Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2017, 13:13   #1
BHPian

Did my TPMS sensors get stolen by a tyre shop? EDIT: Nope

Guys,

I went in to this transaction some time last year as I got a good deal.
Fulfillment of the 2x Pirelli tubeless tyres happened via this dealer.

IF YOU DRIVE A GERMAN/BRITISH or other exotic machine, BEWARE!!
Your Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors are worth a lot of money (Navnit has quoted Rs 7060/ per piece before Taxes for my F10 525D), and - whatever the car - if it comes with sensors, the temptation is high for unscrupulous dealers as each sensor is probably worth more than he makes as commission per tyre.

Anyway, I only discovered the loss post another puncture on the relatively new Pirelli tyres....I've lodged a Police complaint as he denies any wrongdoing and even tried to argue that the sensors weren't fitted on my car, they were stolen somewhere else etc.

Fact is I only discovered the puncture that caused me to decide to change the rear tyres in the first place as the alert flashed on the dashboard, AND I had to reset the computer after that first puncture was fixed.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2017 at 16:21. Reason: Removing dealer name since no theft took place :)
netchef is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 15:06   #2
BHPian

Re: Bangalore Bridgestone Select dealer Tyre Park-Cherry Agencies steals TPMS from BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by netchef View Post
Guys,

Fact is I only discovered the puncture that caused me to decide to change the rear tyres in the first place as the alert flashed on the dashboard, AND I had to reset the computer after that first puncture was fixed.
Sorry to hear about this, generally this type of incident are rare but plausible. I have few question, on TPMS system that you have. don't take it otherwise, it just to make sure all are on same page.

I know there are 2 type of TPMS systems in cars, direct and indirect. Direct systems are where sensors are in tires, while indirect system works with tire circumference( ABS, speed electronic and algorithm ). Direct system generally don't need any reset switch as each individual tire pressure and sometime temperature are monitored, the trigger point is the pressure, as the right pressure is detected the trigger point is gone without any reset(actual tire pressure would be displayed on display system). You only need to retrain the system if you swap tires. If any of the sensors are out of reach you will anyway get the trigger, I am surprised you where not getting any trigger on the system once your tire were fixed.

Indirect TPMS is where you have a switch to reset the trigger and let the system relearn the tire circumference.
If your system is "reset" based, please check if you have indirect TPMS and in that case you don't have any sensor in any of the tires.

I am not sure about your system please confirm about direct and indirect TPMS.

-Pramod
pramods is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th December 2017, 17:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Bangalore Bridgestone Select dealer Tyre Park-Cherry Agencies steals TPMS from BMW

Quote:
Guys,

my F10 525D
What model year is your F10? The F10's did not come with TPMS sensors, it came with RPA which worked in conjunction with the DSC system and the warning will come up when there is a change in tyre circumference due to loss of air pressure.

An easy way to identify if your car has TPMS is if the Tyre valve is metallic and your on board display shows the exact tyre pressure as well as the temperature.
Maverick5490 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 10:37   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Did my TPMS sensors get stolen by a tyre shop? EDIT: Nope

Quote:
Your Tyre Pressure Monitoring Sensors are worth a lot of money (Navnit has quoted Rs 7060/ per piece before Taxes for my F10 525D), and - whatever the car - if it comes with sensors, the temptation is high for unscrupulous dealers as each sensor is probably worth more than he makes as commission per tyre.
Netchef, as Maverick has posted, our F10s don't have TPMS sensors . Would suggest:

1. Sending a box of sweets to the tyre shop owner to bury the hatchet.

2. Letting the police know so that they can close the case.

Last edited by GTO : 27th December 2017 at 16:21. Reason: Removing dealer name since no theft took place :)
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 11:19   #5
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs Pramods, Maverick5490 and GTO:
Yes, I know the F10 doesn't come with sensors BUT I was informed they could be fitted as an optional extra. Obviously for extra money as well!
Another thing that is contrary to the argument is that I did get an alert on the dashboard when I had my first puncture...and that was when I decided to look for new tyres.
Old 27th December 2017, 11:28   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I did get an alert on the dashboard when I had my first puncture
As explained above by Pramods, F10 does have an indicator for loss of pressure but it does not come with sensors. If I am not mistaken, you cannot retrofit pressure monitoring system either.

Have a look at this picture, if you see something similar in past than your Car was different else do as GTO suggested.
Attached Thumbnails
Did my TPMS sensors get stolen by a tyre shop? EDIT: Nope-1.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th December 2017 at 11:29.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 13:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Disclaimer:

1.Not a BMW owner, neither am I ever likely to be.
2.My knowledge of TPMS is purely based on the information available on the forum.
3.Not related to the dealer in any way.

I was the first and till date the only person to thank the OP for the thread starter post. I did it because I believed in the genuineness of the content.

Now, perusing the subsequent replies, I wish I could unthank it. Accusing someone of a wrongdoing on a public forum - especially one as impartial as ours - needs a lot of thought. A casual reader who might have read only the first post would form an unpalatable opinion about the dealer in question. He might not even return to read the further discussions-developments. Sullied reputation is hard to repair - be it a dealer or a forum.

As suggested by GTO, the OP should - in case he is really wrong in his claims - make amends by extending an olive branch to the dealer and by withdrawing his police complaint. Further, he should request the mods to edit the opening post to reflect the truth of the matter. A slight correction in the title to turn the arrow of suspicion away from the dealer too wouldn't hurt.
dailydriver is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 13:21   #8
BHPian

I know for sure I got an alert BUT I can't recall whether it spoke of pressure at each wheel. In that case, I'd better give him the benefit of the doubt: IT WAS MY MISTAKE.

GTO I believe you have edit rights: could you please either:

1) delete my original message
2) if that's not feasible, at least score out the places where I've written the dealership name and URL etc. and remove the picture

Thanks

Last edited by netchef : 27th December 2017 at 13:22. Reason: left out one thought
netchef is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 13:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) delete my original message
2) if that's not feasible, at least score out the places where I've written the dealership name and URL etc. and remove the picture

Thanks
Mistakes/misunderstandings do happen. No big deal. But I really appreciate your mindset as reflected in the above request. A big thumbs up for your attitude!

I am sure the mods would find a suitable middle path to protect the rightful interests of all the parties involved.
dailydriver is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2017, 23:27   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
at least score out the places where I've written the dealership name and URL etc. and remove the picture
Done earlier today . Since there has been no theft, I have removed the name of the dealer. Now go send him that box of sweets!
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th December 2017, 11:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

This is one of the main reasons I am a fan of this forum. Most of us are unaware of our cars even though we claim to be petrol heads however there will be someone who would have genuine knowledge of the same.
Altocumulus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2018, 15:27   #12
Team-BHP Support

What I want to know is when the F10 didn't come with TPMS sensors how has Navnit quoted you for it?
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks