Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2015, 16:23   #16
BHPian

Re: Bent Rim after hitting a pothole - What effect will it have on the tyre?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Isn't it better to replace the rim as such rather than repairing it?

AFAIK, it is not advised to use a rim that got bent after a hit.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
Yes even I thought so. Since the rim does not cost big, I thought of replacing it with a new one. But the A.S.S Adviser very strongly suggested that nothing will happen and in fact nothing had happened and the rim was running fine for over 20k kms till i sold the car.

I was wondering what will happen if it was an alloy wheel. I really don't know how it reacts when it hits a pothole.
Old 14th January 2015, 16:30   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I was wondering what will happen if it was an alloy wheel. I really don't know how it reacts when it hits a pothole.
Depends on the speed during impact, how large was the pothole and what was the air pressure maintained all influence the worthiness of the tyre or rim or alloy.

Generally if the impact is high the alloy cracks rending it useless.
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2015, 17:06   #18
BHPian

My vista QJD R14 rim was bent and was soo bad that I had to completely replace it. Bought a new one for INR 900 from GP road, Chennai.

My Advice : any bend on the edge can e managed by hammering back otherwise better to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Bent Rim after hitting a pothole - What effect will it have on the tyre?-bent_wheel_rim.jpg  

Last edited by faridsahmed : 14th January 2015 at 17:07. Reason: Image added
faridsahmed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2019, 16:25   #19
BHPian

My Verna hit a pothole on the Mulund-Bhandup stretch of the Eastern Express Highway (Mumbai) on the night of 13th Sept. It was dark, had poured sometime back filling up the potholes in the stretch with water making it difficult to gauge the pothole. I was driving at a speed of around 50kmph. Didn't realize anything then but on having a look next morning i found the front left wheel punctured.

Took it to my trusted local 'Tyre Wala' and on opening it up we found a deep crack in the inside surface of the alloy wheel - about 3-4 inches wide and half an inch wide (picture attached)

I know tyres are not covered under warranty but on inquiring with the dealer i was told that even wheels are not covered. Please shed some light on this. The only option i have now would be to claim it under insurance.

I am really surprised that an alloy wheel could just crack open just like this. Should i be bring the same to Hyundai's notice ?

Please advice.
Attached Thumbnails
Bent Rim after hitting a pothole - What effect will it have on the tyre?-20190918_0902422.jpg  

Old 19th September 2019, 22:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatientMan View Post
My Verna hit a pothole on the Mulund-Bhandup stretch of the Eastern Express Highway (Mumbai) on the night of 13th Sept. It was dark, had poured sometime back filling up the potholes in the stretch with water making it difficult to gauge the pothole. I was driving at a speed of around 50kmph. Didn't realize anything then but on having a look next morning i found the front left wheel punctured.

Took it to my trusted local 'Tyre Wala' and on opening it up we found a deep crack in the inside surface of the alloy wheel - about 3-4 inches wide and half an inch wide (picture attached)

I know tyres are not covered under warranty but on inquiring with the dealer i was told that even wheels are not covered. Please shed some light on this. The only option i have now would be to claim it under insurance.

I am really surprised that an alloy wheel could just crack open just like this. Should i be bring the same to Hyundai's notice ?

Please advice.
Hi,
Your alloy rim probably hit a pothole edge and cracked up under impact. Although metal rims too might crack on very rare occasions but less likelier than an alloy rim which is not as malleable as iron ones. In this instance, Hyundai too won't be able to extend any help except for some discount on a new alloy rim, if any. You need to buy a new rim and a tyre. The rims and tyres are covered by insurance only if you've opted for IMT-23 endorsement on your policy but only upto 50% of the value and it is available only for commercial vehicles and not private ones.
RoarOnRoad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2019, 10:51   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePatientMan View Post

Please advice.
Nothing you can do. It is like going and ramming your car into a wall and then claiming a bumper under "warranty".

Warranty protects you from manufacturing defects. How can ramming your car and wheel in a pothole and then damaging your wheel be a "manufacturing defect"?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks