Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2006, 17:00   #1
BHPian

After 45k on the odo, the tyres on my Matiz need replacement. Planning to go with the stock size replacement (145/65 R 13). Any suggestions??? Please note that the car doesn't have power steering and anything that increases steering effort is not very likeable.

The rims also look worn out and have a lot of bends (courtesy bangalore road potholes, I think). Should I change them or get them repaired?

From the service manual I saw that the current rim size is 4.5J. Searched the manual for offset and PCD information but couldn't find it. Does anybody know what the offset and PCD for a Matiz rim is? Otherwise, I will have to measure it (PCD is easy, offset may be a little difficult).

Also, do the rims of santro, alto, wagon-R or some other car come with same size, offset and PCD, so that it could be a direct fit? If so, any ideas on how much the price of the same is?
Old 21st September 2006, 19:44   #2

Hey,

I think there was a thread already on this.. nevertheless.. I am running my Matiz on 155/70/R13 tubeless and have not felt any difference on the steering (even I drive a non PS) If I remember it right the PCD is 100 and can take up to 5.5J. Alloys, make more sense if u plan to retain the car for a year or two more.. The Lxi Baleno alloys can go directly on to Matiz (The 13" wheels)
Old 21st September 2006, 20:39   #3
Senior - BHPian

I too changed my stock tyres at 45k to bridgestone s322 tubed tyres 155/70/R13.Mine too is non PS.I actually found it a better drive when I upgraded the tyre size.

For wider tyre.You can also put the Wagon r VXi model tyres on the Matiz 165/65 or 60 not sure/R13.The downside is lower ground clearance which is already not great in Matiz.
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:04   #4
BHPian

Thanks with more questions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishfaction
I am running my Matiz on 155/70/R13 tubeless and have not felt any difference on the steering (even I drive a non PS) If I remember it right the PCD is 100 and can take up to 5.5J. Alloys, make more sense if u plan to retain the car for a year or two more.. The Lxi Baleno alloys can go directly on to Matiz (The 13" wheels)
Thanks sathishfaction!

Can you answer a couple of more questions:
1. As per the circumference calculation 155/70/R13 is almost 5.5% bigger than the stock size. Doesn't this cause reduction in pulling power of the car (torque)?
2. Are you running tubeless on steel rims? Or, Alloys?
3. Does offset of baleno Lxi match matiz? Or, it is so close that it does not matter much!

Cheers!
Su-47
Old 22nd September 2006, 10:19   #5
BHPian

Thanks, and a couple of more questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
I too changed my stock tyres at 45k to bridgestone s322 tubed tyres 155/70/R13.Mine too is non PS.I actually found it a better drive when I upgraded the tyre size.

For wider tyre.You can also put the Wagon r VXi model tyres on the Matiz 165/65 or 60 not sure/R13.The downside is lower ground clearance which is already not great in Matiz.
Wagon R is R13, but I don't think I need wider tryres.

Oh! you also have upgraded to the same size as satishfaction. So, the same question to you too! Doesn't the pulling power come down? BTW, which were the OEM tyres (make and size) on your car that you replaced with Bridgestone?

Whatever you guys have mentioned about the steering effort remaining the same is surprisingly good! Perhaps the tyres have improved and have a lower weight than earlier stock ones.

Satishfaction, what was the OEM make and size and what is the current brand you are running on?

Thanks a lot guys!
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
Thanks sathishfaction!

Can you answer a couple of more questions:
1. As per the circumference calculation 155/70/R13 is almost 5.5% bigger than the stock size. Doesn't this cause reduction in pulling power of the car (torque)?
2. Are you running tubeless on steel rims? Or, Alloys?
3. Does offset of baleno Lxi match matiz? Or, it is so close that it does not matter much!

Cheers!
Su-47
1. It might but for sure it is not perceivable
2. Tubeless on Stock steel Rims
3. I have swapped them and they were just fitting but didnt like the pattern so did not make the switch over! Still running on stock rims with tubeless tyres..
Old 22nd September 2006, 13:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47

Satishfaction, what was the OEM make and size and what is the current brand you are running on?

Thanks a lot guys!
The OEM was 145/70/R13. I still have the one in the spare wheel (tubetype). I have been using Apollo Accelere 155/70/R13 (Tubeless) for the past year and half. Good performance (May be I am lucky!!). Infact, I believe that with the speeds we do (read as below 100kpmph), any tyre would be good enough.. If you are worried about handling, then it would be suspension provided you dont have bald tyres!!
Old 25th September 2006, 10:12   #8
BHPian

Some findings...

I decided to measure the PCD and offset values for my rim, so that anybody looking for this information is spared of the trouble. Contrary to my expectation, finding offset was easy. It is stamped on the rim. ET 45. And that, I think means offset is 45mm.

Coming back to PCD, I measured it (using a digital calliper) and found that it is 114.31mm. I was wondering what kind of PCD is that?? I expected some number like 100, 104.

Then, I divided this number by 25.4 and came to know that it is 4.50 inches. Wondering, when will the world go metric !!!

Rim Summary (for a Oct 2001 Matiz):
Width: 4.5"
PCD: 114.3mm (4.5")
Offset: +45mm.
Rim Contour: J
Diameter: 13"
Number of bolts: 4

All said, I dont know when will I use this information and go shopping!

Cheers,
Su-47
Old 25th September 2006, 11:50   #9
BHPian

Su, I am planning to go for alloys + fresh tyres for my Matiz (July 2000) which has completed almost 50K on the odo. I think I'm deciding on Michelin Certis 155/70/R13.

M
Old 26th September 2006, 10:08   #10
BHPian

Mods,

Discussion on this topic is similar to: Tyres/Alloys for Matiz.
Please merge this thread with the above mentioned one.

Thanks,
Su-47
Old 26th September 2006, 11:41   #11
BHPian

Questions again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
Su, I am planning to go for alloys + fresh tyres for my Matiz (July 2000) which has completed almost 50K on the odo. I think I'm deciding on Michelin Certis 155/70/R13.

M
Which make for alloys have you decided? Siam (as mentioned in the other thread) or something else? Do let me know how much did they cost?

How much do Michelin Certis Cost? And, why you chose them over Bridgestone? I am not questioning your choice but trying to understand the factors that made you choose michelin over stock-bridgestone. Other than your Avatar, of course

Thanks!
Su-47
Old 11th October 2006, 18:45   #12
Senior - BHPian

Facing a serious problem of over steer[correct me if i am wrong]

The moment i hit a pothole[not the big craters] while driving at above 60kmph the car veers sideways and i am left with absolutely no control.Nearly hit a divider.
This is a serious and dangerous problem while driving on the highways.Hey any quickfix solution available.Do you have this problem on other cars which upgrade to a wider tyre profile than the company one.

Tyre now is bridgestone s322, 155/70/R13.Original size was 145/70/R13.And yes car= Daewoo Matiz

Actually found this post as well right now[ but I am not sure is it under steer or over steer in my case],if mods could please merge these threads.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ght=matiz+tyre

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 11th October 2006 at 18:56.
Old 11th October 2006, 19:03   #13
BHPian

Su,

i have not yet changed them. my mechanic has suggested that some suspension work is needed first, else the new tyre life will be compromised. that should happen by this month end.

actually i am strictly going by brandnames. i decided to opt for bridgestone/michelin/goodyear. i thought the bridgestone S322 were 'tubed'. i liked the look of 'potenzas', but they were too costly 2800 per piece. so settled for Certis. haven't looked at goodyear yet. frankly i don't think it makes perceptible differences.

i don't think i can afford something more than Siam alloys. already wify is questioning the logic of sinking 20k into a car worth 60k :(

Rahul, sorry, i can't help you now.

Last edited by Minardi : 11th October 2006 at 19:05.
Old 11th October 2006, 19:25   #14
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
i thought the bridgestone S322 were 'tubed'.
Actually I have fitted the tubeless S322 (stock size, 155/70 R13) in my Santro last month, with stock steel rims. But the funny thing is that even the official Bridgestone India website only suggests the tubed S322 in the stock size for Santro, but also suggests 165/65 R 13 in either tubed or tubeless version as upsize. So the 155/70 R13 tubeless S322 may be a new product, which has not yet made it to the Bridgestone India website. I wonder if anybody else has used these tyres, especially for the Santro. I took my tyres from Unitread (East Street, Pune). The tyres offer fantastic grip, and are more than good enough for my Santro. So far the tyre pressures are holding well --no appreciable loss in my weekly checks -- hope this lasts.
Old 12th October 2006, 01:03   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
The moment i hit a pothole[not the big craters] while driving at above 60kmph the car veers sideways and i am left with absolutely no control.Nearly hit a divider.
This is a serious and dangerous problem while driving on the highways.Hey any quickfix solution available.Do you have this problem on other cars which upgrade to a wider tyre profile than the company one.
Tyre now is bridgestone s322, 155/70/R13.Original size was 145/70/R13.And yes car= Daewoo Matiz
I don't know what the problem is, precisely. But here is what I think:
1. Wrong upsize -- should have chosen 155/65 R13
2. For under-powered car like Matiz, with no power-steering -- don't upsize, but if you must, should have gone for tubeless and alloys -- the reduction in weight due to alloys and tubeless would have compensated for the upsize and would have given you much better handling. But with stock rims, at least tubeless would have given you better steering/handling, provided your rims are in shape and not rusted.
3. Only other suggestion I can make is check your suspension/alignment/balancing and also check your rims to see if they are bent.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks