Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2019, 13:20   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
what is the significance of being so pedantic about the manufacturing month? It's 2018 after all.
0118 & 5218 manufactured tires will have a significant difference in performance, not just because of the shelf life, also on the virtue of how that is shelved in past.
Mr.Boss is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th March 2019, 14:33   #17
Senior - BHPian

re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

If blatant lying, inspite of specifically being asked about the manufacturing date of the tyre cannot be termed fraud, I don't know what can. The dealer is wilfully misrepresenting facts regarding the age of the tyre assuming that the OP doesn't know how the age of the tyre can be worked out. That, in my books, is outright fraud. If people feel its okay, the dealer is just trying to push a sale, I guess it should be just as okay if the OP handed over fake notes to complete the transaction- he's just trying to get his tyres replaced.

If you are losing six months on a tyre that can be used for a maximum of six years, that is not a minor hit we are taking, if your work out the percentage lost over its useful life. The shop can deny discounts and exchange value for old tyres, its their prerogative, nothing wrong in that, but outright lying on a key parameter for the OP is just not done. I guess the tyres harden over age, so there is definitely some hardening that will happen over six months, albeit the impact will be much lower. It's not like the tyres start to harden only after the first six months.

Last edited by longhorn : 11th March 2019 at 15:01.
longhorn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2019, 10:43   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Just asking, please don't shoot me. Won't tires get harder with time? We are talking about 6 months in Chennai heat ?
Cool man. It's a valid question. As far as I know, 6 months is too little time for a tire to face noticeable degradation in storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
0118 & 5218 manufactured tires will have a significant difference in performance, not just because of the shelf life, also on the virtue of how that is shelved in past.
I don't think so Boss. From what I've read about tires, if shelved properly, then tires can have a life of up to 6 years. I'd be happy to change my view if you can direct me to some reliable study/report.

Lal has been in the tire business for decades and I don't know if people are assuming that tires were stored in the open with no protection from the elements like in a road side puncture shop.
Old 12th March 2019, 11:11   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: My experience with Lal Tyres, Chennai

Quote:
if shelved properly*, then tires can have a life of up to 6 years.
I'm speaking about the same * mark (conditions apply)
But please be sure, a 6 year old tire will have a significant deterioration in performance & durability when compared to something newer (how good one may store them)

Quote:
Lal has been in the tire business for decades and I don't know if people are assuming that tires were stored in the open with no protection from the elements like in a road side puncture shop.
Proper shelving is not just a closed environment, stacking (direction & quantity), dry, moisture free & ozone free environment and a lot more to be considered.

Forget decades, even the one in business for a century may fail to comply with the rule book of how to stock tires. Some classic cases I came across,
- Excessive stacking, angled stacking
- Stacking different size (diameter to be specific)
- Partly unwrapped tires and what not, intentionally unwrapped to avoid sliding
- Display tires exposed to heat and sunlight (and happily sold to customers)
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks