Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th January 2019, 12:11   #1

Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?

Hi Team-BHPians,

I have been thinking of installing an Aftermarket TPMS in my car, preferably an Internal one. But I have a concern regarding the Valve Stem that comes along with internal TPMS.
Once I install the internal TPMS, the valve stem in the kit will replace the OE fitted Valve Stem. As it is a critical component for the safety of Tyres, any issue with Valve Stem provided by TPMS vendor will not come under the warranty of OEM. And as far as I understand, the warranty from vendor will cover only TPMS.
I need the support of fellow BHPians that have installed internal TPMS in their cars.
1. Did you face any similar issue during the operation of TPMS? If yes, how did the warranty play out in such scenario?
2. Is it possible to screw the OE fitted Valve Stem with Sensor part of TPMS?
Old 20th January 2019, 22:29   #2
BHPian

re: Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?

At max it can impact the warranty of tires which itself is something that is very hard to actually claim from the tire companies if not impossible. So go ahead with the TPMS. Just curious is the one with a dashboard mounted and battery based display? The valves with TPMS are generally more sturdy than the flimsy ones provided originally.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 00:15   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?

Another thing you need to consider is, the availability of Valve steps for your TPMS module and its quality. I have MGA promoted Schrader made TPMS, and some of the downsides I noticed are:

1. If your valve leaks, you have to change the entire sensor assembly which costs anywhere between 2-4k per sensor, depending upon brand.

2. If you have to change the rim for any reason, same issue again. Since Valve stem isn't available separately for most brands(except Sensairy IIRC), you have to change the entire assembly.

3. If your sensor battery dies down, same sensor unit needs to be replaced.

Basically there is no child part available. I did my research and came to know that even Mahindra vehicles use the same sensor, and for any issue, they have to follow the same procedure.

In US, Schrader sells TPMS service kit which includes separate valve stems, screws etc. But no such kit is available in India.

This is how the internal Schrader sensor looks:

Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?-img20190102wa0018.jpg

Also, there are chinese valves available for Schrader TPMS but somehow I won't trust them for something as important as tyre.

To answer your question,

Quote:
2. Is it possible to screw the OE fitted Valve Stem with Sensor part of TPMS?
Considering your query is for an internal sensor, NO.

Regards,
Shashi

Last edited by Leoshashi : 21st January 2019 at 00:20.
Leoshashi is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st January 2019, 12:24   #4
BHPian

Re: Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leoshashi View Post
Another thing you need to consider is, the availability of Valve steps for your TPMS module and its quality. I have MGA promoted Schrader made TPMS, and some of the downsides I noticed are:

1. If your valve leaks, you have to change the entire sensor assembly which costs anywhere between 2-4k per sensor, depending upon brand.

2. If you have to change the rim for any reason, same issue again. Since Valve stem isn't available separately for most brands(except Sensairy IIRC), you have to change the entire assembly.

3. If your sensor battery dies down, same sensor unit needs to be replaced.

Basically there is no child part available. I did my research and came to know that even Mahindra vehicles use the same sensor, and for any issue, they have to follow the same procedure.

In US, Schrader sells TPMS service kit which includes separate valve stems, screws etc. But no such kit is available in India.

This is how the internal Schrader sensor looks:

Attachment 1839305

Also, there are chinese valves available for Schrader TPMS but somehow I won't trust them for something as important as tyre.

To answer your question,

Considering your query is for an internal sensor, NO.

Regards,
Shashi
There are better aftermarket metal based sensors also available easily which are more durable like the pic below. They have the standard valve inner cores available everywhere and also have removable batteries. The only thing that gets wear and tear is the rubber grommets which is easily available.

Name:  Screenshot_5.png
Views: 1623
Size:  58.7 KB
Mr. Nobody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 13:02   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
There are better aftermarket metal based sensors also available easily which are more durable like the pic below. They have the standard valve inner cores available everywhere and also have removable batteries. The only thing that gets wear and tear is the rubber grommets which is easily available.

Attachment 1839342
Removable Batteries.....I think this must be coin batteries, if I am not wrong. So technically speaking, when the battery dies out, I can replace the batteries without much hassle?
dominater is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2019, 14:13   #6
Team-BHP Support

The funny part here is that till I read this thread it never struck me that there has to be a battery in those sensors to power them (obviously, duh!). But now that the penny dropped it also struck me that my XUV sensors' batteries must be 6-7 years old (as old as the car) and they have not yet conked off!

Bottomline being, you probably won't need to worry about that battery. Chances are that the sensors will conk off much before the batteries in them die out.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:21   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

The Valve Stem is quite an important part of a car's safety. If it gives up, you can have deflation of the tyre.

However, given the nature of any valve stem, cheap or expensive, explosive or sudden deflation is a very remote possibility.

Most of the time cheap valves cause issues in two ways:

1. The valve pin keeps leaking due to poor quality
2. The rubber doesnt seal air tightly due to which you may experience consistent low pressures.

Both of these problems are nuisances but in most cases are not dangerous.

Frankly speaking, warranty on tyres should not depend on the valve stem you use. But then again, what is the value of warranty on tyres given that 99.999% of the tyre damages are due to external impacts?
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:41   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominater View Post
1. Did you face any similar issue during the operation of TPMS? If yes, how did the warranty play out in such scenario?
?
I have a Chinese made TPMS that I got off AliExpress. The quality seems to be way better than the regular rubber ones. The valves also seem to be more reliable and I usually fill the air once in 2 to 3 months now a days. The pressure hardly reduces more than 1 to 2 psi ( it helps that I have new tyres too).

Till now (over a year now) it has been flawless.

When changing / rotating tyres you have to be careful as the Tyre dealer should know how to remove and put it back if required.
deep_bang is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 13:57   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
However, given the nature of any valve stem, cheap or expensive, explosive or sudden deflation is a very remote possibility.
Thanks for the clarification, Boss! While its offtopic, still I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you this. I have TPMS installed, Schrader make. During installation I didn't know that I'll need to change the rims so early, but I have recently laid my hands on some old but unused stock of Aura alloys.

My local tyre shop mechanic says he can easily swap the sensors and it won't affect the seal. But my concern is, should that be reused?? Will it seal as well on the alloys??

Nippon recommends to change the whole sensor assembly which includes the valve stem. They are the service partner of Schrader in India. Even Schrader doesn't recommend reusing the valves.

Now the options I have are:

1. Trust the tyre shop mechanic and reuse the old sensor. JFYI, they were installed 4 months back.

2. Get all 4 sensors at Rs. 2000 per sensor.

3. Get chinese valve stems compatible for my TPMS from Aliexpress. They are very cost effective and as you said, they can be a nuisance but won't be a safety hazard.

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:26   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification, Boss! While its offtopic, still I'd like to take this opportunity to ask you this. I have TPMS installed, Schrader make. During installation I didn't know that I'll need to change the rims so early, but I have recently laid my hands on some old but unused stock of Aura alloys.

My local tyre shop mechanic says he can easily swap the sensors and it won't affect the seal. But my concern is, should that be reused?? Will it seal as well on the alloys??

Nippon recommends to change the whole sensor assembly which includes the valve stem. They are the service partner of Schrader in India. Even Schrader doesn't recommend reusing the valves.

Now the options I have are:

1. Trust the tyre shop mechanic and reuse the old sensor. JFYI, they were installed 4 months back.

2. Get all 4 sensors at Rs. 2000 per sensor.

3. Get chinese valve stems compatible for my TPMS from Aliexpress. They are very cost effective and as you said, they can be a nuisance but won't be a safety hazard.

Kindly advise.

Regards,
Shashi
I am a guy who will never support jugaad. I havent physically seen the sensors you have, so I may be playing it a bit too safe.

But I would spend the extra money and buy new sensors.
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:33   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
I am a guy who will never support jugaad. I havent physically seen the sensors you have, so I may be playing it a bit too safe.

But I would spend the extra money and buy new sensors.
Thanks for the prompt reply. This is the sensor,if the image helps:

Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?-img20190102wa0018.jpg
Leoshashi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2019, 14:34   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

You've posted it before and I've seen it and it doesnt help!
Nikhilb2008 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2019, 12:19   #13
BHPian

Quote:

You can go ahead and use the sensors. Also after market valve stems aren't that iffy after all. I've changed them on dozens of vehicles over the past couple of years and there has been not one complain to date. Just be gentle while unscrewing/screwing the torx screw at the base
Attached Thumbnails
Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?-tpms1-800-x-600.jpg  

Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?-tpms2-800-x-600.jpg  

WasavaTyres is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th June 2021, 16:52   #14
Senior - BHPian

I''m in a similar situation to poster above, so bumping up this old thread.

I have a new i20 with TPMS sensors fitted onto steel wheels. I'm planning to get alloys fitted. So I would need to remove the sensors from the steel wheels and fix them onto the alloys.

Considering that the old valve stems cannot be reused, I started searching for replacements. A bit of googling showed that I would probably need this type of stems "VS 1010"Any adverse impact of the TPMS valve stem?-vs-1010-valve-stem.jpg

Are these easily available? If not what are the alternatives?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks