Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 17:57   #1
BHPian

Wheel alignment query.

Hi,

I put Aura alloys and BridgeStone Turanzas this Saturday on my Santro. The tyre dealer did all the fitting. He did wheel balancing but no alignment. His alignment mechanic had also not come that day.

When I asked for alignment he said that just wheel-balancing is sufficient and alignment needs to be done only after 4000KMs. Is this true??

Now my doubt is how will the original alignment be retained when I have changed all my wheels & tyres??

Please respond.

Thanks in advance,
RS
Old 4th December 2006, 22:24   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Where did you get it done in Bangalore ??
Old 4th December 2006, 22:51   #3
BHPian

kick his a$$

when he has changed all 4 just as the balancing is done so should the wheel alignment. get it done asap. it is a MUST

it is very important to get even tyre wear and proper track for the tyre itself.

Last edited by 2fast4u : 4th December 2006 at 22:54.
Old 5th December 2006, 00:20   #4
aZa
Senior - BHPian

ronline : Balanacing and alignment is usually free when u purchase new tyres so get the alignment done ASAP! and what profile tyres have u put ?
Old 5th December 2006, 00:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

get your alignment done. if he says no...then insist that you've spoken to experts and it is a must..FREE OF CHARGE of course...
Old 5th December 2006, 11:33   #6
BHPian

Thanks for your reply guys. I'll ensure that it happens asap. Btw I put 165/65/R13. It looks pretty good. A bigger size would have been a bit disproportionate I think.

Rgds,
RS
Old 5th December 2006, 15:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronline View Post
Thanks for your reply guys. I'll ensure that it happens asap. Btw I put 165/65/R13. It looks pretty good. A bigger size would have been a bit disproportionate I think.
That's a good size on the Santro, have run 3 sets with this size on 2 cars of mine & never had any problems.
Old 7th December 2006, 00:27   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4u View Post
kick his a$$

when he has changed all 4 just as the balancing is done so should the wheel alignment. get it done asap. it is a MUST
Well if you're talking about the "free" part then I guess you'd want to get it done from him or get a credit note made out so you can do it later.Besides that technically speaking you don't need to get your wheel alignment simply 'coz you had your rims taken off the hub and fitted them back.Wheel alignment is done / measured by the tie-rod ends and camber bolts on your vehicle.Since none of these are disturbed while fitment of tyres is done you don't have to worry about your car being misaligned.Just like you don't get your wheel alignment re-done every time you chnage your spare tire after a flat !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d
I'm no expert but here is what they mean in lay mans terms
Wheel balancing means to ensure that is there is no rotational distortion in any wheel. Simple example is to put a wheel on any free rotating rig and rotate it by hand. When it stops rotating mark the point which is towards the ground with a chalk or crayon. Rotate it again, if the wheel is balanced properly the same marked point should not be pointing to the ground. If it is not balanced properly you will find that the chalk mark points towards the ground everytime.
Wheel balancing is done to ensure that the weight is distributed around the circumference of the tire in a uniform manner.As tires are made up of a number of materials like natural rubber,silicon,metal wires,nylon cords etc the weight is not evenly distributed.What happens in this case is that when it rotates the point of the tire that is the lightest is pressed towards the ground more 'coz of the force of centre of gravity,hence you see imbalanced tires having spotty wear.When the balancing weights are added on to the rim thuis problem is solved.It is precisely due to this extra pressure and the tire getting pulled towards the earth with more force at teh point of imbalance that you experience "wobbling" on the steering wheel when you do high speeds on unbalanced wheels.
Old 8th December 2006, 11:32   #9
Team-BHP Support

Note from Mod - Some post have been moved to a more relevant thread > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...alignment.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks