Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2004, 00:12   #1
BHPian

I am thinking of fitting alloys couple of months down the line for my Fiat Petra. I spoke to a local shop here in chennai which was dealing with Aura alloy wheels. *The chap quoted 14500/ for a set of 5 new alloy wheels. Is that a good deal *? Is Aura a good choice ?

How much do the old steel rims usually fetch when sold ?

Is going for alloys really worth it ? what are the noticeable benefits (apart from the enhanced looks) ?

would be delighted to hear all your expert opinions
-Beetle
Old 8th July 2004, 02:22   #2
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Alloys would reduce the unsprung weight of your car & handling will be better marginally though. Also your FE may improve..again very very marginally.

Your old rims would fetch you at the most 300-400 per piece that too if in good condition.
Old 8th July 2004, 03:18   #3
Team-BHP Support

Hey Beetle,

Rs 14,500 sounds like a good price for 5 wheels, since imported wheels would be around 15k for five 13" wheels. (Though check with other aura dealers)

Is Aura a good choice? Well yes. Dont worry about it at all, all the aura and neo wheels manufactured in india and done so under strict international standards, and tested a lot.

How much do the steel rims sell for ? Well they usually sell at something like Rs8/- per kg of steel!

Now the two important questions are -
1. Are you going to get different/tubeless tires?
2. Are you going up one inch from your steel wheels or staying the same size?

The advantages of alloys.... well the only real noticeable advantage other than the looks is that when you go for an upsize u notice a definite difference in your cars steering response.
Other advantages are -
Lighter, so better FE, less unsprung weight, so better road holding, less momentum so better braking etc etc
Good at dissipating heat, so they keep your brakes cooler, hence they are less prone to brake fade. Plus most alloy designs provide more breathing room for the brakes than a closed steel wheel.
And the last advantage is that alloy wheels dont rust like steel wheels, hence the contact between the rim and the bead (of a tubeless tire) is much better, and hence advantageous for tubeless tires.

Personally, i stongly suggest the tire half of the alloys&tires combo.
The tubeless tires will provide you much better safety, and more grip is a real blessing, for both, driving fast and safety.
So think about that.

cya
R
Old 8th July 2004, 15:02   #4
BHPian

I think 14K for Aura 5 pc set is good price. Aura is made by hindalco in india and its got guarantee for 1yr. When my Aura alloys developed a problem with finish after 1.5 yrs the company gave me a replacement for all the 5 wheels without asking a question.
-Chaxy
Old 8th July 2004, 20:47   #5
BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the advice folks . I will go with Aura when i change to alloy wheels.

Rehaan, Here are the answers to your *questions
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]1. Are you going to get different/tubeless tires ?
No plans as of now.New tires might make the whole deal very expensive for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]2. Are you going up one inch from your steel wheels or staying the same size?
I have 14" 175*65*R14 tires , do you think they are wide enough or should i change to a bigger size ?

-Beetle
Old 8th July 2004, 21:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Hi Beetle,

Well honestly, how wide your tires are have little to do with anything.
In this case there are two factors, safety and grip (=safety+fun)
The bridgestones that come with the petra are not bad tires at all, however, if you plan to travel long distances at high speeds, tubeless tires would be a much safer option.
Also, if you are changing your tires it also makes sense to spend a little more and get some good grippy tubeless tires which will improve your cars cornering and braking abilities.

I do agree that this increases the expense a whole lot, but think about it with respect to how your car is going to be used.

cya
R
Old 8th July 2004, 23:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] ]The bridgestones that come with the petra are not bad tires at all
Beetle, they are ok till you don't try some hard cornering or high speed tactics. On curvy roads, especially ghat sections, bridgestones (i am guessing they are S322s or similar ones) aren't known to be very grippy so you will encounter mild understeer during high speeds and higher levels of understeer at higher cornering speeds. Also Bridgestones that come with the Petra are harder (i guess since they are of a harder compound) so they will last you a long time but probably won't let you push your car to its absolute limits. If you are a sedate driver with no racy intentions, they shud serve you the purpose.

Revv
Old 9th July 2004, 21:06   #8
BHPian

I will definitely give tubeless tires a thought when i upgrade to alloys. It is difficult to decide if i am a sedate driver though
I do occasional highway driving and when i do , usually cruise at around 100-120 kmph.

-Beetle
Old 9th July 2004, 21:13   #9
Team-BHP Support

Beetle,

Considering your car is new, keep in mind that you could also manage to get Rs1400-2000/- per tire in exchange when buying new tubeless tires.

Also since aura alloys seem to be available in the plentiful, you might wanna consider buying only 4 alloys if it helps you save some money.

R

Old 11th July 2004, 15:45   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

beetle
i also suggest u get new tyres on 14 inch rims
after exchanging the whole deal becomes 10000 rs more for that price u get more safety , comfort .......
think about it
Old 7th February 2007, 11:24   #11
BHPian

Hi all,
Not wanted to open another thread for almost same questions.
Car is Petra
I am looking for alloy wheel & Tyre upgrade.
1. My first preference is going for 15'' inches wheel? Is it available in 98pcd in bangalore car market
2. what tyre size should I go for? will 195/60/R15 fit without any change in suspension?

What can I expect for my stock rim and tyres(175/65/R14 S322)( 4 rim/tyres run 8000 Km & 1 rim/tyre run just 10km)

Cheers
GD

Last edited by greatDrive : 7th February 2007 at 11:25.
Old 7th February 2007, 12:21   #12
BHPian

make sure you get the right pcd man-its 98 pcd.alloy dealers may ask you to go in for 100pcd alloys with modifications.i would advise not to follow this opinion of theirs-i am still getting sleepless nights due to an alloy change i did on the same lines!!there is high speed wobble,plus recently the mechanics at tata-fiat ruined my hub too,though they re-threaded it at no extra cost!i would strongly ask you to fit only 98pcd alloys.

i got 1100per tire for my 175/65r14-it had run around 2000km only when i changed!!
Old 7th February 2007, 12:24   #13
BHPian

@GreatDriver
Quote:
1. My first preference is going for 15'' inches wheel? Is it available in 98pcd in bangalore car market
Yes 15" Alloys with 98 PCD is available in bangalore, Just find some time and go to JC road.
Quote:
2. what tyre size should I go for? will 195/60/R15 fit without any change in suspension?
Since your stock tires height is 22.96 inches and 195/60/R15 height is 24.22 there is a difference of 1.26 Inches, so even if you modify your suspension the tires might touch the inner wheel well, be sure to check it out before making this upgrade, You can as well try 195/55/R15 which increases the height only by 0.5 inches.
Quote:
What can I expect for my stock rim and tyres(175/65/R14 S322)( 4 rim/tyres run 8000 Km & 1 rim/tyre run just 10km)
You can get anything between 1000-1300 for each but be sure to negotiate on this you might get another 50-100 bucks extra. Rims!! I suggest you better keem them.

../Mega
Old 7th February 2007, 12:49   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatDrive View Post
Hi all,
Not wanted to open another thread for almost same questions.
Car is Petra
I am looking for alloy wheel & Tyre upgrade.

Cheers
GD
Greatdrive,
As you know I have 195/60/R14 Aura for my Petra. I feel it is better sticking to R14 than R15. Aura dealer may get you 98 PCD wheels on order. No body will be having it in stock.

For the old tyres you can get around 2500-3000. As you know, rims do not have any value(maximum Rs. 500).
Old 7th February 2007, 12:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mega5918 View Post
@GreatDriver

Yes 15" Alloys with 98 PCD is available in bangalore, Just find some time and go to JC road.

../Mega
where in jc road?is it some shop?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks