Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2017, 16:37   #1

Need just 1 tyre for my Audi, but model isn't available locally. Now what?

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted some help with regards to sourcing a particular tyre.

The Tyre in question is a Bridgestone Dueler Sport 215/65 R16 98V.

Till sometime back, the was OEM fitment on the top-end Audi Q3. Unfortunately for me, one of the tyres in my copy just suffered irreparable damage en-route to Mumbai.

I have checked with Audi, and they say that this is not available in India and will have to be imported at a cost of a whopping 50K with fitting.

Now a similar tyre, albeit from a different manufacturer and a lower speed rating (T) is available at about 10K.

But, I'm uncomfortable with doing that, as it will not match the tread pattern of the other 3 tyres and may also lead to uneven tyre wear.

I have literally checked everywhere and cannot seem to find it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

PS: I'm located in Mumbai.
Old 12th January 2017, 17:02   #2
BHPian

re: Need just 1 tyre for my Audi, but model isn't available locally. Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSarkar View Post
I have checked with Audi, and they say that this is not available in India and will have to be imported at a cost of a whopping 50K with fitting.
Unfortunately the OEM's are very expensive for replacement tires. And since these are tires not commonly available in the Indian market, these guys have a bit of a free run.

Best option would be to contact a reputed tire store in Bombay and ask them. If you are fixated on only the same make of tire - they will probably be able to source you a grey market one for a cheaper price that Audi but not cheap.

If that fails, I have used tirerack and mytyres.co.uk in the past for odd sizes and it worked out cheaper shipping those to India than buying them here.

Another option to consider is changing all four or five tires to a series available in India. If I'm correct the Michelin Latitude Tour HP comes in the size you mentioned and should cost you 10-15k a piece. You will have to check the load index.
VellVector is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 02:46   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Need just 1 tyre for my Audi, but model isn't available locally. Now what?

Quote:
But, I'm uncomfortable with doing that, as it will not match the tread pattern of the other 3 tyres and may also lead to uneven tyre wear.
Sucks. You have the following options:

1. What about your spare? I always recommend buying tyres & wheels in a set of 5. Of course, with European cars going the space-saver route, this isn't always possible.

2. Call all the big tyre dealers (including Saifee Tyres) and see if they can source one for you. Tell them about your predicament and that you'll be willing to pay a premium.

3. Buy that single tyre online. This thread has a lot of information - link.

If the other 3 tyres are nearing the end of their usable life, you might be in luck. But I have a feeling that's not the case.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 06:56   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Given their exorbitant quote, you would be better off buying another brand of tyre of the same size for around 25000 Rs for 4 tyres (online) and then fitting them!
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 08:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VellVector View Post
Unfortunately the OEM's are very expensive for replacement tires. And since these are tires not commonly available in the Indian market, these guys have a bit of a free run.

Best option would be to contact a reputed tire store in Bombay and ask them. If you are fixated on only the same make of tire - they will probably be able to source you a grey market one for a cheaper price that Audi but not cheap.

If that fails, I have used tirerack and mytyres.co.uk in the past for odd sizes and it worked out cheaper shipping those to India than buying them here.

Another option to consider is changing all four or five tires to a series available in India. If I'm correct the Michelin Latitude Tour HP comes in the size you mentioned and should cost you 10-15k a piece. You will have to check the load index.

Tried getting in touch with some big local guys, they flat out refuse. I did try tyrerack an mytyres. Rather surprisingly, even they don't have it! Got a random hit from a website called pennine service station in Blackburn. 100 pounds for the tyre, 150 for shipping !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Sucks. You have the following options:

1. What about your spare? I always recommend buying tyres & wheels in a set of 5. Of course, with European cars going the space-saver route, this isn't always possible.

2. Call all the big tyre dealers (including Saifee Tyres) and see if they can source one for you. Tell them about your predicament and that you'll be willing to pay a premium.

3. Buy that single tyre online. This thread has a lot of information - link.

If the other 3 tyres are nearing the end of their usable life, you might be in luck. But I have a feeling that's not the case.

1. Spare tyre is of a smaller size annoyingly, I don't understand why these guys would do this in a 40 L vehicle.

2. Spoke to Saifee yesterday, flat out refused, not even available on order.

3. I would, if it were available, most hits are from U.K. With amazingly foolish prices for shipping. Comes to the core pricing available from Audi. Why go through the trouble.

4. Overall mileage on the car is just about 18K. So the other tyres are almost new! This one tyre was a freak accident I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Given their exorbitant quote, you would be better off buying another brand of tyre of the same size for around 25000 Rs for 4 tyres (online) and then fitting them!

I'd do that, the problem is that, I'm just not able to find V rated tyres in that size.

Alas, I think I'm left with just two options.

1. Trying the CST/Kurla salvage market - extremely uncomfortable buying a tyre from a yard that essentially deals with accident damage salvage parts.

2. Going for a similar model with a lower speed rating - check with a fairly big dealer in Mulund, this guy said he will give me a tyre by the same company, same tread albeit a lower speed rating, I think T or H

Thoughts?
Old 13th January 2017, 10:16   #6
BHPian

How about getting two tyres and keeping one of the Bridgestones as a backup, though tyre rotation becomes an issue.

http://tyres.cardekho.com/pirelli/sc...6-98v-tubeless
Old 13th January 2017, 10:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I have literally checked everywhere and cannot seem to find it.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

PS: I'm located in Mumbai.
Since your car has done 18-19k already. The tyres are about 2/3rds done I would say. Rather than have one different tyre, or even two different tyres. I'd say change all 4, you can get 4 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs for less than what Audi quoted you for the one tyre. Anyway to have a new tyre while the rest have run 18k kms is a bit much.

I've used the Michelins and they are excellent.

The Michelins are H rated, which is till 210kmph. I don't think you will be crossing that, so you should be fine.
Akshay1234 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 10:41   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay1234 View Post
Since your car has done 18-19k already. The tyres are about 2/3rds done I would say. Rather than have one different tyre, or even two different tyres. I'd say change all 4, you can get 4 Michelin Latitude Tour HPs for less than what Audi quoted you for the one tyre. Anyway to have a new tyre while the rest have run 18k kms is a bit much.

I've used the Michelins and they are excellent.

The Michelins are H rated, which is till 210kmph. I don't think you will be crossing that, so you should be fine.
18K is much?

Audi told me that the tyres would be good for about 50K kms when I purchased it!!

And, honestly, atleast visually the other 3 tyres look like they can be sold as new with some cleaning and polishing!

Will explore the Michelins though.
Old 13th January 2017, 10:54   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Just wanted some help with regards to sourcing a particular tyre.

The Tyre in question is a Bridgestone Dueler Sport 215/65 R16 98V.
I checked here in BLR. Dealer says 98V is available only in Pirelli. He says between the two, matching the speed rating more important than tread pattern.

Last edited by condor : 13th January 2017 at 10:58.
condor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 11:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
I checked here in BLR. Dealer says 98V is available only in Pirelli. He says between the two, matching the speed rating more important than tread pattern.
Bridgestone Dueler- (NOT Sport) 215/65 R16 98H is available on Amazon India. Just check the thread pattern matches. As far as speed rating is concerned, You can very well use an H rating in place of V rating.
H - 210 KM/Hr
V - 240 KM/Hr
Sree73 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 11:45   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
18K is much?
I will go with Akshay's suggestion. Visibly these may look brand new but you can know actual Tread depth by measuring only. Normally these should last 35--40 K.
Turbanator is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 11:51   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

18K is a bit early to replace but by no means should you take your dealer's 50,000 km assurance at face value. I change at around 30,000 km/4 years- the maximum you can stretch is 5-10K more. 50k is pushing it!

If that's too much, maybe you can change 2 tyres and keep the good tyre as spare?
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 11:52   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Audi told me that the tyres would be good for about 50K kms when I purchased it!!
It may last upto 50K on a smaller car like the Q3. However going by my experience with these segment of cars. 30K is more realistic with our roads. With the ML/GL size cars, the tires reach their end of like in 30k.
VellVector is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 12:17   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
Bridgestone Dueler- (NOT Sport) 215/65 R16 98H is available on Amazon India. Just check the thread pattern matches. As far as speed rating is concerned, You can very well use an H rating in place of V rating.
H - 210 KM/Hr
V - 240 KM/Hr

Surprising you should mention that. I ordered from them on Tuesday, They delivered on Wednesday.

So far so good, online the tread pattern and specifications matched except for it was 'H' which is fine.

When I opened the awesome packaging, guess what I find.

A shiny new Yokohama 215/55 R16

I'm now trying to figure out how to return it. Have asked them to pick it up. Unfortunately they have '24 hr' delivery, no such luck when it come to returning.
SSarkar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2017, 12:26   #15
BHPian

Quote:
A shiny new Yokohama 215/55 R16

I'm now trying to figure out how to return it. Have asked them to pick it up. Unfortunately they have '24 hr' delivery, no such luck when it come to returning.
Oops. Such level of wrong product delivery?
Got the Manufacturer and size wrong. Tyre is not a commodity generally for online purchases.
Sree73 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks