Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2016, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

The man behind the wheel: Biography of Apollo Tyres' Kanwar

Onkar S. Kanwar, founder of Apollo Tyres, has launched his biography - The man behind the wheel. The biography, which is composed by writer Tim Bouquet, offers an insight into the struggles of the industrialist and his journey of starting Apollo Tyres from scratch in 1974 to making it a global player.

Kanwar, who is currently the chairman and CEO of Apollo Tyres, has been at the helm of the company ever since its inception. He has lead Apollo Tyres from a single-plant manufacturing firm to a multinational enterprise with six plants worldwide. The biography also talks about the initial days of Apollo Tyres and Kanwar's struggles in building factories at Vadodara and Chennai, and eventually taking it to the global level with production plants in Netherlands and Hungary.

Apollo Tyres reported a year-on-year profit growth of 12% in FY 2015-16, with its total revenue amounting to Rs. 11,708 crore and a net profit of Rs. 1,093 crore. It is currently the 17th largest tyre manufacturer in the world.

Source: ET Auto

The man behind the wheel: Biography of Apollo Tyres' Kanwar-onkarsinghkanwarchairmanapollotyresltd.jpg

Link to Team-BHP News
dZired is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 10:26   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: The man behind the wheel: Biography of Apollo Tyres' Kanwar

Many thanks for sharing, Bhavik! As someone who's a voracious reader & loves books on cars / business, I've placed an order. Will update this thread with a review, but it'll take some time (as I'm currently reading another book).

Sucks that it's not available on Kindle though. I hate paper:
The man behind the wheel: Biography of Apollo Tyres' Kanwar-capture.jpg
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2017, 16:28   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I've placed an order. Will update this thread with a review, but it'll take some time (as I'm currently reading another book)
So, I completed the book. Would rate it as 'decent', but certainly not 'excellent'.

It's a good read if you want to know more about how the giant 'Apollo Tyres' was created. On the flip side, the author is clearly a fan of the family. Comes out as too biased in many ways. Some paragraphs appear like they've been written by a public relations professional.

Don't expect much criticism, controversy or depth in this book. Still, a decent read on Apollo. I don't consider my time wasted.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2017 at 16:31.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 20:21   #4
Team-BHP Support

Came across this article on Onkar Singh's father Raunaq Singh -

Had To Sell Wife's Jewellery For Rs. 8,000, Then Created A Multi-Million Firm From Scratch
https://www.kenfolios.com/sell-wifes...-firm-scratch/

Not exactly a Riches To Rags To Riches story, because Rs. 8,000 was a decent sum in 1950s. Approximately equal to Rs. 40 Lacs in today's money, assuming 10% inflation.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks