Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2017, 13:45   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SahilSawant View Post
And yes, as you said I’m going to switch the tires on the back as well. There’s no way I’m going back to pirellis again, leave alone paying 37k. The conti cost me around 25k, which I think isn’t bad for RFT. And hopefully BMW Secure will cover it for me.
Thanks though
Seriously whoever is selling you these tyres is fleecing you. Find out the biggest tyre dealer in your city and go there to buy tyres. They will quote you a proper honest price without you having to waste time bargaining. I was at my usual tyre dealer here in Bangalore just yesterday changing the tyres for my Aunt's Grand i10 (my family puts me in charge of everything to do with their cars ). I inquired about 225/50 R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 or Yokohama Advans of the same size for my Kizashi which will soon need new tyres and he quoted me 11500 - 12500rs per tyre. I believe your car would be running on 17 inch tyres as well of the same size too and for runflats it should not cost more than 18k like I mentioned. Out of curiosity I had asked him how much Pirelli Cinturato runflats cost due to what you had written on this thread and he quoted me 15500 for 94V rated tyres. Please please please don't pay more than 18k per tyre wherever you end up going. Unless I have your tyre size wrong.

Oops just checked and you had mentioned your tyres are for 18inch wheels sorry. In that case 25000 sounds about right per tyre

Last edited by IshaanIan : 21st September 2017 at 13:49.
IshaanIan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2017, 15:51   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
what's opinion about Pirelli P-Zero? Getting standard on a new car, should I try to get these swapped or continue?
P-Zeros are very good performance tyres, though they are rated slightly below PS3/4 on some websites. The difference in performance would be considerably low so please do not waste money on that negligible marginal difference.

OT: What car are you getting that they are coming stock with P-Zeros?
rocksterraghu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 07:25   #18
BHPian

Reposting my issue :
My X1 needs new set of tyres - having run on stock conti for 42k Kms. I have done a lot of research and key points are:
1. Official Conti tyres with ISI mark are not available in India. You can buy genuine Conti only from BMW who imports them from Germany. They dont look at ISI but look for a star mark on the tyre. Rest all Conti tyres are grey/parallel imports and have no warranty and not necessarily fakes but could be old ones or defective ones. Got a quote of 14.5k for 225/50/R17 RFTs purportly from Dubai. BMW price is around 18.2k. The Dealer is willing to offer his Shop's warranty but thats a risk.
2. Bridgestone ISI mark tyres with Warranty are 18.5K. Imported/Grey market ones are 16k
3. Pirelli RFT tyres on X1 are apparently a failure as they have a pulling problem as per BMW team

Now my dilemmas are:
1. whether to go tubeless with so many benefits already covered in length. Cost of tubeless Bridgestone is around 11.5 to 12.5k. But then i need to invest in a donut and compromise on safety/Boot space and spend around 62k including cost of Donut
2. If i decide to go for RFTs (which i am inclined to), which tyres to chose from? Conti or Bridgestone and if its ok to Go for Grey market ones. 74k for ISI bridgestone Vs 64k for Grey ones or around 74k for Conti from BMW.
3. Which are better RFTs- India Certified ie ISI Bridgestone or German Imported Conti?

What do the experts think?
Old 26th September 2017, 07:32   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Got a quote of 14.5k for 225/50/R17 RFTs purportly from Dubai. BMW price is around 18.2k.
No brainer, if you are inclined with RFT and also Conti, go with Dealership. Saving few thousands does not add up. Do factor the possible damage to alloys while fitting outside beside balancing machines are mostly outdated. Better somehow try to manage BMW dealership to not charge for balancing and fitting as it can be a substantial amount if not agreed upon.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2017 at 07:33.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 07:42   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
Reposting my issue :
My X1 needs new set of tyres - having run on stock conti for 42k Kms....

... 64k for Grey ones or around 74k for Conti from BMW.
Your stock tires served you really well. I would happily pay that 10K extra and go with the dealer. The difference of 10K is too small to look for a non-ASS grey market alternative.

Does the quote of 74K include fitment, balancing and alignment?
Old 26th September 2017, 07:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Your stock tires served you really well. I would happily pay that 10K extra and go with the dealer. The difference of 10K is too small to look for a non-ASS grey market alternative.

Does the quote of 74K include fitment, balancing and alignment?
74K is purely tyres from BMW- extras will cost around 7-8k. I will get them fitted outside if i buy from BMW. Any good tyre shop will be able to do. I have had issues with one of my conti tyres a year back with a puncture leaking and not holding at all. So i have got the tyres off the RIM at least 3 times.
I hv now made up my mind to go for official Bridgestone from the Genuine Dealer.
Old 26th September 2017, 08:00   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post
I hv now made up my mind to go for official Bridgestone from the Genuine Dealer.
Each tire is stamped with DOT code, first 2 digits represent the manufacturing plant code. Avoid tires made in China. It can be argued that Bridgestone China or Bridgestone Japan should have the same quality but if I have a choice I would avoid the ones made in China.

You can look up the plant code here:
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...ed-plant-code/
androdev is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 08:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Each tire is stamped with DOT code, first 2 digits represent the manufacturing plant code. Avoid tires made in China. It can be argued that Bridgestone China or Bridgestone Japan should have the same quality but if I have a choice I would avoid the ones made in China.

You can look up the plant code here:
http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/tire-...ed-plant-code/
I was told made in Japan. Whats the code for Japan/China?
Old 26th September 2017, 13:46   #24
BHPian

Update: BMW Secure refusing claim as according to them tyres were not fitted from an authorised BMW workshop. I really hoped that they would consider the kind of situation I was stuck in. Also, the dealer suddenly has Pirelli’s in stock now and has offered to get them fitted on my car. The SA advices to keep the conti’s with me for future use but I’m against that. Storing tyres for future us doesn’t make sense to me.
Anyway, is there any other way to manage this situation? Or should I just go ahead and claim it from my general insurance and forget about BMW Secure?
Would complaining to BMW India help in any way?
SahilSawant is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2017, 23:01   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
BMW Secure refusing claim as according to them tyres were not fitted from an authorised BMW workshop
That's not the right way to support customer, as long as you have Old tyres with you they cannot refuse. Ask them to give you in writing the reason for rejecting your claim and tell that you are going to take this matter legally & you will make BMW India a party to it. You might not have to go via this route but it should be enough to escalate this matter within Dealership. I doubt BMW will refuse such claims.

Quote:
I just go ahead and claim it from my general insurance and forget about BMW Secure?
You lose NCB if you claim via your insurance if at all Tyres are included at first place whereas if you claim via secure it does not affect your regular Insurance.

Quote:
Would complaining to BMW India help in any way?
Sure, once you have got a written rejection from the dealership you should complain. By the way, can you tell what were the reasons given by dealership? Did they just tell you that since you have replaced the tyres outside there will be no coverage? If that's the case can you not take the car with old tyres refitted to the dealership and ask for a replacement?

Wonder why so many complaints are coming against BMW, Germans are known to be logical & will never do something which is technically not correct, Are these changes due to an Indian being made in-charge, perhaps to show his performance he has started questioning such expenses? If that's the case then they have dark days ahead.

Last edited by Turbanator : 26th September 2017 at 23:06.
Old 28th September 2017, 10:59   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
That's not the right way to support customer, as long as you have Old tyres with you they cannot refuse. Ask them to give you in writing the reason for rejecting your claim and tell that you are going to take this matter legally & you will make BMW India a party to it. You might not have to go via this route but it should be enough to escalate this matter within Dealership. I doubt BMW will refuse such claims.

Sure, once you have got a written rejection from the dealership you should complain. By the way, can you tell what were the reasons given by dealership? Did they just tell you that since you have replaced the tyres outside there will be no coverage? If that's the case can you not take the car with old tyres refitted to the dealership and ask for a replacement?
I did have a word with the dealer and also the BMW Secure team. They are refusing the claim as the tyre was not fitted at an authorised BMW Dealer. I tried explaining my situation and how it was impossible to get to an authorised dealer on the spare tyre, but they haven't responded
I still have the damaged tyres with me and the SA tells me that he can replace those by putting new Pirelli's which are back in stock. That means I need to store the Continental's that I bought for future use. I don't think it's a good idea to do so.
Switching to the conti's made me realise how suitable they are for the Indian road conditions and I am not willing to go back to Pirelli's now.

I shot a long email to BMW India last night, now eagerly awaiting their reply.
Old 28th September 2017, 22:01   #27
BHPian

Check out my update here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...n-roads-4.html
Old 5th October 2017, 13:44   #28
BHPian

Update:

I am writing to show how BMW India is taking it's customers for granted.

I wrote a long e-mail to BMW India last week. Attaching it below:
(PS: The letter was addressed by my dad. I am not 52 years old, he is)

After this, BMW India responded and sent their official to inspect the car.

A few days later, BMW Secure responds saying one tyre claim has been accepted, attaching the mail below:

Honestly, I am fed up of writing to them. It feels as if they are doing me a favour. This is the last thing you expect after paying so much for a car. The Hyundai and Toyota team is hundred times better than them at handling customers.

BMW Secure has offered me 65% of the amount of the tyre after depreciation and tax, only for one tyre!
I don't know if I should negotiate with them again for the second tyre or just go ahead and claim the second tyre from my general insurance? Would appreciate quick replies. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-screen-shot-20171005-1.14.45-pm.png  

Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-screen-shot-20171005-1.14.38-pm.png  

Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)-screen-shot-20171005-1.18.55-pm.png  

Old 2nd February 2020, 14:39   #29
BHPian

Tired of tyre failures & replacements on my BMW X1 (F48)

So my 2017 X1(F48) is due for a tyre change this week, have a few questions in mind regarding the same.

1. Should I switch to tubeless or stick to RFT's even though I'm quite fed up with the tyre bursts.
2. If I switch to tubeless, would there be any void in my extended warranty?
3. I was keen on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s however they do not come in the size 225/50 R18 which is originally what is on the car, they come in 235/50 R18, should I go for them?
4. If not PS4s please suggest any other tubeless tyre which I should look for, availability shouldn't be a problem as I stay in NCR.

Need to finish this maybe today or tomorrow before my father travels overseas.

Thanks
Old 26th October 2020, 15:09   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aman-bh View Post

Need to finish this maybe today or tomorrow before my father travels overseas.

Thanks
What did you finally do? I'm also in a similar situation of tyre change due to tyre burst second time in my 14k run. Did you switch to 235/50/R18? This size is only available in Primacy 4 ST.

Appreciate your feedback to help me decide . I'm frustrated with tyre bursts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks