Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd October 2020, 15:10   #31
BHPian

Re: BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade

Any reason why you go with 35psi on the rears?

Its very unlikely that it would become a tear like the one you have from small ruptures. As such I don't think the sidewall can tear overtime or slowly on RFTs due to the steel construction of the sidewalls. It has to be due to sudden impact or maybe as you've mentioned, driving on higher/lower tyre pressure which would've caused it to burst open. Also did you notice it after you drove or did you notice it after a driver or someone else drove?

I had the same Eagle F1 tyres and they were the ones that burst open, but they have the MO mark on them so i doubt they'd be substandard. Think its just RFT problems.
Old 24th October 2020, 16:06   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCheeese View Post
Any reason why you go with 35psi on the rears?

Its very unlikely that it would become a tear like the one you have from small ruptures. As such I don't think the sidewall can tear overtime or slowly on RFTs due to the steel construction of the sidewalls. It has to be due to sudden impact or maybe as you've mentioned, driving on higher/lower tyre pressure which would've caused it to burst open. Also did you notice it after you drove or did you notice it after a driver or someone else drove?

I had the same Eagle F1 tyres and they were the ones that burst open, but they have the MO mark on them so i doubt they'd be substandard. Think its just RFT problems.
Sorry for the delayed response. I was waiting to get back my BMW from service to click the below pic.

BMW 530d M-Sport (G30) : Tyre upgrade-a925eeed84a44ab8990958839325c320.jpeg

For 275/40 R18 it shows 32 psi to 39 psi. I choose 34 or 35 psi for rear tyres. When I spoke to BMW service team they told me BMW does not recommend the use of nitrogen air in there vehicles.
They suggested me to use 34 psi for both front and rear tyres.

I noticed both the tyre burst while I was driving. It’s single driven vehicle.
Mahi_37 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 12:16   #33

Hello all!

We're planning to switch to tubeless tyres while taking delivery of our 530i M-Sport. However, dealers don't have stock of 275/40 R18s. I was looking up tyre sizes, and had a doubt.
Can I fit 245/45 R18s in the rear too? The wheel size seems to be the same for both front and rear tyres and it shows they can be used in the sticker on the car too. Anyway, for the 530i 275 rears are overkill.

Kindly advise if 245s are okay in the rear, thanks in advance!
Old 15th July 2021, 12:57   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProximaCentauri View Post
Hello all!

We're planning to switch to tubeless tyres while taking delivery of our 530i M-Sport. However, dealers don't have stock of 275/40 R18s. I was looking up tyre sizes, and had a doubt.
Can I fit 245/45 R18s in the rear too? The wheel size seems to be the same for both front and rear tyres and it shows they can be used in the sticker on the car too. Anyway, for the 530i 275 rears are overkill.

Your car comes with a staggered setup, I believe, dont mess with it. It's a rear wheel drive and 275 at the back will help a lot in putting power down on the tarmac more effectively.

It's a horrible time for tyre shopping especially in the premium sizes. It's taken me months to get 245,275,265 R19 sizes for my cars at realistic prices and MFD. Infact in my S I have 245 PS3 in the front and 275 PS4 at the back due to the import ban.
Every tyre shop gives hope that next month the supply will be better but nothing has changed since nearly 2 years now

My suggestion would be if you dont find the exact size you are looking for then wait it out with the RFTs. I believe the facelist 5 comes with Michelin RFTs which can't be too bad.

Last edited by Sahil : 15th July 2021 at 12:59.
Sahil is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 15:19   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Your car comes with a staggered setup, I believe, dont mess with it. It's a rear wheel drive and 275 at the back will help a lot in putting power down on the tarmac more effectively.

It's a horrible time for tyre shopping especially in the premium sizes. It's taken me months to get 245,275,265 R19 sizes for my cars at realistic prices and MFD. Infact in my S I have 245 PS3 in the front and 275 PS4 at the back due to the import ban.
Every tyre shop gives hope that next month the supply will be better but nothing has changed since nearly 2 years now

My suggestion would be if you dont find the exact size you are looking for then wait it out with the RFTs. I believe the facelist 5 comes with Michelin RFTs which can't be too bad.
Thank you for your response! I am getting the Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 at no-cost exchange in the staggered setup, or Michelin Primacy 4 STs in 245/45 R18 size all round, both options readily availble. Checked with the dealer and it is possible to fit 245s at the rear (actually that is the ideal width for the 9.0" rim and BMW fits slightly oversized 275s).

The car is coming with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP (RFTs) OEM.

As mentioned many times on this forum, reviews of PS4s are amazing! But our only concern is the durability of RFTs after reading all the stories on team BHP. Would you suggest to stick with the PS4 ZPs itself as compared to the above options?

Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 17:07   #36
Distinguished - BHPian

Square setup should not be an issue on 530i.

I prefer Michelin over other brands, I think their quality-control is much better and they also seem to deal with potholes much better.

I would probably keep the RFTs and look for tubeless PS4 for the next set. These are top of the line RFTs, won't feel so good to give them up for Primacy tires. You get to keep the staggered look as a bonus. I don't think one needs to fear RFTs so much unless you regularly have to deal with highways in poor condition.
androdev is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2021, 19:33   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
. Would you suggest to stick with the PS4 ZPs itself as compared to the above options?
Yes I would stick with it as mentioned.

I too swapped for Dunlop’s from rft as free exchange but they were downright average. I reckon Michelin rft are better than tubeless Dunlop’s
Sahil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 13:54   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

As advised by others I would suggest you keep the current Michelin RFT until situation improves.

Also your car will come with complimentary 1 year BMW Secure. So your RFT will be covered for any damage. All you will need to pay for is depreciation for tread used which wont be much.

Stick to staggered setup. Unless 275 section tyre availability is still a problem in future.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 20:46   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Looking forward to your review! My car is currently being fitted with the same Dunlops in the OEM 275 / 245 staggered setup. As much I appreciate the safety provided by the runflats, they are too expensive, stiffer riding and wear out insanely fast (sliding by just 18000 km). No choice of brands either.

Can't wait to complete the tire running-in and take them out for a hard highway drive.
Update after 14000kms and a few track sessions
The tires are still great and continue to provide ride comfort and peace of mind. Haven't faced any issues with these since I put them on and I'm fairly convinced that these are much better for our roads as compared to runflats.

However, after just 20 mins of drifting on a track after 10,000kms of tire wear, the grip seems to have significantly reduced There was some graining on the tyre after the track session and I thought it'd even out after some normal driving, but i was wrong the lowered grip levels are here to stay.

Looking forward to hear about your experience with the Dunlops GTO.

Quote:
Anyway, for the 530i 275 rears are overkill.

Hey Proxima, apologies for the delayed response. My recommendation would be to stick to the stock setup. Not sure what the torque figures of the 530i are but on my 530d the staggered seem right. Also, like I mentioned above, after one track session, the rears seem to be losing traction easily even with TC on! the TC keeps kicking in to cut off the power. Its very slippery with TC off and as fun as it is its not the safest on public roads.
I would assume that 245 on the rears would break traction and lot sooner.

Quote:
I am getting the Dunlop Sport Maxx 050 at no-cost exchange in the staggered setup, or Michelin Primacy 4 STs in 245/45 R18 size all round, both options readily availble. Checked with the dealer and it is possible to fit 245s at the rear (actually that is the ideal width for the 9.0" rim and BMW fits slightly oversized 275s).

The car is coming with Michelin Pilot Sport 4 ZP (RFTs) OEM.
Thanks
I'm surprised the 245/45 seems like a right fit for the rears. There is a significant difference in the width of the rims on the front and rear. I know this for sure as I had to replace all 4 rims and I have one front and one rear as a memento in my house.
however if you have changed to a square setup i'd be very interested to hear from you about your experience.
Cheers!
KingCheeese is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th December 2023, 22:38   #40

I have increased the tyre profile in my 520d to 245 50 r 18. Bought set of ceat sportdrives for 11k each. First impressions are of great grip and silent ride. Handling is down. FYKI i was driving on stock Michelin 3 pzp for 50k kms. No tyre burst but 4 rims cracked in 3 years. Rear suspension struts also damaged and replaced once. One tyre had steel wires coming out and was declared unsafe. So had to change. Lots of small cracks were seen on other tyres. However still 20-30% tread was left.
Sameergarg is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks