Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2022, 14:25   #46
BHPian

Re: Correlation between Punctures & Tyre Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahul Bhalgat View Post
Since you have already driven this tyre on a rough road after repairing the puncture, I think it is good to go. To be sure, check if the air pressure has dropped.

And another solution is to put this tyre as spare for the upcoming trip. That will give you peace of mind.

Edit: Noticed just now that yours is an old post. By the way, what did you do finally?
The journey was fortunately trouble free. Checked the tyres by physically pressing before starting the drive in early morning and found tyres were good to go.

In Mid sept i bought one MGP make tyre inflator. I used it twice to make up the pressure instead of doing it at petrol pumps, just to ensure it is properly functioning.

My route was Gurgaon Basai->Jhajhar AIIMS->Badli->KMP->Murthal early morning Breakfast at Amrik Sukhdev->Panipat->Zirakpur->Solan->Shimla->Fagu.

We had to face bumper to bumper traffic jam in Shimla for about 1.5 hours. Had to manage using handbrake! HPTDC hotel entrance ramp at Fagu was under black ice. But didn't face any trouble climbing in first gear.

We did some local travel to Kufri and Theog in light snowfall. Drove very carefully and didn't face any trouble. For 2 nights the car was covered by 1/2-1 inch snow. I was worried due to this temperature change. However, there was no leakage from the tyres.

In return journey, had to drive on thin layer of snow for about 10 km. We followed Shoghi bypass while returning, hardly saw any car and was feeling little worried. However, reached the plains without any trouble. The tyre pressure was at 29~30 psi when I visited next fuel station for the refilling. A tankful run of 700 km+ is the norm for my Swift!

I have a plan to go to Leh-Ladakh in end of May/June, 2022 with my Swift. I would like to request for suggestions about this tyre condition for Gurgaon to Leh via Manali and a safe return. 3 tyres have 1~2 punctures. Stepney is still unused (oct, 2016 make of the car). The MASS guys in Gurgaon are pathetic. Despite of asking them to rotate the tyres as per the manual and use the Stepney, they just crossed it (front left goes to rear right, front right goes to rear left).

Whether this Stepney is still reliable in this unused condition of 5 years+? I keep it filled in regular intervals otherwise.

Tyre make is Apollo Amazer 3G, 165/80 R14. Tread indicators are good. Car has run for 21K.

Last edited by RijuC : 16th January 2022 at 14:29.
Old 16th January 2022, 15:55   #47
Senior - BHPian

Re: Correlation between Punctures & Tyre Life?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RijuC View Post
The journey was fortunately trouble free. Checked the tyres by physically pressing before starting the drive in early morning and found tyres were good to go.

I have a plan to go to Leh-Ladakh in end of May/June, 2022 with my Swift. I would like to request for suggestions about this tyre condition for Gurgaon to Leh via Manali and a safe return. 3 tyres have 1~2 punctures. Stepney is still unused (oct, 2016 make of the car). The MASS guys in Gurgaon are pathetic. Despite of asking them to rotate the tyres as per the manual and use the Stepney, they just crossed it (front left goes to rear right, front right goes to rear left).

Whether this Stepney is still reliable in this unused condition of 5 years+? I keep it filled in regular intervals otherwise.

Tyre make is Apollo Amazer 3G, 165/80 R14. Tread indicators are good. Car has run for 21K.
Tyres haven't run much, just 21k. But by June 22, they will be almost 6 years old. So better to have a new set of tyres for a long trip.

If the tyre rubber hasn't become hard, if these are no micro cracks (ot other defects) and if the tyres aren't worn till the treadwear indicator, you may cotinue for a few thousand km of careful use to postpone the spending.

Having 1 or 2 punctures in past won't create problem. This much is normal in 5 - 6 years old tyres. The tyres will be due for replacement basically because of age. But being on the borderline, you can use them for some time (subject to good condition) with proper care.

For tyre rotation, I always go to an independent tyre shop. They do what you tell (5-tyre rotation) and charge reasonably. Till last year, I used to give ₹ 100 for a 5-tyre rotation. The MASS charges vey high for wheel alignment, balancing and rotation.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks