Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories > Tyre & Alloy wheel Section
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2021, 20:23   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options

Hi All, I will be getting Hyundai Alcazar in about two weeks, looking to upgrade to a better brand tyres. It comes with JK tyres 215/55 R18. Can you please suggest options available ? I am looking for ride comfort and safety (good breaking performance) as major factors.

Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 20:28   #2
BANNED

re: Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options

Quote:
Originally Posted by funda2max View Post
Hi All, I will be getting Hyundai Alcazar in about two weeks, looking to upgrade to a better brand tyre. It comes with JK tyres 215/55 R18. Can you please suggest options available? I am looking for ride comfort and safety (good breaking performance) as major factors.
A quick google search for other tyres available in 215/55 R18 leads to Continental Ultra Contact UC6. Priced roughly at 12,500.
a4anurag is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2021, 21:24   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
A quick google search for other tyres available in 215/55 R18 leads to Continental Ultra Contact UC6. Priced roughly at 12,500.
Thanks. Any feedback on continental tyres? I have been using Michelin/Yoko all along (last 15yrs or so…)
Old 17th July 2021, 21:55   #4
Senior - BHPian

215/55 R18 is a new size in the market.
Limited options available at the moment. Would suggest to use the OEM Aptera for now and upgrade later once the options build up in market.

UC6 is a good value for money tire. Many people are using them in different cars and are fairly happy with it. Since it was launched recently, the life of the tire is unknown.
kpzen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 31st July 2021, 20:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options

Quote:
I will be getting Hyundai Alcazar in about two weeks, looking to upgrade to a better brand tyres. It comes with JK tyres 215/55 R18. Can you please suggest options available ?
Guess you want to upgrade the size too. If so, 235/50 R 18 would be a good upsize that would retain the stock diameter. A quick look at Michelin website shows the size is existing. However, you may want to check if it's available in the market owing to supply shortage for imported tyres. You can ring up Madhus tyres and check it out. Few months back they helped me source a fifth tyre (Michelin Primacy 4) for my car. In case you are buying Michelin, I would suggest you buy five tyres keeping in mind the possible scarcity in supplies later. The size is available in Continental and Yokohama too.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-screenshot_20210731204703_samsung-internet.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 31st July 2021 at 20:59.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 13:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Guess you want to upgrade the size too. If so, 235/50 R 18 would be a good upsize that would retain the stock diameter. A quick look at Michelin website shows the size is existing. However, you may want to check if it's available in the market owing to supply shortage for imported tyres. You can ring up Madhus tyres and check it out. Few months back they helped me source a fifth tyre (Michelin Primacy 4) for my car. In case you are buying Michelin, I would suggest you buy five tyres keeping in mind the possible scarcity in supplies later. The size is available in Continental and Yokohama too.
Thanks. Checked with Madhus and got to know that they don't have supply of this Michelin. They have Yoko C Drive available though...
funda2max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2021, 11:12   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Checked with Madhus and got to know that they don't have supply of this Michelin. They have Yoko C Drive available though...
Update : I was offered just 2k/tyre for the Apollo stock and Continental is around 12.3k/tyre, Yoko C drive is 18.5k/tyre. I feel buyback is too low. Any comments from others and recommendations for good tyre shops in South Bangalore (above prices were given by Madhus, Lalbagh)

TIA
Old 10th September 2021, 19:08   #8

Congratulations on your new car! What size tyre did you go for?

Apologies though, as I do not have any answer to your query. Actually, I too was planning to ask the same question but I found this post via the first few results of Google. So, I figured I'd just ask my question here to make it more convenient for other Alcazar owners with the same question in mind.

Adding to that, I'd really appreciate it if esteemed members could comment if 235/60/R18 tyres would feasible for Alcazar?
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:20   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRM Lotha View Post
Congratulations on your new car! What size tyre did you go for?

Apologies though, as I do not have any answer to your query. Actually, I too was planning to ask the same question but I found this post via the first few results of Google. So, I figured I'd just ask my question here to make it more convenient for other Alcazar owners with the same question in mind.

Adding to that, I'd really appreciate it if esteemed members could comment if 235/60/R18 tyres would feasible for Alcazar?
I didn't upgrade tyres yet since asking price for the stock tyres were too low. If I get some extra money, i will probably go with Continental. I think 235/60/R18 will be taller and might touch the car during drives.
funda2max is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2021, 16:48   #10

Quote:
I didn't upgrade tyres yet since asking price for the stock tyres were too low. If I get some extra money, i will probably go with Continental. I think 235/60/R18 will be taller and might touch the car during drives.
I see! Thanks for the reply though. Low profile tyres are a nightmare almost all over India but even more so in our state, Nagaland.
CRM Lotha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th September 2021, 18:45   #11
BHPian

Update : I went ahead and managed to get Yoko C drive 2 (MO approved) 235/50 R18. Thanks to Madhus tyres, Lalbagh manager Mr Mohsin, i could get a good deal.

Stock tyres - 3,000/- per tyre
Yoko - 17,800/- per tyre.

Some pictures are attached.

I would recommend this profile & tyre (Yoko C drive 2, MO approved) to anyone who has Alcazar as they are 100 times better than the stock Apollo tyres. Ride is very smooth, comfortable and minimal road noise.

I didn't opt for Continental as it was of stock size (215/55 R18) and wanted to upgrade for smoother/controlled drive.
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-img_8608.jpg  

Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-whatsapp-image-20210924-5.07.43-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-whatsapp-image-20210924-5.07.45-pm-1.jpeg  

Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-whatsapp-image-20210924-5.07.45-pm.jpeg  

Hyundai Alcazar | Tyre upgrade options-whatsapp-image-20210924-5.07.44-pm.jpeg  

funda2max is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 16:40   #12
dew

Quote:
Update : I went ahead and managed to get Yoko C drive 2 (MO approved) 235/50 R18. Thanks to Madhus tyres, Lalbagh manager Mr Mohsin, i could get a good deal.

Some pictures are attached.

I would recommend this profile & tyre (Yoko C drive 2, MO approved) to anyone who has Alcazar as they are 100 times better than the stock Apollo tyres. Ride is very smooth, comfortable and minimal road noise.

I didn't opt for Continental as it was of stock size (215/55 R18) and wanted to upgrade for smoother/controlled drive.

Hello, Congrats, these tyres look great on your Alcazar!

I am thinking of up sizing my Alcazar prestige's 215/60 r17 to 235/55 r17

I have few questions:

1. After you upgraded did you see any clearance issues?
2. Any drop in ground clearance?

Could you please share some more pics of the car from the front (low) or rear (low) where the width of the tyre is visible.

Thank You!
Old 11th August 2022, 19:07   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dew View Post
Hello, Congrats, these tyres look great on your Alcazar!

I am thinking of up sizing my Alcazar prestige's 215/60 r17 to 235/55 r17

I have few questions:

1. After you upgraded did you see any clearance issues?
2. Any drop in ground clearance?

Could you please share some more pics of the car from the front (low) or rear (low) where the width of the tyre is visible.

Thank You!
Check out these posts where BHPians have upgraded to 235/55R17 on Seltos (which has same platform as Alcazar)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I fully agree here and can relate to most things you've mentioned in the post. I had switched to the very same set up on day 2 after taking delivery of my Seltos, a diesel mill with AT box.

The tyre upgrade and upsize is something which I religiously do whenever new cars are bought and it's always been Michelins for me since 2006. My love affair with Michelins started when I switched to them in my Fiesta TDCi with a 195/60/R 14 back in 2006. Boy, how it transformed an already brilliant handler was a revelation of sorts.

Coming back to Seltos, it was clear during my test drives that the stock Good Year Assurances had to go as soon as I get the car. Few months later when I happened to drive my friends' Seltoses with stock tyres, I could make out the massive difference in the comfort, grip and the much improved ride quality and the enormous confidence these wider Michelins provide on Seltos. I feel even the steering feels a tad heavier to my liking with these tyres.

It's a 100% worthwhile upgrade for Seltos and worth every penny. Also glad to know, Michelin stocks are slowly coming back into the market. When the import restrictions and the resultant short supplies were at it's peak, I had to frantically hunt for a fifth tyre since I had only bought four of them during the upgrade. Eventually, I managed to find one and had to pay through the nose, was billed at ₹16,300/- including warranty.

Here's the Michelin Man(bibendum) adorning my dash and few pictures of my Seltos with the Michelins, 235/55/R 17.

Attachment 2338954
Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Update: New Tyres (Upsized);

A very exciting update for this thread and an upgrade which I wanted to do since the time I bought the car is finally done;

Attachment 2337928

Michelin Primacy 4ST Tyres (Size 235/55 R17);

Attachment 2337929

^ These are Feb 2022 manufactured and were installed couple of months back (May 2022)

Installation was done at Super Tyres' New Workshop in Mulund West;

Attachment 2337940

Attachment 2337939

Here's a pic of the TPMS;

Attachment 2337938

The immediate difference is the looks & overall aggressive stance, here's a comparo with the OE 215's on the left;

Attachment 2337930

Kindly note this upsize has a Diameter Variance of only 0.07%.

Attachment 2337931

Attachment 2337932

Ride Quality;

This is where most of the improvements have been noticed. Michelins have truly transformed the ride of the Seltos. I correctly remember the ride of the OE Good Years (When New) and it was nowhere close to what these are when new, hence its definitely not a case of just new rubber v/s old. Overall the Michelin compound is soft (& should remain soft longer knowing Michelin). For Seltos owners who need more comfort and dont want to downsize the rims then this setup will surely satisfy you.

Highway Performance;

The Seltos was always a great handling car, thanks to the overall tuning of the suspension (being on the stiff side), chassis & also the drive modes which gave good steering feel when in Sport Mode. Now with this upsize & great rubber has unlocked that hidden potential of this Kia. I'd like to discuss the improvements as under;

Highway Driving on Concrete Roads (Like in this case Mum-Pune Expressway);

Attachment 2337946

Substantial improvements on this surface as the older Good Years were losing grip and a lot of careful acceleration was required because of the choppy nature of the earlier tyres. Michelins have not only inspired confidence but also helping in putting down the power much better on one of the least preferred road construction types for the enthusiasts.

Highway Driving on Tar roads;

Attachment 2337953

Excellent Performance on this road surface. The Braking performance has also enhanced. The car is most enjoyable now with the upgraded setup on this road type.

Driving on Mountain/Ghat Roads;

Attachment 2337947

More than the Rubber Quality the upsize has come into play to aid better handling performance & reduced understeer in the twisties.

Driving in the Wet;

Its the 1st Monsoon for the new tyres and so far its been a great feeling with this upsize. This Setup is also a psychologically boost on wet roads.

Attachment 2337948

Fuel Economy;

Attachment 2337949

To those concerned before it turns into a FAQ let me address that the FE is all related to the way you drive. Hence even though technically the Fuel Economy should reduce marginally but if driven well the Seltos 1.4 Turbo DCT can still be economical. Like in the above case I was able to get 19.4 km/l with controlled cruising at highway speeds on these upsized tyres.

Conclusive Thoughts;

This upgrade was done when the odometer reading was just under 23k kms. Even though the OE Good Years' had about 50% life left in them but I went ahead with this upsize as I could not resist waiting any further to explore the handling & ride benefits. My above thoughts are based on driving about 1500 kms on this new upsized setup;

Attachment 2337934

It will be fair to say that finally my GT Line has the shoes to match its nomenclature
Old 10th February 2023, 08:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:

Bumping up this thread.

A question on your new size, isnt the sidewall of this tyre shorter than the stock tyres by 2%? No fear of size walls pinches or cuts due to bad roads and sharp pothole drops?
Old 10th February 2023, 10:02   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmeneo View Post
Bumping up this thread.

A question on your new size, isnt the sidewall of this tyre shorter than the stock tyres by 2%? No fear of size walls pinches or cuts due to bad roads and sharp pothole drops?
Better to go for 235/55R18 which will be a shade over 3% higher diameter but still will not foul with your wheel arches - have seen people fit this size on the Seltos X Line which also comes on 215/55R18s. Will be better than 235/50 in terms of comfort and resistance to sidewall damage.

Even 225/55R18 (which is the Tucson’s stock size) is available but being an odd size the options are limited, but yes it’s available on Vredestein Ultrac Vortis

Last edited by RubberGuru1113 : 10th February 2023 at 10:09.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks