Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2006, 10:33   #1
BHPian

I know that if u change the rim the wheels can be made to stickk out. But I wanted to know if it is possible to make the wheels of a car stick out using the same rims and tyres...... maybe by using spacers at the mounting or some other way!? or is changing the rim/tyre the only option!?
My cousin has a new Tuscon.... He doesn't want bigger or wider tyres but wants them to stick out a bit. Since the OE alloys are already very good... We really don't wanna change them. Please help!
Old 2nd May 2009, 01:17   #2
BHPian

Spacers wouldn't help because the nuts will not have enough grip on the bolts. Modern cars do not have extra long bolts like trucks. Instead you have these nuts with crowns, looks matters you know! An ill advised option is to remove the old bolt and weld longer ones. Mind you I said ill advised. Bottom line is: banish the thought of sticking out the tyres with stock wheel/rim and tyre.
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:40   #3
BANNED

Welding is out of question. Try for a thin spacer or go for a different set of alloys with more width or different offset.
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:49   #4
Team-BHP Support

Spacers would contribute a negative effect on suspension.
Old 2nd May 2009, 08:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Only safe option is to use lower offset alloys.
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:42   #6
BHPian

There are ways but all will spoil the balancing of the car and thus make it unstable, if your friend wants the tuscon to look macho off-roader, then there are special rims and tyres for that, these rims are extremly broad and the tyres are also very thick and made for off-roads, but then having such wide tyres will not help in turning the car at low speeds, also such tyres will provide grip mostly not on roads but off them. For wide rims with wide road tyres, you will again have the same problem, not able to turn at low speeds, even with a power steering it will be difficult.
Old 2nd May 2009, 09:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

buy negative offset alloys but will touch the body on a bump so think before doing this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks