side.
2) At 2:50, with the balancing device on - the startup is a bit jerky. (Compare with the smoother 0:28)
3) I wonder if these dynamic balancers operate ideally only, say, at a specific speed, or at a constant speed, or at higher speeds only.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th May 2014 at 12:14.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 12:36   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I wonder if these dynamic balancers operate ideally only, say, at a specific speed, or at a constant speed, or at higher speeds only.

cya
R
my guess is that

Position of weight at startup wouldn't matter once the tyre is in motion. But the below 2 factors will define how fast it stabilises.

The density of the fluid would define how the bearings quickly find and "hold" the optimum balancing positions.

The weight of the bearings would also define how much CF force would be required to put them in position as early as possible. A lighter bearing may not be able to counter higher amplitude of vibration, a heavier one may not be able to counter higher frequency of vibration.

A wheel rpm rating for each product might be the option as against an universal product.

Last edited by absynthguzzler : 11th May 2014 at 12:38.
absynthguzzler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 14:51   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Related thread on dynamic wheel balancing of a Superbike with beads : Link
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2014, 19:58   #5
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
I wonder if these dynamic balancers operate ideally only, say, at a specific speed, or at a constant speed, or at higher speeds only.

cya
R
Quote:
Originally Posted by absynthguzzler View Post
A wheel rpm rating for each product might be the option as against an universal product.
Have discussed a little bit about minimum speeds in my Superbike Balancing thread.

Have nothing against Centramatic balancers since fixed bearing balancers have been working well in most washing machines quite successfully.

My issue is with the idealization of the issue, tire imbalance. If you see the video, the tire is floating freely. If only real life was like that. Since the tire rolls on a surface, the inertial action of the imbalance causes the vibration, which I FEEL might make the centramatic take longer to achieve balance.

The beads, on the other hand, since they are freely floating inside the tire, are acted on by both centripetal and inertial forces, distributing them in the lower side faster.

I have had very good results on all my Superbike tires with the beads.

Dunno if the threads will be merged, but thought I would share the info regarding the bead manufacturer. Mods, please do the needful.

I sourced from :
http://www.jyoticeramic.com/content/zircosil.htm

Jyoti Ceramics, Nashik. The product is Zircosil, and are available in different sizes. I would recommend large size for Offroad tire applications.

Cheers
gthang is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks