Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2018, 19:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Michelin Acorus Technology: Flexible tyres that bend, but don’t break

Quote:
Our engineers are always working to improve the safety, resistance and performance of our tires. But how can we guarantee their soundness in the most difficult circumstances? For example, how can we ensure they won’t lose pressure when they hit a pot-hole? Our R&D teams focused outside the tire itself to invent the solution: MICHELIN ACORUS technology. The Incubator program saw an opportunity with this invention and through tests and demonstrations with clients and thanks to an innovative partnership, it became an innovation.
SOURCE
ecenandu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:06   #2
BHPian

re: Michelin Acorus Technology: Flexible tyres that bend, but don’t break

First they ruined the ride quality with low profile tires, now they are trying to fix the bad design, what is wrong in using high profile tires in countries with bad roads. In fact on bumpy road curves high profile tires handle better , and there are more cases in cars where the suspension maxes out before the tire looses grip. Even luxury sedans are ruined by this craze for sports car wannabe.
Frankenstein is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2018, 12:43   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Michelin Acorus Technology: Flexible tyres that bend, but don’t break

This is a great invention! Will be a perfect blend of comfort, handling and aesthetics! Hope this actually makes it to production cars soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
First they ruined the ride quality with low profile tires, now they are trying to fix the bad design, what is wrong in using high profile tires in countries with bad roads. In fact on bumpy road curves high profile tires handle better , and there are more cases in cars where the suspension maxes out before the tire looses grip. Even luxury sedans are ruined by this craze for sports car wannabe.
Some of us do enjoy spirited driving and handling is a priority hence low profile tires do help. Moreover, they even look way better. You are being way too biased here to think we should all be riding on high profile tires because our roads aren't the best.
If you are careful will manage just fine. My daily drive has a 35 profile tyre and over the past 5 years I have not had a single tyre bubble or suspension issue.Inspite of Bombay having some of the worst roads and potholes.

Last edited by Sahil : 2nd February 2018 at 12:50.
Sahil is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 17:27   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Michelin Acorus Technology: Flexible tyres that bend, but don’t break

An idea whose time has come. So many cars today are coming with low-profile tyres and inevitably ending up with a damaged tyre or two (including the Innova Crysta on its R17 tyres).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
First they ruined the ride quality with low profile tires
I agree with you. Am not a fan of low-profile tyres at all. They look awesome, but the price you pay is too high - stiffer ride, higher costs & wheels / tyres prone to damage. Not to forget, even the driver has to be a lot more cautious on typically Indian roads.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2018, 20:21   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Here is the original concept:
Michelin Acorus Technology: Flexible tyres that bend, but don’t break-ycp1tom.jpg

Jokes apart, I would love to have bigger wheel looks if the ride is not too hard. I think this will become a reality.

Last edited by androdev : 5th February 2018 at 20:22.
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 12:12   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
This is a great invention! Will be a perfect blend of comfort, handling and aesthetics! Hope this actually makes it to production cars soon.

Some of us do enjoy spirited driving and handling is a priority hence low profile tires do help. Moreover, they even look way better. You are being way too biased here to think we should all be riding on high profile tires because our roads aren't the best.
If you are careful will manage just fine. My daily drive has a 35 profile tyre and over the past 5 years I have not had a single tyre bubble or suspension issue.Inspite of Bombay having some of the worst roads and potholes.
I too love cars that handle, but they are making it the only option to own, what about people who want a decent handling car in all types of roads and with very luxurious ride quality. Its better to have both the sports version with low profile tires and stiff suspension and luxury version with soft suspension and high profile tires.

Have an Innova Crysta 2.8 that i took from Hyderabad to Bangalore . Though the body control, swaying, horizontal and vertical bobbing was way better than the old one ( which i used a lot in the same route) which i attribute to the suspension and chassis, the tire was not at all able to grip around corners because the road was not super smooth . It crashes for small road chipping too.

Not only on Indian roads, even in Asian countries and Europe these low profile tires give very bad jolts even at the slightest expansion joint , i felt they are unfit for those roads too. There was this issue about ride quality and tires on one of the Mercedes forums too.

Wanted to start a thread on ride quality when i get free.
Frankenstein is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2018, 12:22   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
An idea whose time has come. So many cars today are coming with low-profile tyres and inevitably ending up with a damaged tyre or two (including the Innova Crysta on its R17 tyres).

I agree with you. Am not a fan of low-profile tyres at all. They look awesome, but the price you pay is too high - stiffer ride, higher costs & wheels / tyres prone to damage. Not to forget, even the driver has to be a lot more cautious on typically Indian roads.
In fact roads where i live are very horrible rather godforsaken and a true test of suspension and ride quality where the best fail. 2 tires damaged and an air suspension of the s 500 w221 front right got damaged in one pothole at night where it was unavoidable. Now a days ride is totally gone down, Wish we can do tests like in the below videos and highlight to the manufacturers what they are missing now. Cannot imagine a latest S class, Duster or so called ride quality standards doing that .

See from 2.30, not only 140, there are videos of 124, 115 , 123 etc and even some american cars.

Watch from 1.42

Last edited by Frankenstein : 6th February 2018 at 12:31.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks