Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2006, 13:28   #1
BHPian

Does an upgrade from 14 to 15" affect suspensions

Hey guys

I have gone for an upgrade to 15 inchers on my NNHC Zx...My tyres being the yokos 205/55/15....

My question to all the gurus being how much is it gonna affect my suspensions in the long run.

Thanx in advance

mike
Old 16th July 2006, 13:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Depends on where and how you drive your car.

On smooth surfaces, it won't make a diff.

But if you're gonna be driving hard on broken roads, then the suspension might pack up a little quicker than usual since the lower profile tyres wont provide the same level of cushioning as a high profile tyre would.

Moreover, your tyre may also get damaged since they weren't designed to handle that kind of torture.

Make sure you take extra care when tackling bad roads. These tyres work best when they're being driven on express highways or smooth winding roads.

Shan2nu
Old 16th July 2006, 14:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

Mike3D
Since you have widened your tyre to 205, What is the impact on your fuel efficiency?
Also what was original size?

I am also planning to upsize my tyre from 195/65/15 to 215/60/15 but am worried about drop in mileage.
Old 16th July 2006, 14:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

But if you're gonna be driving hard on broken roads, then the suspension might pack up a little quicker than usual since the lower profile tyres wont provide the same level of cushioning as a high profile tyre would.

Moreover, your tyre may also get damaged since they weren't designed to handle that kind of torture.

Make sure you take extra care when tackling bad roads. These tyres work best when they're being driven on express highways or smooth winding roads.

Shan2nu

Thanx Shan2nu

My drivin is mostly in and around city ...i do not take it much on the xpressways..but that info of yours really helped...

cause lately i started thinkin whether i ve made a wrong decision by going in for an upgrade?
Old 16th July 2006, 15:01   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Mike3D
Since you have widened your tyre to 205, What is the impact on your fuel efficiency?
Also what was original size?

I am also planning to upsize my tyre from 195/65/15 to 215/60/15 but am worried about drop in mileage.
The upgrade has costed me by the FE dropping down by 1 kmpl...and the stock tyres were 175 / 65 R14

mike
Old 16th July 2006, 17:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The upgrade has costed me by the FE dropping down by 1 kmpl...and the stock tyres were 175 / 65 R14
Well, i wouldn't believe so. Part of it is depedant on the size of the wheel. Buy upgrading to 205/55 R15, you've increased your overall circumference by 3%.

So, if you travel 100kms (true distance), your odo would read less bcoz the bigger wheels would have revolved lesser number of times compared to the smaller OE wheels.

So, for every 15kms you travel, your odo will show 0.45kms less. Which means that you've travelled almost the same distance on a litre of fuel as before but....... since your calculations are based on your odo readings, it'l show a reduce in FE. Your FE hasn't dropped by 1 kmpl but less than that.

Same goes for your speedo reading. Your true speed will be more than what your speedo is showing. So, if you do 160kmph, it would most definately mean your doing 160 or more (true speed).

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 16th July 2006 at 17:11.
Old 16th July 2006, 19:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

One upsize is safe i guess, and 15" ain't that bad as it comes stock with most cars these days.
Old 17th July 2006, 00:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu

Shan2nu

absolutely right...lower the profile...lesser the comfort...but better the looks...it all depends what u r serious about...whetrher the sporty look with bigger rims & low profile tyres or smaller rims with more comfort for the cabin...it is a matter of personal choice...make a good one ...
cheers
Old 17th July 2006, 15:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

What about just upsizing of tyres - ie. say 2cm, widder tyre on the same std alloy?

A change of 195/65/15 to 215/60/15 with circumference difference of only 0.71%.
How will that affect Mileage, Ride quality, Comfort, driving Dynamics and suspension...?
Old 17th July 2006, 20:24   #10
BHPian

then i guess my decision for the upgrade was not at all wrong...thanx to all the pros around especially shan2nu....helped me a lot in avoiding all those sleepless nights.

mike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks