Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2020, 16:57   #1
BHPian

VW Tiguan : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Hello, the Tiguan has two options, Comfortline is 215/65 R17 and Highline has 235/55 R18 Run Flat.
Mine is 215/65 R17s. One of my tires developed a bulge on the sidewall at about 23000Kms. They are Hancook OE. I was driving to Kolkata from Mumbai and about 140kms away. Drove slowly and reached Kolkata. Started looking for 2 tires and realised these are not made in India. Also no other car uses these. As a matter of fact most dealers told me that I don’t know how to read the tire size. Called Premjee tyres in Mumbai and two other dealers in Delhi and Cochin and all of them said sorry. Finally one Goodyear dealer took pity on me and through his contacts found a pair of Pirelli’s made in Thailand about one year old lying in Delhi. Beggars can’t be choosers so placed order for those. Got the tires in about 3days and had them fitted. The dealer was very helpful all throughout.
All this took place in January this year.
So now I have Hancook X2 in front and Pirelli X 2 at the rear. No issues at all with handling quality or noise levels. Return drive was done at fairly high speed.
To come to the crux of the matter..
I have been looking on and off for 215/65 R17s since back in Mumbai. Because of Lockdown it went into back burner.
Yesterday I discovered during net search that FALKEN tires carry them in their listing. Of course I could upsize or change the rims to 18inches then lots of options are available.
I don’t want to do that.

Question is what are the reports on FALKEN tires as such? They are made where? Also anybody has any suggestions about the dealer I should go to? No urgency but wish to drive out early October again to visit south.

I would love Pirelli s but nobody seems to be interested in finding me a pair.

Help
Amukherjea is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 07:37   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Tiguan : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Question is what are the reports on FALKEN tires as such?
Average, I guess. 215/65 R17 sure is a weird size. There was an earlier discussion on this tyre size in the Tiguan review thread. Some dealers have Pirellis available.

To me, premium car = premium tyres. If I were you, I would strongly consider upsizing to 235/60 R17 (the sidewall height remains almost the same). You have more brand options in this size, including Michelin. 235 mm width should not pose a problem since the top variant wears that size.

In Bombay, talk to Jitubhai @ Saifee Tyres. More details in the Team-BHP Directory.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th August 2020, 11:34   #3
BHPian

Thank you GTO. I was hoping for a reply from you.

Will talk to Saifee. It is a good idea.

Problem is even 235/60 isnt a very common size. It is the closest to original for swap.

I like the current rims. They look very elegant in my opinion. So dont want to change. Also i am against run flats in Indian conditions particularly my type of driving around away from big cities most of the time. So upsizing to R18s is no no.

Thank you again

Last edited by Jaggu : 11th August 2020 at 11:37. Reason: Adding para break for readability.
Old 11th August 2020, 14:25   #4
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amukherjea View Post
Problem is even 235/60 isnt a very common size. It is the closest to original for swap.
I see the Michelin Primacy which should be your top choice - link.

Quote:
So upsizing to R18s is no no.
Big no no, considering the harsh ride on 18-incher Tiguans.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 09:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maintaining a Mercedes-Benz in India

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
CSC5 is a good choice as are Vredesrein Ultrac & MRF Perfinza. Michelin has some serious competition now and are being stung by their reluctance to establish a manufacturing setup in India for these premium radials.
Hello itwasntme. Since you seem to know about Tyres : )
Could you tell me how do these Hankook's compare to the above makes?

VW Tiguan : Tyre & wheel upgrade thread-img_0308.jpg

Above being stock of the Volkswagen Tiguan I have shortlisted. Wanting to know if a change will be required if I finalise with this car.

As far as Tyres go I only know of Continental's being good, as I got them as an alternate to the then unavailable Michelins, and that there are harder more durable compounds and softer more comfortable but delicate ones.
Thank you.
Old 31st October 2023, 03:07   #6
BHPian

I was having a lot of issues with tires on my Tiguan due to potholes and had to replace my tires 3 times due to sidewall cracks on potholed roads. So I upsized from 235 x 55 x 18 to 235 x 60 x 18. The ride quality has improved. But is it a safe upgrade?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks